Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees congregating at hive entrance?  (Read 2859 times)

Offline threehives

• New Bee
Bees congregating at hive entrance?
« on: October 08, 2017, 12:01:31 am »
Hi All

I have a lot of bees who are congregating at the entrance and don't go in the hive even at night, the weather is not to hot either (probably 10deg celsius at night and 24 in the day) it is raining hard here today and they are still on the outside. It is one of my strongest colonies being 4 supers high. Im just wondering if there is simply not enough room for them. There is a honey flow on at the moment and im about to harvest about 30kg. any thoughts??
[imghttp://[/img]

Cheers Phill

Van, Arkansas, USA

Re: Bees congregating at hive entrance?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 06:58:00 am »
Big 3: I agree, outside cluster 10C or 50F,,,in heavy rain, sure sounds like more room is needed.  In my area, bees begin to cluster at 47F and your within 3 degrees.  Something not right here er uh there.  Can you add supers?  When you open the hive, is the hive full of bees?  Watch for swarming, in your area this time of year, yes?.?.
Nice looking set up you have there.
Blessings

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 01:39:41 pm »
I thought that was just bearding, and considered normal.  What is the difference?  The temperature?

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 02:34:38 pm »
Tycrnp, hives are in Australia, not USA, early spring there:;;  heavy rain, cold and bearding??  Does not sound normal to me.  Maybe the beeks here with better knowledge than I will provide thoughts.
Blessings

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 03:13:59 pm »
Is there proper ventilation for 4 deeps???

Offline threehives

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 11:12:22 pm »
I have a screened bottom board which is fully opened, I have not had time to look inside but will do so hopefully tomorrow and if crowded ill add an extra super.

Thanks Phill

Offline Steves Bees

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 05:11:50 am »
Hi Phill. just wondering if you have any ventilation on top of your hive. Even with your SBB open, the air really doesn't circulate unless it has somewhere to go.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 08:48:34 am »
Actually the bees have better control when the top is closed and insulated. I have STB and SBB. I have found that when I leave the top open I have heavy bearding in hot weather on the hives that do not have an insulation board in the top cover and in the STB as compared to the ones that do. If you have Screen Top Boards, try adding insulation in one and not in another similar strength hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 08:23:22 pm »
Actually the bees have better control when the top is closed and insulated.
Jim
To support the above comment I have included an extract from an article written in the July 2015 'The Australasian Beekeeper' by John Tadman "In summer when water is being evaporated from nectar to make honey, evaporation causes cooling and the air in contact with the nectar becomes cooler, wetter and therefore heavier, and sinks. It will flow out the entrance just as cold air from a refrigerator will flow across the kitchen floor when its door is opened. The wet air can be helped on its way by bees fanning with their wings, and/or by a screened opening in the brood box floor, or a completely screened base. Bees working the brood nest consume honey or nectar for energy, and by the process of respiration give off heat, water and carbon dioxide. This warm, moist, "stale" air rising from the brood cluster enhances this natural circulation. When it reaches the lid the rising air that follows pushes it outwards and it travels downwards as it cools, hastened by the evaporation from the nectar. Serious researchers are adamant that any top ventilation introduces a chimney effect and hampers the bees' efforts to enhance the natural convection currents by fanning."
John based his research on working with drying-kilns in the timber industry for 40 yrs.
Kev

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 09:18:29 pm »
Kanga, very good post, thank you.  I appreciate data post, as yours, and I learn.  I noticed the author did not comment on the fact the bees collect and deposit tiny water droplets throughout the brood chamber to maintain humidity or cooling as needed.

Ventilation or sealed which is better?  consider the following: location affects, shade vrs sunlight, humidity, height of hive(number of deeps) rain fall, average temp vary by state, Arizona summer 115F or Montana winter minus 35F, even the species of honey bee matters.  Lots to consider, I don't there is a one size fits all.

I have sealed telescoping lids and vented double walled plastic lids.  I cannot tell which the bees prefer. 

Blessings