Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Suburban Flow  (Read 3149 times)

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
Suburban Flow
« on: April 22, 2019, 03:08:53 am »
Ligustrum japonicum, or Japanese privet (Japanese: ネズミモチ)

Video does not capture the volume of the bees, or the intoxicating scent.

https://youtu.be/fRML8M7I1mo

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Suburban Flow
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 10:32:20 am »
I?m surprised that I cannot hear them on the video. There is a lot of background noise. Often times I hear the buzz of the bees and start looking to see which tree they are in. It is not uncommon to hear the bees working a tree from 60 feet away.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 11:24:51 pm »
Yes Jim, we are on .53 acre buffered by a recreational easement between us and a busy street.  So my iPhone picked up ambient road noise over the bees. I'll post another clip next, showing two of our 12 Japanese Privet.  These two are at the front door, and the bees are quite noisy overhead.

This photo below the confederate jasmine.  Both the privet and jasmine mature quickly, and can have thousands of blooms just 3 or 4 years from time of planting. They are usually available in local nurseries.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 11:43:08 pm by FloridaGardener »

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 11:34:38 pm »
Just 2 of the 12 on the property.  They grow like mad so we cut them back after the bloom.

https://youtu.be/_2hswJMCozY

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 05:56:05 am »
JT,
Do your bees go near the Jasmine?  It smells great and very strong. We have it in Jacksonxille right next to where I had the apiary and the bees never touched it. Pretty sure it made bees sick if they did.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin