Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A Robbing Question  (Read 1747 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
A Robbing Question
« on: August 25, 2020, 12:13:50 am »
I have a question that I would like verication on the answer that I received from an oldtimer. The oldtimer said. If you have a robbing frenzy, all you have to do remove all the tops in that yard, the bees will be to busy protecting their own hive, they won't have to worry about robbing other hives, stopping any robbing in that yard. I do not know if he was pulling my leg or serious. Can anyone here verify? Thanks in advance.

PS sounds like a leg puller to me.  :shocked: :shocked: :grin:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
A Robbing Question
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 03:20:06 am »
A good way to stop robbing is to put feed out at a spot close enough to smell it but far enough to draw attentions well away from hives and nucs.   
Also, look for different bees.  Some strains have much stronger robbing tendencies than others.
As fo popping lids. . Never dunnit. 
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
Re: A Robbing Question
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 08:01:39 am »
I was told the same thing when I started keeping bees.  I have never tried the technique because reducing entrances has always worked for me. 

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 08:13:59 am »
I?d be weary of trying that. I would think the strong hives would be able to do both.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 08:22:04 am »
I?d be weary of trying that. I would think the strong hives would be able to do both.

I am weary of that also. At least until someone here confirms it is true and has already tried it.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 08:29:27 am »
I was told the same thing when I started keeping bees.  I have never tried the technique because reducing entrances has always worked for me.

Thanks AR. Maybe it was a practiced and used many years ago by a few in the know? Oh well, Until I hear of confirmation I would be cautious of trying it, due to realistic suspensions.

Offline beesonhay465

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 09:59:14 am »
newbee , year and 1/2. this spring i fed my one hive . roaster pan of syrup inside the hive with a false super. the robbers were out in force. i screened the whole front of the hive leaving only 1 in. of room at the top.this worked very well .

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 02:12:49 pm »
My bees are relentless once robbing begins, they will not stop.  I tried many techniques which all failed, even moving and hiding the robbed hive.

The only way I found to stop robbing is this:  In the evening, leave the robbed hive body in same location, remove all bees and frames to new hive body, relocate the new hive, then replace the frames with empty frames into the original robbed hive.  When the robbers return they find an empty hive, empty frames, figure the bees absconded and give up.  This has worked for me every time.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 09:18:45 pm »
I will wait for someone to try the lid lifting on a small group first.
As our bees are in 50,s or 100,s is a group, if it didn't work we would have a huge mess.
We had 100 hives in place for Winter, then brought in another 50 that had been collecting a trickle of nectar. the original 100 smelt the honey and it was on, reducing entrances, putting bush in front of the entrances for a screen all failed.
Finally gave up, shut the entrances and reloaded the 50 and took them to a new site with no other bees.
As I drove away there was a stream of robbers blowing off the hives.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 09:25:58 pm »
Oldbeavo I am not by any means recommending trying this. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it and if it does indeed work. I would not try it either until I was confident that others were successful.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 10:17:03 pm »
And the robbers will be back tomorow, you gonna go take the covers off again. But I have heard of it before, knew a commercial that would go down the line of hives throwing all the covers off when pulling supers for extraction.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 10:36:20 pm »
I will wait for someone to try the lid lifting on a small group first.
As our bees are in 50,s or 100,s is a group, if it didn't work we would have a huge mess.
We had 100 hives in place for Winter, then brought in another 50 that had been collecting a trickle of nectar. the original 100 smelt the honey and it was on, reducing entrances, putting bush in front of the entrances for a screen all failed.
Finally gave up, shut the entrances and reloaded the 50 and took them to a new site with no other bees.
As I drove away there was a stream of robbers blowing off the hives.

Mr. Beavo, that is a totally cool story,  good to know.  I only know bees from a hobbyist point of view.  Question regarding the 50 hives that were robbed.  Was there any spills that might have tipped off robbers?  Were the 50 hives strong as the 100 that robbed?  Cheers to you down under folks.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2020, 08:56:17 am »
When we loaded these bees the night before we could just smell a little honey, the next day if we could smell it the night before then the bees could definitely smell it.
I just didn't expect the mass robbing that went on.
The 100 hives had been on the wintering sight for a few days, there is nothing there for them and so they were hungry for new feed.
They were about the same strength, all doubles with honey in the supers.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 10:00:06 am »
Phillip,
Michael Bush has made the same statement about opening the lids and he was not trying to pull our leg.
Maybe he will clarify.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2020, 10:39:56 am »
Good, thanks Jim sounds good, Mr Bush should know...