Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB Can Sometimes be Horrendous.  (Read 5241 times)

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
Re: SHB Can Sometimes be Horrendous.
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2020, 05:09:31 pm »
Exactly right Kanga, that one will have 150-200 beetles in it. Put it between the outside frames as the beetles don't like to be in the bee traffic. We run them in the supers under the lid for easy access. SHB are often up there to get away from bees.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2020, 05:33:33 pm »
Just got done swapping some solid bottom boards with some that I modified with screens and oil pan.  A couple of the hives were in a very bad mood.  Understandable considering when I pulled the bottom box of the bottom board, it was solid bees chasing beetles.  With probably a hundred or more trapped in the corners.  Every hive was like that.  Unfortunately I got behind with my bees earlier this year and before I new it I had several hives slimed by beetle larva.  That is probably a contributing factor in the beetle numbers that I have now.  Once I get the rest of my bottoms switched over, the pans will have oil in them until The numbers are back in single digits per hive or less.  I don't know how many larva that I have killed this year already but it would probably be close to filling a five gallon bucket.

Cao:
Indiana?  I though that was to far north for small hive beetle?  Shows what I know.  Looks like Cao has his hands full dealing with the beetles.  Cao, this year I placed a cup full of lime dust in the soil in front of each elevated hive.  This has helped me tremendously.  The larva are burned by the lime dust as they try to bury in the ground as the larva exit the entrance.  The bee hive is about 18 inches above ground so the bees don?t seem to mind the alkaline soil.

Lime is cheap and easy to apply: just place about one cup on the ground below the elevated entrance.

Cheers
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2020, 06:17:28 pm »
Exactly right Kanga, that one will have 150-200 beetles in it. Put it between the outside frames as the beetles don't like to be in the bee traffic. We run them in the supers under the lid for easy access. SHB are often up there to get away from bees.

That sounds GREAT!  I am glad you brought this up Oldbeavo and glad Kanga explained there is  a difference in beetle jails.  I might have never known.  :shocked: :grin:

Thanks friends.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2020, 01:14:13 pm »
I found this. Kanga and Oldbeavo. It has the same address as the beetle jail that I posted. I am thinking the same company makes each. I like this, especially since you recommend it Oldbeavo. According to this video the trap does not have to have oil in the trapping compartments. I would like to ask you some questions.

Do you need to remove a frame in order to make room for this trap?

If not and the frames are slid tight together, this may leave a wider gap between the frame and hive body wall where the trap may go. Do bees make bur-comb in this area under the trap? If frame is not removed, will bees make bur-comb in the excessive empty places under the trap etc?

Do you use oil in the trapping compartments or just in the bateing compartment?

Thanks!
Phillip

https://youtu.be/UgC2PHHxo7g
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2020, 03:11:17 pm »
I found this. Kanga and Oldbeavo. It has the same address as the beetle jail that I posted. I am thinking the same company makes each. I like this, especially since you recommend it Oldbeavo. According to this video the trap does not have to have oil in the trapping compartments. I would like to ask you some questions.

Do you need to remove a frame in order to make room for this trap?

If not and the frames are slid tight together, this may leave a wider gap between the frame and hive body wall where the trap may go. Do bees make bur-comb in this area under the trap? If frame is not removed, will bees make bur-comb in the excessive empty places under the trap etc?

Do you use oil in the trapping compartments or just in the bateing compartment?

Thanks!
Phillip
I use these when the beetles get bad, and I personally do put oil in them.  I would think with live beetles in there, you'd have to freeze it or something to kill them before you opened it, or they'd just fly out.  I just put vegetable oil in the large compartments, and nothing in the baiting compartment.  I have never baited mine, since I'm worried about drawing beetles in.  If you put the trap between the last frame and the wall, where there is a little extra space, you don't need to remove a frame.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2020, 03:44:58 pm »
BenFramed, I purchased the beetle jail from amazon.  I use apple cider vinegar to attract and drown the beetles.  The jail fits snugly between the frames, no need to make additional room.  The cider I used evaporated in about a week.  I placed 3 jails in one hive and the traps did catch beetles.  Currently at my apiary, the beetles are few in number this last part of August.  I am not sure why? Drought, maybe?  Limed soil?

