Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Chickens vs Cars  (Read 12496 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Chickens vs Cars
« on: December 11, 2013, 10:07:29 pm »
I was told by my step brother that one of our chickens got ran over by a car yesterday. Today my mom drove down and told me another one got nailed in front of her house. So I went up there to get it out of the road. When I saw it there were two or three chickens just a pecking away on it.

What are friends for right?

and we feed the heck out of them too. Never turn down a free lunch.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Chickens vs Cars
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 10:22:29 pm »
That's a bummer about loosing the chickens. :(

Folks around here have free range as well.  I can't say I've ever seen live chickens pecking at the dead ones in the street though.  Interesting.  Kind of makes you wonder what goes on between their ears!

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 12:55:54 am »
I seen it first, it's MINE!!!!

Offline bbbthingmaker

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 08:34:08 am »
Chickens are scavengers.  They will eat just about anything. They prefer seeds, grains, fruit and vegetables, but meat is also an option.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 02:37:53 pm »
Chicken love meat both cooked and raw.  Toss a deer carcass (after butchering) it the middle of a free range flock and see what happens.   Ours get everything except fish.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 08:09:12 pm »
Fish offal is the standard fair of chickens living in Scandinavian countries...

The reason people have kept chickens for thousands of years is they turn garbage into food...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 08:21:46 pm »
All of a sudden my stomach is turning a little  :-D

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 10:19:48 pm »
Bluebee  <Kind of makes you wonder what goes on between their ears>

It's not a brain.

I'm starting to wonder..., maybe my chickens were chasing cars...
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 03:33:58 pm »
Fish offal is the standard fair of chickens living in Scandinavian countries...

The reason people have kept chickens for thousands of years is they turn garbage into food...

I have never heard this.   The only reason they dont get fish is my parents and grandparents for that matter have always said the eggs will taste fishy.    Has anyone here ever put this to the test

Offline Nico

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 05:07:32 pm »
I hope they weren't sitin on the road likin their......
Seriously I have seen one swallow a mouse

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 05:36:33 pm »
When I find a nest of mice in the compost bin the chooks enjoy a meal. :-D

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 06:37:02 pm »
Pinky mice are a real treat for the hens

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 10:15:39 pm »
Danno, I heard a story a few weeks ago along the "fishy taste" line. Someone came by and bought some eggs from me. They said they used to buy them from so and so but they got to tasting so bad everybody quit buying from them. Turns out they kept the chickens in a small pen and they were never let out. Another person (who has had poultry for decades) said that when you leave a chicken in an environment like that they'll start eating enough of each other's poop that it makes the eggs taste nasty.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 10:19:16 am »

I have seen this conversation in the past.. we have a large community of folks who STRUGGLE to live naturally nearby.. they were talking about how great it is that they can get free range chicken eggs from "such and such"
  Knowing a bit about them and having lived near their community for many years... I couldnt help speaking up....

"You REFUSE to eat pork because the animal eats meat as well as grains.. You wont eat bear meat, or any other animal that MAY eat meat, yet you LOVE chicken and eggs? Chickens eat insects as fast as they can catch them, they will eat meat, and if an egg is broken they go insane over it..  How is eating chicken and eggs different?"

I was informed I was mistaken..  they eat the grasses and seeds, they are not eating insects, and that GOOD HEALTHY chickens with a good diet and the ability to free range will not resort to eating meat as long as they are not starving or malnourished.

Some will believe what benefits them the most no matter what facts you put in front of them.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 03:08:08 pm »
Funny how all the ticks disappear and the grasshoppers disappear when you get chickens...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 08:22:53 pm »
An older friend of mine told me once that he fenced in under his trailer and the (American roach) roach problem disappeared.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 11:21:23 pm »
Indeed..  Best insect control we have.  I know one old fellow that scrounges up dead things to throw on top of the chicken wire.. so as the fly larvae (Maggots) fall out of it the chickens get fed..   Interesting idea, but a WEEE bit extreme for me..
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 03:32:11 am »
Indeed..  Best insect control we have. 
Hope they don't find your bees  :laugh:

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 07:50:14 am »
OldMech; A friend of mine was talking about doing the same thing. I'll pass. I found out how to control the wind, just toss a dead thing somewhere and the wind will blow from that direction toward my house.

Offline itsme

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 11:41:03 am »
We feed our chickens very well and about half the year they have access to our garden.  The rest of the time they are nearly free range, meaning I have them fenced on one side so they can come and go on the other bounded on two sides by water.  There is a limit as to how far they will wander in any direction from the hen house.

They most certainly LOVE meat and insects.  They seem to me to have a preference for it - it's a total feeding frenzy whenever I take them some meat scraps.  Grubs, worms, grasshoppers, deer meat, fish entrails - YUM!  Maybe because it's harder to come by. 

We have never given them a steady diet of fish carcass, but when we have we never noticed anything different about the flavor of the eggs or the chickens.

Somehow they seem to know what they should eat.  When we had a problem with blister beetles in our garden the chickens would not even touch them.  How do they know?  Anyway since they are selective I don't think they would eat a honey bee.

When we had guineas, they would often eat wasps, which I enjoyed seeing.  So I don't know whether guineas might eat yellow jackets, or honey bees or anything else.  Saw them eat a lot of wasps though.  I've never seen our chickens eat anything like that.