Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Chickens vs Cars  (Read 12499 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Chickens vs Cars
« on: December 11, 2013, 10:07:29 pm »
I was told by my step brother that one of our chickens got ran over by a car yesterday. Today my mom drove down and told me another one got nailed in front of her house. So I went up there to get it out of the road. When I saw it there were two or three chickens just a pecking away on it.

What are friends for right?

and we feed the heck out of them too. Never turn down a free lunch.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Chickens vs Cars
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 10:22:29 pm »
That's a bummer about loosing the chickens. :(

Folks around here have free range as well.  I can't say I've ever seen live chickens pecking at the dead ones in the street though.  Interesting.  Kind of makes you wonder what goes on between their ears!

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 12:55:54 am »
I seen it first, it's MINE!!!!

Offline bbbthingmaker

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 08:34:08 am »
Chickens are scavengers.  They will eat just about anything. They prefer seeds, grains, fruit and vegetables, but meat is also an option.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 02:37:53 pm »
Chicken love meat both cooked and raw.  Toss a deer carcass (after butchering) it the middle of a free range flock and see what happens.   Ours get everything except fish.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 08:09:12 pm »
Fish offal is the standard fair of chickens living in Scandinavian countries...

The reason people have kept chickens for thousands of years is they turn garbage into food...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 08:21:46 pm »
All of a sudden my stomach is turning a little  :-D

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 10:19:48 pm »
Bluebee  <Kind of makes you wonder what goes on between their ears>

It's not a brain.

I'm starting to wonder..., maybe my chickens were chasing cars...
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 03:33:58 pm »

The reason people have kept chickens for thousands of years is they turn garbage into food...

I have never heard this.   The only reason they dont get fish is my parents and grandparents for that matter have always said the eggs will taste fishy.    Has anyone here ever put this to the test

Offline Nico

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 05:07:32 pm »
I hope they weren't sitin on the road likin their......
Seriously I have seen one swallow a mouse

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 05:36:33 pm »
When I find a nest of mice in the compost bin the chooks enjoy a meal. :-D

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 06:37:02 pm »
Pinky mice are a real treat for the hens

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 10:15:39 pm »
Danno, I heard a story a few weeks ago along the "fishy taste" line. Someone came by and bought some eggs from me. They said they used to buy them from so and so but they got to tasting so bad everybody quit buying from them. Turns out they kept the chickens in a small pen and they were never let out. Another person (who has had poultry for decades) said that when you leave a chicken in an environment like that they'll start eating enough of each other's poop that it makes the eggs taste nasty.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 10:19:16 am »

I have seen this conversation in the past.. we have a large community of folks who STRUGGLE to live naturally nearby.. they were talking about how great it is that they can get free range chicken eggs from "such and such"
  Knowing a bit about them and having lived near their community for many years... I couldnt help speaking up....

"You REFUSE to eat pork because the animal eats meat as well as grains.. You wont eat bear meat, or any other animal that MAY eat meat, yet you LOVE chicken and eggs? Chickens eat insects as fast as they can catch them, they will eat meat, and if an egg is broken they go insane over it..  How is eating chicken and eggs different?"

I was informed I was mistaken..  they eat the grasses and seeds, they are not eating insects, and that GOOD HEALTHY chickens with a good diet and the ability to free range will not resort to eating meat as long as they are not starving or malnourished.

Some will believe what benefits them the most no matter what facts you put in front of them.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 03:08:08 pm »
Funny how all the ticks disappear and the grasshoppers disappear when you get chickens...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 08:22:53 pm »
An older friend of mine told me once that he fenced in under his trailer and the (American roach) roach problem disappeared.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 11:21:23 pm »
Indeed..  Best insect control we have.  I know one old fellow that scrounges up dead things to throw on top of the chicken wire.. so as the fly larvae (Maggots) fall out of it the chickens get fed..   Interesting idea, but a WEEE bit extreme for me..

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 03:32:11 am »
Indeed..  Best insect control we have. 
Hope they don't find your bees  :laugh:

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 07:50:14 am »
OldMech; A friend of mine was talking about doing the same thing. I'll pass. I found out how to control the wind, just toss a dead thing somewhere and the wind will blow from that direction toward my house.

Offline itsme

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 11:41:03 am »
We feed our chickens very well and about half the year they have access to our garden.  The rest of the time they are nearly free range, meaning I have them fenced on one side so they can come and go on the other bounded on two sides by water.  There is a limit as to how far they will wander in any direction from the hen house.