I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2020, 05:39:17 pm »
About 1/8" of vege oil in the large sections either side of the bait.
They fit nicely between frame or box, no burr comb.
Never run them without bait. I don't know what triggers the beetles to invade one hive more than others but find that the worst invaded hives can be down on bees.
Though we have had a triple invaded that had plenty of bees.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2020, 06:24:01 pm »
Thanks all.

Online cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2020, 12:48:05 am »

This is one of the pans on my modified screen bottom boards that I swapped out for the solid bottom.  It has been on there for about a week.  I am about half way done modifying and replacing the bottom boards on my hives. 

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2020, 01:11:54 am »
Looks like hundreds! You are doing a good job of getting rid of those rascals Cao! How did you set yours up?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2020, 02:01:39 am »
Looks like hundreds! You are doing a good job of getting rid of those rascals Cao! How did you set yours up?

Meaning, how did you modify your bottom boards to fit you needs such as pan size, bottom slot for pan, etc.
When I built mine, I could not find the correct size pan for the size of my hives so I custom made pans out of flashing. Your pans look to be common baking pans or similar? I am supposing you cut the holes in the bottom board to complement your pan size. Number 8 hardware cloth? Thanks.

Online cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2020, 10:34:21 am »
The pans were the cheapest that I could find that would fit under both 8 and 10 frame equipment.  They are 6 1/2" x 9 1/2" Wire in Rim Aluminum Bun Pans that were bought at www.webstaurantstore.com for less than $2.50 each.  I milled out holes and covered with #8 hardware cloth.  Then I cut some rails that screw under the bottom board that the pan rests on.  Since I was modifying solid bottoms, I did not want a large pan.  I'll post a couple pics later.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2020, 10:45:30 am »
The pans were the cheapest that I could find that would fit under both 8 and 10 frame equipment.  They are 6 1/2" x 9 1/2" Wire in Rim Aluminum Bun Pans that were bought at www.webstaurantstore.com for less than $2.50 each.  I milled out holes and covered with #8 hardware cloth.  Then I cut some rails that screw under the bottom board that the pan rests on.  Since I was modifying solid bottoms, I did not want a large pan.  I'll post a couple pics later.

✔︎ Good Job.

You should have these pest, (SHB) under control soon.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2020, 12:14:31 pm »
Didn?t see as many SHBs yesterday during inspections.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2020, 12:28:01 pm »
Didn?t see as many SHBs yesterday during inspections.

Nock are you doing anything in particular in SHB control?  I noticed a little over a week ago in your post, you had noticed an increase in your hives. Glad to hear things are better.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2020, 01:50:21 pm »
Nothing yet. They never have gotten to the point I need step in. I just kill them as I see them.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2020, 04:04:13 pm »

This is one of the pans on my modified screen bottom boards that I swapped out for the solid bottom.  It has been on there for about a week.  I am about half way done modifying and replacing the bottom boards on my hives.

Cao, that an incredible number of beetles.  Sorry you have to deal with such.

A few years back, there was a feral hive seeding my apiary: approx, 40 beetles per day.  Finally the feral hive died and my beetle problem was mostly solved.  I still have beetle problems but not like when the feral hive was seeding.  I also placed lime in the soil as previously texted.

I hope your beetles soon freeze, I know the grief,,, all to well.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2020, 10:08:15 pm »
https://illawarrabeekeepers.org.au/catching-small-hive-beetle-how-to-prepare-and-deploy-lantern-traps/

Thanks for posting.
I tried this beetle trap last year and I caught honeybees as well as beetles so I do not use.

Offline Garigal

• House Bee
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2020, 02:18:58 am »
I've had mixed success and I usually just catch small flys and one or two beetles, occasionally a bee. Could easily mesh over the holes to only allow SHB through.

Currently trying different additives find something more attractive to SHB.

anything