Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Birthday Candles  (Read 6332 times)

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Birthday Candles
« on: March 26, 2022, 07:17:13 pm »
I got a birthday candle mold for Christmas, and I finally made some birthday candles for the first time today.  The mold makes 10 candles at a time.  I had one candle have a problem with the wick, and another one that has a seam because I ran out of wax in the middle of pouring it, but other than that they turned out great!  I'm curious to test out how they burn.

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Birthday Candles
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 08:30:48 pm »
Nice!!!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 09:26:07 pm »
The burn test went great!  I tested one on a muffin at breakfast this morning.  It burned nice and clean, with no dripping or smoking.  I can't wait to make more for my sister's birthday in April!  :happy:

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 09:54:34 pm »
Good Reagan. (Yankee Candle yes) True beeswax candles, no.
I have never experienced the smell of a pure beeswax candle burning. What was your familys impression of the aroma?

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 11:02:31 am »
Good Reagan. (Yankee Candle yes) True beeswax candles, no.
I have never experienced the smell of a pure beeswax candle burning. What was your familys impression of the aroma?

Phillip
What!  You've never had a beeswax candle?!  :shocked:  What are you waiting for?!  They are the best candles ever!  :grin:  They smell wonderful, like the warm sweet smell of an open hive.  If properly made they burn without dripping or smoking, and they actually purify the air.  With very few exceptions they are the highest quality candles available and have been for centuries.  I now have 4 silicone molds: a spiral taper, a Christmas pillar, a gnome-shaped mold, and the birthday candles, and I'm planning on purchasing more.  I love making and using beewax candles, they are one of my favorite by-products of the hive.   

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2022, 12:08:09 pm »
The15thMember
What!  You've never had a beeswax candle?!  :shocked:  What are you waiting for?!  They are the best candles ever!  :grin:  They smell wonderful, like the warm sweet smell of an open hive.  If properly made they burn without dripping or smoking, and they actually purify the air.  With very few exceptions they are the highest quality candles available and have been for centuries.  I now have 4 silicone molds: a spiral taper, a Christmas pillar, a gnome-shaped mold, and the birthday candles, and I'm planning on purchasing more.  I love making and using beewax candles, they are one of my favorite by-products of the hive.   

No I have not but he degree of your enthusiasm for your candle making and burning is obvious! I have read about beeswax candles, and discussed beeswax candles here at beemaster with some of you. During one of those discussions I went into the archives here and found and posted an older reply from Brian D Bray for your pleasure during one of these beeswax candle discussions.

Though I'm not Catholic, from what I understand the Catholic Church use to burn pure beeswax candles. So no, I have not experienced beeswax candle burning. I have yet to make beeswax candles though I was on the verge and interested a while back, but I put it on the back burner of my things to do list. With your renewed post and enthusiasm, I 'might' once again put wax burning via candle back on the 'to try list'. 😊

Phillip

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2022, 01:54:42 pm »
No I have not but he degree of your enthusiasm for your candle making and burning is obvious! I have read about beeswax candles, and discussed beeswax candles here at beemaster with some of you. During one of those discussions I went into the archives here and found and posted an older reply from Brian D Bray for your pleasure during one of these beeswax candle discussions.

Though I'm not Catholic, from what I understand the Catholic Church use to burn pure beeswax candles. So no, I have not experienced beeswax candle burning. I have yet to make beeswax candles though I was on the verge and interested a while back, but I put it on the back burner of my things to do list. With your renewed post and enthusiasm, I 'might' once again put wax burning via candle back on the 'to try list'. 😊

Phillip
It's true.  The Catholic church has used beeswax candles for the majority of their history.  It's a reason why many monks were beekeepers in medieval times.  The church preferred beeswax candles not only for their quality, but because the wax made by the virgin workers was symbolic of the virgin Mary. 

I never experienced beeswax candles before becoming a beekeeper, but it was something I always knew I wanted to make from my wax.  I started out making tealights, which are EXTREMELY easy to make.  You just purchase the cups and pre-assembled wicks, then melt, strain, and pour the wax.  My family uses a lot of candles around Christmastime, so that's been my major focus until the birthday candles.  My sister wants me to experiment with scenting the candles, but I have to say, I love the smell of the natural beeswax so much that I'm hesitant to use any fragrance!  :grin:  You totally need to give it a try, Phillip.  You don't know what you are missing out on! 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2022, 02:21:27 pm »
The15thMember
You totally need to give it a try, Phillip.  You don't know what you are missing out on!

With such a passionate plea, how can I reiset! We use candles at Christmas too! I am with you about the fragrances. We can get that at Yankee Candle. You have sold me on making a few!
Thanks Reagan. 😊

Phillip

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2022, 02:48:36 pm »
One of the main reasons for using beeswax candles it it does not produce any harmful smoke. The only byproduct is carbon dioxide and water vapor.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2022, 07:19:49 pm »
Here are the candles I made for Christmas last year.  I was not happy with how they burned, so I purchased wicking from a different company for the birthday candles, and so far I'm much happier with it.  I will probably purchase from them from now on. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2022, 11:06:08 pm »
Nice!

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2022, 11:55:28 pm »
Forget the molds.  You need to try making hand dipped candles.  They are fun to make.  I've been selling them for a while now.  I also sell the votives that are beehive shaped.    I bought that silicon mold from mann lake.   Just curious, where did you get the birthday candle mold?

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2022, 01:09:21 am »
Forget the molds.  You need to try making hand dipped candles.  They are fun to make. 
Tempting, but with the mold I can make 10 birthday candles in about 20 minutes, not counting the 30 min. cool time.  I doubt hand-dipped candles are so quick and easy.  :cool:  Also, I'd like to see you hand dip a gnome.  :cheesy:

I also sell the votives that are beehive shaped.    I bought that silicon mold from mann lake. 

I was actually going to buy that mold last time I had an order together, but it was sold out.  :sad: 

Just curious, where did you get the birthday candle mold?
I found it on Etsy, and it came from Latvia.  I was looking for a birthday candle mold where the candles were actually skinny, like birthday candles from a store.  It actually got here surprisingly quick considering it came from so far away.  The store owner answered my questions about wicking for such a small candle, and the Latvia Post tracking was even more usable than the USPS.  I just checked, but unfortunately they don't seem to be selling the birthday candle molds at the moment.  Perhaps they are just out of stock.  Here's the link to their store.  I'm sure you could send them a message about it if you are interested.  They were very friendly and helpful.  https://www.etsy.com/shop/Latviancandles?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=673366467       

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2022, 05:33:08 pm »
My sister's birthday was a few days ago, so my candles had their first real test in the field, and they were great!  We're never buying birthday candles again.  I'm also toying around with selling them.  I'm not currently selling candles, but these are so easy and cheap to make, it might be worth it.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Birthday Candles
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2022, 11:56:04 pm »
Happy 23rd in a rice crispie treat. My girl turned 9 last week too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2022, 12:54:42 am »
Happy 23rd in a rice crispie treat. My girl turned 9 last week too.
Happy birthday to her too!  The rice crispie treat was basically a candle holder and something for the younger kids to eat, since we don't need to waste slices of cheesecake on people who are only meh on it.  :wink:  Both were good, but the rice crispie treat actually ended up turning out the best it ever has, while the cheesecake had room for improvement.     

anything