Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rescue Operation  (Read 8661 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Rescue Operation
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2020, 11:32:20 am »
What a surprise, I found the queen still alive!

Where there's life, there's hope.

I wonder if I can get them built up to overwinter in a nuc.

Don't have a clue how to do that!  LOL

How many frames of bees do you have? How much brood does she now have in this hive?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2020, 05:38:29 pm »
I do not see any brood that might be hers.

When she was released she looked small, barely as big as a worker bee.

When I saw her this time she was larger, like a regular queen.

This situation has me stumped.

I wonder if the heat is a factor.  We've had terribly hot temps here, days at a time over 100, and a couple 111 and 113.

But they are not bearding and not visiting the bird bath.  I think the syrup and/or flow is satisfying their water needs.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2020, 07:04:46 pm »
The reason I ask about the approximate amount of bees is because you had ask about consolidating to a nuke. The queen should be laying if nectar and pollen are both coming in at a good amount. (As dictated by the amount of bees capable of tending to this brood.) If you do not have a robust amount of bees then the nuke may be a good tool as an aid for a faster buildup before winter. In my opinion, I would do just that, consolidate into a nuke. Open feed pollen substitute Ultra Bee, (because of SHB, you certainly can't afford that problem with an already weak hive), and sugar syrup to help as both pollen and nectar (or sugar syrup) is a must for building much needed brood.

In your case the sooner the better, fall is fast approaching. A nuke will make it easier for the bees to keep the box warm in raising brood if you do not have many frames of bees in this hive. A smaller space in your case will also make it easier for bees to fight off SHB and wax moths. A good way to feed this nuke in your case, (again in my opinion), is an in box frame feeder, (at least a gallon size with the built in ladder system to avoid drowning bees), or a hole cut in the top, the correct size (70mm) for an added quart or larger feed jar. I would also treat with OAV, (just in case and in due time), as this hive will need all the help it can get. Wishing you the best.

. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 07:19:05 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2020, 09:28:46 pm »
I sure wouldn't pour OAV on them unless you had a bad mite problem.

Be careful with the feed quality.
I'm getting late two-frame splits, and teeny tiny late swarms to go BOOM with this formula:

4 lb bag of white CANE sugar
1/4 c brewer's yeast
3000 mg vitamin c powdered capsule contents
50-75mg cal-mag-d3 powdered capsule
120 mg zinc powdered capsule
pinch of salt
Mix dry ingredients. Add warm -not hot water- to stop HMF forming.

Science shows bee larvae needs nutrients.  It's the diff between living on orange juice vs pepsi.  Neither are as good as vegetable juice, but at least you won't get scurvy.

If it's really hot, are you insulating/shading your hive?  I mean, why stress them out if you've put all this work into saving them?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2020, 09:59:53 pm »
> I sure wouldn't pour OAV on them unless you had a bad mite problem.

I would not pour an Oxlic on them either.   OA(V) V standing for vapor, and would do that "in due time".  I have not tried it, but the OAST method is supposed to work well also. As far as a bad mite problem, this hive is already in trouble. An alcohol wash would be out of the question in my opinion as this hive is (probably) short of bees as it is. I suppose a sugar shake would be ok? If....

.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 01:22:17 am by Ben Framed »

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2020, 11:30:22 am »
There was no brood for quite a while so no way for mites to produce.  A brood break is one of the reasons I wanted them to swarm.

As it is now there are probably two frame's worth of bees inside.  There are a couple dozen capped brood and a few larva.  But it does not seem like the larva are being fed -- no jelly around them -- they are loose in the cells.  ???
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2020, 11:57:38 am »
There was no brood for quite a while so no way for mites to produce.  A brood break is one of the reasons I wanted them to swarm.

As it is now there are probably two frame's worth of bees inside.  There are a couple dozen capped brood and a few larva.  But it does not seem like the larva are being fed -- no jelly around them -- they are loose in the cells.  ???

I normally would probably just let this hive go. But per your title, this is a Rescue Operation;
It is good that you have larvae. Not good that they are not getting fed. This hive needs immediate attention of at least three things maybe four. I recommend all four. There may be others needs that I am not aware of.

Nurse bees. Do you have another hive nearby that you can collect resources of nurse bees and their larvae along with capped brood to donate to this hive? The second thing is pollen or pollen substitute.  I refer to post 62 in the way provided and why. I highly suggested ultra-bee. Randy Oliver did and extensive research program on 6 different pollen substitutes and guess which one was at the top of the charts in most cases. Though he explained all were good. As FG noted with her homemade yeast product, any supplement is better than nothing. Randy included a (Homebrew of yeast) in his research which was a help also.

The third thing that you for sure will need to Rescue these bees in a food source, Nectar or Sugar syrup. In my opinion, this desperate hive needs a steady and readily available food source exclusive to themselves. I again recommend you using a frame feeder of at least one gallon volume, or hive top feeder as described in reply 62, and I will say whether you are receiving nectar or not, because this hive is weak. 

The fourth thing is a consolidation of space. as described in reply 62.  Again wishing you the very best in this rescue operation and hoping for your and your hives success!

Blessings

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2020, 01:48:41 pm »

Started to feed them and BAM! the robbers came in wild, crazy, and overwhelming like a BLM/Antifa mob!

Sincere condolences, Father Michael.  Might I suggest you edit this sentence from your original post. Some might take offense and unless my understanding is incorrect, any sort of political commentary on this forum or any other is not permitted.

No.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2020, 02:07:23 pm »

A beautiful queen bee.  One of my queens of 2020.  She is so golden, just beautiful.  Eye candy.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2020, 02:08:25 pm »
 :happy: :wink:
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2020, 08:01:00 pm »

A beautiful queen bee.  One of my queens of 2020.  She is so golden, just beautiful.  Eye candy.

You're a bee artist!

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2020, 10:44:15 am »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2020, 11:01:49 am »
To the Moderators:

I?m disappointed that you removed my posts and Amy?s. She was right. I?m also done.  Please forward information on how I can withdraw from this forum completely. Thank you.
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2020, 11:08:39 am »
This morning I saw the attacks for the first time. I was not following this thread closely because it did not look like the type of thread that causes problems.
This is the General beekeeping, main forum not the coffee house. The attacks here were out of line and I went through and removed the offending ones that I could find.
If you take offense with what Someone says, do not retaliate, contact us to deal with it. I do not ever remember any alerts for this thread.
I?m locking down this thread.
Please bee cordial to each other.
This is an educational site, let?s keep it that way.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything