Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My first year into second, a hash up.  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Rustys Bees

• New Bee
My first year into second, a hash up.
« on: February 27, 2022, 03:25:08 am »
Hello fellow bee keepers of this forum. I am going to start by saying my first nuc bought last April (late start/found bees) came with 5 frames of honey,pollen, and 2 or 3 frames brood. Immediately I dropped them in my deep once home. They swarmed, later say 3 weeks in (say late may maybe 1st week June)....I was unable to obtain them at their temporary spot in a tree near the hive. into June, I managed to destroy 3 queen cells on accident/purpose ( thinking they were swarm cells, an they,queen-right...)...a few weeks of doing study of my hive I came to the conclusion gee, they are queenless....lol; I managed to re-queen from a local keeper near my area. I did not harvest much honey in the fall, I did not expect to being my first year. I treated with mint oil and dryer sheets in summer/into fall to keep SHB/V mite away. I used Dadant winter patties,for as I knew their stores were low. I intend on making most of my patties(if needed) from this point forward.

The swarm that got away... Well They have been robbing my not so strong colony thus far, they even made it through the  winter (the swarm/feral bees now)...I am going to attempt to catch them in the next few weeks or so...
As for my overwintered colony, they are sitting on plastic foundation, which this year I am going to attempt to move away from an going the bee route(their foundation,not ours). I just added thymol to my brood box ,for as I saw a few mites on some bees coming and going from the entrance on a 65 degree day about week to 10 days ago. I am going to invest into a oav soon for sure. I intend to remove the thymol once the pollen flow an nectar open wide.

An my wood working skills are growing...No experience before hand.Basic tools
I have made 1 deep an as well a nuc. The deep was out of refurbished pallets, the nuc is from refurbed fence panel(5/8in)...I intend to make more boxes,top covers,etc....I am considering making a top entrance cover..(M. Bush, thank you!)....My thank you also goes out to D.C honey bees with their simple nuc plan and design.

My plans for this spring? What are my bees plans is the better question..lol
I intend, I say intend, to add a second deep,let them build up an I do a split...if at all possible and enough stores. by say April-May here in my neck of the woods (zone 7a)...As well the possibility of adding a swarm to my yard is always a plus.

Objective for this year:Spring,Summer,Fall??:
Grow in size....Potentially with the minimum of 3 hives going into the fall of this year. Hopefully more... As well grow in experience in beekeeping, learning more about pest management, an other traits a beekeeper needs to have a healthy hive. I am attempting to go with natural treatments, I would rather stay away from hard chemicals as much as possible; plenty of that out an about outside the hive these days. My breed I believe are of Italian origins for the most part.

I have started getting comfortable with my bees thus far. most times no veil or gloves. They are as of at the moment docile on 60 degree days. I imagine this changes as numbers and strength of colony picks up, as well as temps. 

Hope everyone's colony's this spring explodes with honey and pollen.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: My first year into second, a hash up.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 12:59:49 pm »
I like your attitude, Rusty, already thinking ahead and ready to learn; this is a great mentality to have as a beginner beekeeper, or really as any stage beekeeper. 

The swarm that got away... Well They have been robbing my not so strong colony thus far, they even made it through the  winter (the swarm/feral bees now)...I am going to attempt to catch them in the next few weeks or so...
This is something I hear people say a lot, "I lost a swarm and now they are set up somewhere and robbing my colony out."  The fact is that any colony, feral or domestic, within 3 miles could be the culprit.  According to Tom Seeley's research, the probability of a swarm surviving in the wild is only about 20%, so it's not statistically probable that the bees robbing your hive are the swarm that you lost, especially if there are other beekeepers in your area. 

I have made 1 deep an as well a nuc. The deep was out of refurbished pallets, the nuc is from refurbed fence panel(5/8in)...I intend to make more boxes,top covers,etc....I am considering making a top entrance cover..(M. Bush, thank you!)....My thank you also goes out to D.C honey bees with their simple nuc plan and design. 

That's the way to do it if you can, cheap and homemade.  Beekeeping has unfortunately not improved my non-existent woodworking skills.  I guess I just haven't tried enough to learn the skill, so I'm still stuck buying overpriced pre-fab equipment. 

I have started getting comfortable with my bees thus far. most times no veil or gloves. They are as of at the moment docile on 60 degree days. I imagine this changes as numbers and strength of colony picks up, as well as temps. 
I would highly recommend for safety's sake that any time you inspect you wear a veil, especially as a beginner.  One errant sting to the eye could cost you part of your eyesight, and that's not a risk worth taking.  Not to mention, stings to the inside of the nose or ears are extraordinarily painful (so I've heard, thankfully I don't speak from personal experience here).  If you are just being around the hives, no veil is fine, but during an inspection when the bees are prone to getting riled, I personally think everyone should always wear a veil.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 02:49:41 pm »
Rusty, Keep on keeping on.
Concering catching bees,
If you can build a basic hive box, you can build some for swarm boxes.
Then you will be getting free bees every year. The internet is full of how-to articles.
I just put out a couple in some likely places to catch a swarm. Still a little early for it. The best time for us is March and April, and we are a little south of you.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2022, 03:47:37 pm »
I agree with 15th Member, a veil is recommended. Bees tend to target the eye area if unprotected.
I have had a bee get in my veil and some how went up my nostril, most painful sting i can remember, and my eyes went into flood with tears.
I don't like gloves as they become sticky and feel awkward. My partner wears gloves and all her equipment is always sticky.
From a hygiene point of view you. tend to wash your hands and hive tool more often

