Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What?s Cookin?  (Read 32034 times)

Offline .30WCF

• Field Bee
Re: What?s Cookin?
« Reply #560 on: July 04, 2022, 05:23:22 pm »
Usually I cook, but my wife has the last couple nights. The kids picked the sides and helped. I think the marshmallows was what sold them?

The cube steak was pre-cubed from the store. (Scored all over, almost minced) Breaded and fried, then 6 hrs in a crock pot.  Gravy made from the juices, and served over potatoes.

We had a Yankee Candle, Harvest Candle going. I do miss fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mom wants to know what you are putting in the crock pot with it.  Water?  Broth?  Nothing?
The pan drippings and buttermilk with some salt and pepper, thickened into a gravy with some flour then everything into the crock pot.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #561 on: July 04, 2022, 06:35:51 pm »
Usually I cook, but my wife has the last couple nights. The kids picked the sides and helped. I think the marshmallows was what sold them?

The cube steak was pre-cubed from the store. (Scored all over, almost minced) Breaded and fried, then 6 hrs in a crock pot.  Gravy made from the juices, and served over potatoes.

We had a Yankee Candle, Harvest Candle going. I do miss fall.

Mom wants to know what you are putting in the crock pot with it.  Water?  Broth?  Nothing?
The pan drippings and buttermilk with some salt and pepper, thickened into a gravy with some flour then everything into the crock pot.
Thanks!  She said she'll give it a try sometime.  The crock pot is the automatic fix for making things tender, I guess.  We crock pot our home raised rabbits a lot, since they are so lean. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline .30WCF

• Field Bee
« Reply #562 on: July 05, 2022, 11:13:35 pm »
The 4th was steak, home made scalloped potatoes, corn and the last of the squash. The steak got away from her and just a tad over done, but it was great.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #563 on: July 06, 2022, 06:41:36 pm »
The 4th was steak, home made scalloped potatoes, corn and the last of the squash. The steak got away from her and just a tad over done, but it was great.

Looks amazing!  Big steaks are hard.  We basically only do steak tips now because my mom gets stressed out about grilling them, and the steak tips come out perfect every time. 

Here was our July 4th spread: Homemade corn dogs, fries, and pea salad.
[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #564 on: July 06, 2022, 06:53:26 pm »
How do you make homemade corn dogs?

I'm not a very imaginative cook   :grin:  I need ideas fed to me!
There is no week nor day nor hour when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their roughness and spirit of defiance.? --Walt Whitman

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #565 on: July 06, 2022, 07:18:45 pm »
How do you make homemade corn dogs?

I'm not a very imaginative cook   :grin:  I need ideas fed to me!
Hey, there's no shame in that!  :happy:  My mom doesn't just come up with this stuff on her own either.  I can count on one hand recipes she developed by herself out of thin air.  She gets her ideas from Pinterest and blogs mostly.  The big reason for so much variety in our cooking is we have too many people to afford going out to eat regularly, so she basically learned to homemake everything.  It's cheaper, and with lots of little kids, it's easier.  Most of the time it's better too.  She just said if you let her know what kinds of food you like to eat, she can probably recommend a bunch of recipes, none of which are original!  :cheesy:  She's not kidding either, if you want recommendations, just let me know.

This one is another hit from The Pioneer Woman.  https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a11357/classic-corn-dogs-and-cheese-on-a-stick/

My mom has a couple important notes. 
1. Ree's original recipe makes WAY too much, even for our big family.  My mom halves the recipe and further reduces the water.  It's kind of a feel for it thing, but you want the batter to be thick enough that it won't slough off in the deep fryer, so she usually uses around 2 cups of water instead of 3.   
2. We like to use bun sized hot dogs, since they are longer and have a nicer coating to meat ratio.  Now keep in mind that they have to fit in your deep fryer or whatever you are frying in, so if you have a small one, you may only have room for normal sized hot dogs, and it's fine with those too.     
3. For sticks we use thin wooden skewers that Mom cuts to size with a kitchen shears. 

Offline salvo

• Field Bee
« Reply #566 on: July 11, 2022, 12:30:35 am »
[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Salvo

Offline salvo

• Field Bee
« Reply #567 on: July 24, 2022, 12:20:53 am »
Hi Folks, WADDUP?

These two cannibals were sitting eating a clown.
One cannibal says to the other cannibal: *Hey? Does this taste funny to you?*

New York Times piece suggesting there's a 'time and place' for 'cannibalism'

https://www.foxnews.com/media/twitter-disgusted-new-york-times-piece-suggesting-theres-time-place-cannibalism

I purposefully drove 18 miles to buy a jar of Duke's Mayonnaise (It was hot. Car has AC). $6.19 for a 30-ounce jar, and it was *Tangy Lime".

I didn't get it. Waste of gas. Car has AC.

Sal

Salvo

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #568 on: July 24, 2022, 01:26:11 pm »
Hi Folks, WADDUP?
Hopefully I'll be back to posting food soon.  We've been sick so we didn't eat anything interesting for about two weeks.  And now that we are feeling better, food tastes so good to me, I can't seem to take the time to take a picture of it before I eat it.  :cheesy:

These two cannibals were sitting eating a clown.
One cannibal says to the other cannibal: *Hey? Does this taste funny to you?*

New York Times piece suggesting there's a 'time and place' for 'cannibalism'

https://www.foxnews.com/media/twitter-disgusted-new-york-times-piece-suggesting-theres-time-place-cannibalism
There is one time and place for cannibalism, 18th century lost at sea situations.  That is it. 

I purposefully drove 18 miles to buy a jar of Duke's Mayonnaise (It was hot. Car has AC). $6.19 for a 30-ounce jar, and it was *Tangy Lime".

I didn't get it. Waste of gas. Car has AC.

Sal
I'm surprised you didn't have to drive farther than that, as far north as you are.  I certainly wouldn't drive that far for Dukes, especially if the only option was "Tangy Lime".  :oops:

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #569 on: July 24, 2022, 09:16:21 pm »
the15th....
Sorry you were sick and glad you are better.
Cheers
gww

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #570 on: July 25, 2022, 09:09:34 am »
Did you hear about the cannibal who passed his friend on the trail?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #571 on: July 25, 2022, 11:00:27 am »
Did you hear about the cannibal who passed his friend on the trail?
Nope.  Do tell.   :grin:

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #572 on: July 25, 2022, 01:33:16 pm »
15th can we have an update on the freeze drying if you have been doing any?
There is no week nor day nor hour when tyranny may not enter upon this country, if the people lose their roughness and spirit of defiance.? --Walt Whitman

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #573 on: July 25, 2022, 02:49:28 pm »
15th can we have an update on the freeze drying if you have been doing any?
Sure.  I'll go dredge up the prepper thread, since that's where most of that conversation was before. 

Offline .30WCF

• Field Bee
« Reply #574 on: July 25, 2022, 07:01:12 pm »

Offline .30WCF

• Field Bee
« Reply #575 on: July 25, 2022, 07:43:57 pm »

Offline .30WCF

• Field Bee
« Reply #576 on: July 25, 2022, 08:39:05 pm »

Offline salvo

• Field Bee
« Reply #577 on: July 25, 2022, 08:53:53 pm »
30!

WOW!

Sal
Salvo

Offline .30WCF

• Field Bee
What?s Cookin?
« Reply #578 on: July 25, 2022, 08:55:02 pm »
30!

WOW!

Sal
Yes, That?s Dukes.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Super Bee
« Reply #579 on: July 25, 2022, 08:57:31 pm »