BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DISEASE & PEST CONTROL

Fipronil to control Yellow Jackets

(1/4) > >>

Dustymunky:
We have had an extremely bad summer yellow jacket problem here in Oregon.  I just recently stumbled upon a very effective technique for wiping out yellow jackets. The chemical Fipronil is the active ingredient in Frontline flea and tick medicine for pets. It is sold on the internet under brand name Taurus SC.  Lace meat bait stations with Fipronil and the yellow jackets feast.  They bring the substance back to their nest and within a few days the entire nest/population is dead. 

At one of my outyards there was about 50-100 yellow jackets hovering around the hive and constantly trying to get into the entrance.  When i cracked open the hive yellow jackets immediately started flying into the hive and killing the bees that were clinging to the inner cover.  Got stung by dang yellow jackets too :(  After using the fipronil there are only a few yellow jackets around.  Back to a peaceful hive.

Im not a real fan of poisons but this most likely saved the hive.  Not sure if this is a new thing but its new to me and thought some of you could benefit.  I believe the product is mainly used for ants and termites.

herbhome:
Thanks Dusty,

I had a terrible time with yellow jackets last year but not so much this year...yet. I will remember this advice. :smile:

Beeboy01:
Good tip, thanks. Had a real big yellow jacket nest in my back yard  four years ago and couldn't kill it with sprays no matter what I tried. A two week freeze finally took it out.

blackforest beekeeper:

--- Quote from: Dustymunky on September 29, 2018, 08:27:01 pm ---We have had an extremely bad summer yellow jacket problem here in Oregon.  I just recently stumbled upon a very effective technique for wiping out yellow jackets. The chemical Fipronil is the active ingredient in Frontline flea and tick medicine for pets. It is sold on the internet under brand name Taurus SC.  Lace meat bait stations with Fipronil and the yellow jackets feast.  They bring the substance back to their nest and within a few days the entire nest/population is dead. 

At one of my outyards there was about 50-100 yellow jackets hovering around the hive and constantly trying to get into the entrance.  When i cracked open the hive yellow jackets immediately started flying into the hive and killing the bees that were clinging to the inner cover.  Got stung by dang yellow jackets too :(  After using the fipronil there are only a few yellow jackets around.  Back to a peaceful hive.

Im not a real fan of poisons but this most likely saved the hive.  Not sure if this is a new thing but its new to me and thought some of you could benefit.  I believe the product is mainly used for ants and termites.

--- End quote ---

is that a hornet or a wasp?
I have seen wasps robbing hives and I have seen wasps taking apart dead (or almost dead) bees. But I have never known them to actually kill bees.
What variety is this?

herbhome:
Black forest,

Yellow jackets are quite small wasps. This time of the year they get desperate for food and will rob garbage cans, dumps, bee hives anything they can find.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version