Offline Rustys Bees

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2022, 04:33:52 pm »
Didnt mean to double post...Was trying to get the quote mechanism correct ;)

Offline Rustys Bees

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2022, 04:35:35 pm »
I like your attitude, Rusty, already thinking ahead and ready to learn; this is a great mentality to have as a beginner beekeeper, or really as any stage beekeeper. 

This is something I hear people say a lot, "I lost a swarm and now they are set up somewhere and robbing my colony out."  The fact is that any colony, feral or domestic, within 3 miles could be the culprit.  According to Tom Seeley's research, the probability of a swarm surviving in the wild is only about 20%, so it's not statistically probable that the bees robbing your hive are the swarm that you lost, especially if there are other beekeepers in your area. 

That's the way to do it if you can, cheap and homemade.  Beekeeping has unfortunately not improved my non-existent woodworking skills.  I guess I just haven't tried enough to learn the skill, so I'm still stuck buying overpriced pre-fab equipment. 

I would highly recommend for safety's sake that any time you inspect you wear a veil, especially as a beginner.  One errant sting to the eye could cost you part of your eyesight, and that's not a risk worth taking.  Not to mention, stings to the inside of the nose or ears are extraordinarily painful (so I've heard, thankfully I don't speak from personal experience here).  If you are just being around the hives, no veil is fine, but during an inspection when the bees are prone to getting riled, I personally think everyone should always wear a veil.   

Before I purchased my nuc,for years the people around here say there hasn't been feral bees or keepers around this area. My gut told me that it was the ones that left me that are robbing. I know of the general direction they are located, Just hard to locate in a forest canopy. I will start doing some hunting to see if I can find them in the coming weeks. Although they could very well be another keepers bees that I am unaware of.

The veil. Yes when I start messing with the frames I judge by how aggresive or not they are an apply cool down methods (ie: smoke,sugar water spray) an then decide to veil or not. However, for more manipulations as spring opens up, I intend to start using my veil alot more frequent. Thank you for the replys an as well the truths of wearing no veil, an the consequences there-in. Thank you all for the advice, much more from all perspectives welcome!

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2022, 05:05:54 pm »
Before I purchased my nuc,for years the people around here say there hasn't been feral bees or keepers around this area. My gut told me that it was the ones that left me that are robbing. I know of the general direction they are located, Just hard to locate in a forest canopy. I will start doing some hunting to see if I can find them in the coming weeks. Although they could very well be another keepers bees that I am unaware of.
Well that could be a different story then.  Did you see honey bees in your yard or garden before you got bees?  If so, then there may be more colonies around than you think.  If not, then you may be right.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2022, 05:26:21 pm »
I agree with 15th Member, a veil is recommended. Bees tend to target the eye area if unprotected.
I have had a bee get in my veil and some how went up my nostril, most painful sting i can remember, and my eyes went into flood with tears.
I don't like gloves as they become sticky and feel awkward. My partner wears gloves and all her equipment is always sticky.
From a hygiene point of view you. tend to wash your hands and hive tool more often

If I feel the bees are not in the mood of viciousness, I will from time to time go without a veil. However, I never forget the words of TheHoneyPump describing his sting to the 'eyeball' 'itself'. Mmmm I at least try use sunglasses or safety glasses, but even that is no guarantee. Bees still may be able to get between the lens and the eye. I one had a bee go down my ear canal but didn't get stung, 'thankfully'. Most of the time I do wear gloves the simple black 9m mechanic gloves from Harbor Freight. The do work most of the time.... Light years ahead of leather gloves in my opinion, for more than one reason.....

Phillip

Most painful sting
[/color]
I have been stung at in on pretty much every conceivable part of my body. Most stings do not get much more attention than a mosquito bite. However, I will tell you the two worst, most painful and I am meaning unrelenting sustained pain, places that I have been stung. For considerations, I am male, and is not where you think.
#1 -  IN the nose. Imagine Up inside, just out of reach of the pinky finger nail, in the membrane, cartridge side.  Make the biggest toughest grown man cry instantly, incessantly, and suffer so for 4 days.
#2 - IN the ear canal. A close runner up.
#3 - Tip of the nipple. A distant third but highly attention getting mentionable.
... far down the list
#15 anywhere in the crotch areas.
I have not had the displeasure of the tear duct.  Closest has been into the eyeball itself. That was a real trip!  Own personal built in  kaleidoscope lit up. Was really kool.  Though very scary wrt potential for permanent nerve damage.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 06:33:00 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2022, 05:33:08 pm »
The ear hurts miserably.

