Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What can go wrong will go wrong  (Read 4356 times)

Offline Bradley_Bee

• New Bee
What can go wrong will go wrong
« on: March 26, 2019, 12:38:36 pm »
The Bees are back from Almond Pollination and so am I. They came back Saturday morning on my Birthday.  I was able to get them all unloaded with the exception of 2 pallets as the forklift malfunctioned.  I did what all good beekeepers do in a bind. I pulled my veil on and kept working. Made a little video of the process so I could laugh at myself later. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/WX2fSwsYMjo

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: What can go wrong will go wrong
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 01:08:23 pm »
Bradley - I like your videos. Thanks for posting. That's "the hard way" to do it.  :grin:

Alan
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 02:33:32 pm »
I think I would have fixed the fork lift.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 07:54:01 am »
For once I agree with Ace. 😀
Thanks for posting.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 10:37:36 am »
Happy Birthday!

I once had to do a similiar stunt. Semi full of bees bumped over a curb-stone and the hives came apart. Just didn`t have a suit with me....  :wink:

Nice bees!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 03:23:06 pm »
I was transporting my bees to Jacksonxille last year and unbeknownst to me, the back 2 hives were hanging off the back of the trailer. A woman drove by on the highway and pointing backwards. I figured I had a strap hanging off and as soon as I was able to pull over I did so at a pretty good speed to get out of the way of traffic. It was pretty bumpy and one hive dropped to the shoulder and busted open. We fixed the hanging hive and then I went to get the other one. I was expecting them to bee real mean but you would have thought I had just smoked my calmest hive in my Apiary. I put the frames back in the box and loaded them up. That hive is still alive today.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bradley_Bee

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 01:42:26 pm »

I didn't have much of a choice with the sun coming up. My spare was in the shop. I wasn't quite in my right mind either. My father had passed away the prior week and on a side note his funeral was that day. I had to act fast. The following day the forklift fired right up and worked fine..... I believe a solenoid over heated. - such is life.

Offline Bradley_Bee

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2019, 01:43:04 pm »
I was transporting my bees to Jacksonxille last year and unbeknownst to me, the back 2 hives were hanging off the back of the trailer. A woman drove by on the highway and pointing backwards. I figured I had a strap hanging off and as soon as I was able to pull over I did so at a pretty good speed to get out of the way of traffic. It was pretty bumpy and one hive dropped to the shoulder and busted open. We fixed the hanging hive and then I went to get the other one. I was expecting them to bee real mean but you would have thought I had just smoked my calmest hive in my Apiary. I put the frames back in the box and loaded them up. That hive is still alive today.
Jim Altmiller

Man, I tell ya!

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 10:16:59 pm »

I didn't have much of a choice with the sun coming up. My spare was in the shop. I wasn't quite in my right mind either. My father had passed away the prior week and on a side note his funeral was that day. I had to act fast. The following day the forklift fired right up and worked fine..... I believe a solenoid over heated. - such is life.

Sorry about your dad.

But what is it about getting in a hurry with bees? I make the worst decisions, get super frustrated, and the bees have to compensate whenever I get in a time pinch.

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 02:24:12 am »
can`t leave them on the truck if you need the truck.
taking them down the next day WILL work, but the bees will be disoriented, having found their home on the trailer-bed.
so the foragers will go into the hive closest to the former location and you probably end up with some boxes extremly filled with bees and some others emptied some.
doesn`t make for fast work in the future.

Offline Bradley_Bee

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 11:09:10 pm »
It was better just to offload them right there than to drive to town and park it in a field for a day or two. I weighed my options

anything