They most certainly LOVE meat and insects.  They seem to me to have a preference for it - it's a total feeding frenzy whenever I take them some meat scraps.  Grubs, worms, grasshoppers, deer meat, fish entrails - YUM!  Maybe because it's harder to come by. 

We have never given them a steady diet of fish carcass, but when we have we never noticed anything different about the flavor of the eggs or the chickens.

Somehow they seem to know what they should eat.  When we had a problem with blister beetles in our garden the chickens would not even touch them.  How do they know?  Anyway since they are selective I don't think they would eat a honey bee.

When we had guineas, they would often eat wasps, which I enjoyed seeing.  So I don't know whether guineas might eat yellow jackets, or honey bees or anything else.  Saw them eat a lot of wasps though.  I've never seen our chickens eat anything like that.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 11:51:26 am »
I found out how to control the wind, just toss a dead thing somewhere and the wind will blow from that direction toward my house.

Indeed!!!!   I have noticed that exact thing!!

So far they havent bothered the bees, but it DOES keep me watching closely...  our free range chickens will find themselves permanently ensconced in their pen if they take a liking to fresh honeybees!!!   THAT, or the wife will have to do without eggs and enjoy the fresh cooked chicken!!

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 01:12:14 pm »

I have seen this conversation in the past.. we have a large community of folks who STRUGGLE to live naturally nearby.. they were talking about how great it is that they can get free range chicken eggs from "such and such"
  Knowing a bit about them and having lived near their community for many years... I couldnt help speaking up....

"You REFUSE to eat pork because the animal eats meat as well as grains.. You wont eat bear meat, or any other animal that MAY eat meat, yet you LOVE chicken and eggs? Chickens eat insects as fast as they can catch them, they will eat meat, and if an egg is broken they go insane over it..  How is eating chicken and eggs different?"

I was informed I was mistaken..  they eat the grasses and seeds, they are not eating insects, and that GOOD HEALTHY chickens with a good diet and the ability to free range will not resort to eating meat as long as they are not starving or malnourished.

Some will believe what benefits them the most no matter what facts you put in front of them.

i'm always amazed at how little people that protest a lot of agricultural practices know about agricultural practices.  as cities get more and more populated and rural populations stay the same or diminish a lot of us are going to lose the right to live the way we grew up because ignorance will rule.  
sorry about the little rant gary.  now we know why the chicken crossed the road.

Offline stella

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 03:47:34 pm »
My chickens rid my yard of ticks, beetles, potato bugs, moths, worms, snakes, mice, etc.
You should see the excitement over toads! It creates a toad-toting, chicken chasing frenzy!
Their all yelling, "Gimme that!"
“The hum of bees is the voice of the garden.” — Elizabeth Lawrence

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2013, 10:51:21 pm »
True tale Stella!!   Even a big juicy grasshopper will create a chase that is quite amusing to watch..

10Framer..   I agree with you more than you know..
   I met a girl who convinced me to move to where SHE grew up.. and I did, and it lasted 17 years before it reached the point I couldn't take it anymore.. there are more than a few of them city people who have NO CLUE how close they REALLY came to losing their lives..  Getting back to where I grew up was like a breath of fresh air... THANKFULLY my wife followed... she spent the next two years making FUN of the people here I grew up with.. but then began seeing the merits of rural life.. now, about 12 years later she understands completely, and wouldnt go back if she could.  "THEY" have NO CLUE because they have never lived like this..  The sad part is that there are just too MANY of the clueless for the rural people to overcome, In voting, or even if it came to it.. with physical violence..  our time is limited.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2013, 01:36:25 am »
yes sir, i hope i don't live long enough to see it.  i've noticed that winter has brought out the rednecks on here.  we're talking about hunting, chickens, hogs, dogs and gardens.  the more i read the more i realize how much gary and i are working toward similar goals.  ray bayless seems to be right there with us.  i'm trying to be close to a subsistent farmer in 5 years, i'll have to keep a job to afford insurance but i'd like to be producing as close to all my own food as possible.  i wish i had more land and i feel like that's going to be my next big purchase.  what about you mech?  trying to grow your own?

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2013, 10:15:05 am »
Aye.. 40 acres of my own.. 300 + family owned. Canning and making pickles, freezing sweet corn etc..   Dont consider myself a prepper as such, but keep our two riding horses and the wife wants a wind generator..   Exterior wood stove with floor heat.. cut all my own wood etc..  Local/friend has a butcher room.. we cut and grind our own meat, pigs, deer etc.. the cows we usually do at the local locker.  Pretty big critter.  Here, its not so much trying to be prepared as it is just a way of life.. or.. WAS a way of life, as it is slowly dying.