Offline Rustys Bees

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2022, 06:57:03 pm »
Yikes, through yall's hard learned experience, an suffering...  I will attempt in most situations when manipulating my hive to veil up. Ear/Eye/nose stings, no thank you. Over sensitive areas with a lot of nerve endings is instinctively their first target, I assume, if possible. Makes sense for any wild life.

The activity of this area: No bees have been present for some time. Before my colony I didn't notice any honey bees...a few other pollinators though. That I was aware of, at-least .
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 07:12:14 pm by Rustys Bees »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2022, 07:18:17 pm »
The activity of this area: No bees have been present for some time. Before my colony I didn't notice any honey bees...a few other pollinators though. That i was aware of, at-least .

That was the same in my immediate area Rusty. When I was a kid, (back before Varroa and SHB), wild honey bees could be readily found.

I do not wish to discourage you about going veilless. As I said I do it too, (sometimes), but I have the thought of stings to the eye in mind. lol.

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2022, 07:46:45 pm »
I do not wish to discourage you about going veilless.
I do.  :wink:  :grin:

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2022, 08:23:21 pm »

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2022, 08:47:47 pm »
Look, in the day and age of safety over everything sometimes we just have to learn on our own.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2022, 08:57:54 pm »
Look, in the day and age of safety over everything sometimes we just have to learn on our own.

lol

When I first started in bees I watched JPs' videos diligently. I am still amazed at how often he and Schawee did cutouts without wearing even a veil. Mad bees in total confusion of their home being invaded, disabled, and relocated while these two rascals just chug right many times wearing NOTHING protective, 'most of the time' 'during the films posted anyway'. I have ask the 'secret'; but if there is one, they never reviled any thing 'special' about it that I remember....

Offline Rustys Bees

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2022, 09:14:49 pm »
I believe in taking necessary safety precautions.I however am not approaching this subject with fear,or attempting to not. I am attempting this because I am attempting to learn my bees an there in study the little things that tell me veil up or maybe ill chance it. I find that without gloves or veil that I am much MORE careful in my examination an as well getting over them instilling my fear. I treat fear as ignorance or not knowing of  a subject. Since I am intending to keep bees, I think that I must be comfortable with them. Feral bees or bees not in my yard are a different subject.

I have been stung a few times the past year, it hurts. I deserved it :P. I do intend to grab me a pair of safety glasses for sure though, if no veil. I appreciate your reply's, all.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2022, 09:24:11 pm »
Welcome to Beekeeping Rusty and its diversity of opinions! lol  Yes getting the feeling or 'sensing' their mood is what I was talking about earlier... Keep up the good work and enjoy your bees!

Phillip
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 01:52:58 am by Ben Framed »

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2022, 12:25:23 pm »
Rusty,
Keep in mind, time of day, flow and weather play a big factor in when to inspect your bees.
Ideally you want sunny, a blue sky, a good flow, and no thunderstorms around. Change any of those conditions and you may want to suit up. With none of them, you definitely want to suit up. The best time is when most of the field bees are working on a good flow.
Since I rarely suit up I try to wait until I have the right conditions to inspect my hives.
Proper smoking is also important and makes a big difference.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline beesonhay465

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2022, 11:46:26 pm »
the secret mentioned in one post ,is that they smoke themselves and not the bees. my fire in a metal wheelbarrow seemed to make me invisable to the bees.  as for treatment for mites the oxalic acid and glycerin on a blue shop towel placed on the brood frames works and each application lasts about a month.

Offline Rustys Bees

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2022, 02:16:18 am »
Exciting past few weeks with gardening and bee keeping. I checked my bees around 2 weeks ago and noticed that during my full inspect that I had a lot of space in my deep box since post winter of undrawn frames and empty space (pests/rodent invitation). I then got my jz nuc and put what little brood and stores they had into the nuc,I saw my queen briefly,she is swelling up much more than the last time I saw her in mid or late Feb. I am feeding with sugar water syrup outside hive...ants are an issue. Using DTE around the hive..as well as cinnamon to deter ants. I will upload photos.... I however did figure out that I do have a neighbor around a mile or so up the road that has bees attracted to my outside jar feeder. They seem to be of Carniolan color references. My bees are defensive against them  an as well the obvious appearance color wise difference. I do not notice much pressure from them trying to get into my nuc ,from my observation, besides normal interests....

In other news I have completed my 6 frame nuc...after paint, this thing is solid heavy(5/8 board fence panels)... hoping for a long life of service, for me... As said earlier, I have noticed my queen swelling up a good bit over the past 2 or so weeks since eyes last laid on her.

Thank you all for your replys and sharing of information an as well as welcoming me again, officially to the community...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 02:20:17 pm by Rustys Bees »