My son did a tour in Afghanistan.. when he got back a bunch of his friends that served with him came over.. I was amazed at how...      How do I say this correctly?  Surprised I guess is the nicest way.. at how we live, how nice it is, how quiet and comfortable..Friendly.. everyone waves and is willing toi stop and talk..  How easy it is to get around.. no traffic jams, no idiots yelling at you..  Three cars in a row is a traffic jam here..
   Sitting with them at our Shop ON the town square in lawn chairs having a beer while we talked.. town cop drives by and he waves while they ALL try to hide their beer...    It is a very different way of life than they are used to, and more than one of them said THIS is how they want to live...
   I just hope they choose another small community so they dont bring their city ways here.  I've been to a lot of big cities in my time..  If I had to deal with those people on a regular basis I'd most certainly go to jail for the rest of my life.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2013, 10:45:41 am »
yeah, i've got a friend that is prepping and he says it's a lifestyle for me (and he's right).  i grew up in cotton farming country in alabama right as it was changing over to pine and soybean farming country.
i bought 44 acres last year in georgia in an area where there is still a good bit of cotton mixed with the beans and the trees.  it's nice to be back where you wave at the guy you pass on the road and he waves back.
there are 66 acres adjacent to mine that i'm going to try to buy next year.  40 isn't enough to grow everything i want to grow and still be able to hunt. 
i'm 60 miles from columbus and 60 miles from macon there are some smaller towns 30 miles from me and that's close enough. 

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 04:41:03 pm »
How much does an acre of farm land go for down there in GA?

I’ve lived in big cities and small; pretty much enjoyed them all except for the traffic.  The traffic and wasted time on the roads is what I hated most about the big cities.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 04:42:37 pm »
My chickens rid my yard of ticks, beetles, potato bugs, moths, worms, snakes, mice, etc.
You should see the excitement over toads! It creates a toad-toting, chicken chasing frenzy!
Oh my, I would truly miss the chorus of all my spring peepers.

Offline stella

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2013, 06:01:51 pm »
Oh my, I would truly miss the chorus of all my spring peepers.

Oh, they dont get them all by no means. In fact this last summer the frogs and toads were annoyingly loud. I had to actually shut the windows. But then, Im by a river. Chickens just weed out the dumb ones  :shock:
“The hum of bees is the voice of the garden.” — Elizabeth Lawrence

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2013, 09:33:39 pm »
How much does an acre of farm land go for down there in GA?

I’ve lived in big cities and small; pretty much enjoyed them all except for the traffic.  The traffic and wasted time on the roads is what I hated most about the big cities.

blue mine had been clear cut maybe 8 years ago then they herbicided the hardwoods 3 or 4 years ago so it was pretty rough.  i gave about 1000.00 an acre but it usually goes anywhere from 1400.00-2000.00 from what i've seen. if you go one county over north, south or east it goes up a good bit.  the county west of me is about the same but the dirt isn't as good.  it took me three years to find land at that price. 
all the rain this summer cost me a good honey surplus but it brought back a lot of hardwood trees that probably wouldn't have made it.  the natural regeneration pines need to be thinned.  the owner hadn't been  to the property in years, i don't think he knew what he sold me. 
to be fair, it was so overgrown with blackberries, goldenrod and muscadines and there was no road system so i didn't walk it and didn't really know what i was buying either.  google earth hadn't updated in a few years so it looked like there were no trees, it updated last december and it looks way different.  i'm betting he saw the satellite picture and figured he'd better dump it while he could.   

Offline Burl

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 01:37:23 am »
  Hey All !   Didn't you hear that the hen laid her egg in the middle of the road because she just really wanted to  " lay it on the line  " ?.
                                       Thankyou for groaning ,
                                                  Burl
Of all the things I've ever been called ;
I do like "Dad" the most .   ---Burl---

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2013, 10:42:00 am »
  Hey All !   Didn't you hear that the hen laid her egg in the middle of the road because she just really wanted to  " lay it on the line  " ?.
                                       Thankyou for groaning ,
                                                  Burl

and canadians wonder why we make fun of them........

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2013, 11:58:09 pm »
 :laugh: :-D    :-X

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2013, 09:51:53 am »

Offline skatesailor

• House Bee
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2014, 08:25:56 pm »

I have never heard this.   The only reason they dont get fish is my parents and grandparents for that matter have always said the eggs will taste fishy.    Has anyone here ever put this to the test

I had a successful Striper and Bluefish trip. I turned the carcasses into the mulch pile. The chickens dug it up and indeed the eggs were horribly fishy.