Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Book Ideas to Increase Reading Level  (Read 3383 times)

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Book Ideas to Increase Reading Level
« on: December 11, 2020, 04:58:07 pm »
My 14 year old sister is currently in that unfortunate dead zone of reading where children's books are too easy for her, but her vocabulary isn't quite large enough to read adult literature yet.  I've been searching and searching for some quality teen or easy adult books for her to up her reading level, and I'm not finding anything.  Anyone have any ideas?   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Book Ideas to Increase Reading Level
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 05:27:55 pm »
Badger Boy by Elmer Kelton

The boy in the book would be about her age. Based on Texas historical fiction. Good for any one male or female, any age 14 up in my opinion.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 06:06:48 pm »
Read them even if your vocabulary isn't up to it.  It soon will be.  If you don't know a word but the sentence makes enough sense without it, keep going.  If it's obvious that the meaning of that word is essential to undertanding it, look it up.  It's SO easy to look things up today with the internet...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 08:18:19 pm »
Read them even if your vocabulary isn't up to it.  It soon will be.  If you don't know a word but the sentence makes enough sense without it, keep going.  If it's obvious that the meaning of that word is essential to undertanding it, look it up.  It's SO easy to look things up today with the internet...

She knows about using context clues and she'll frequently come to me with words she doesn't know.  I did try just throwing her to the big leagues; she struggled through some of Hawthorne's "Twice Told Tales", and I gave her Little Women, but she's having too much trouble with overall comprehension to enjoy it, so she just bumped back down.  I need something that has some words she doesn't know, but not so many that she can't get everything out of the book. 

Badger Boy by Elmer Kelton

The boy in the book would be about her age. Based on Texas historical fiction. Good for any one male or female, any age 14 up in my opinion.
Phillip, this is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, an adult book that could be a good read for a younger audience.  I'm not sure if she'll be into a western or not (she doesn't love cowboys like I do :happy:), but I'll see if she's interested in it.  And if she's not, I certainly am!     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 08:35:51 pm »
Even though this particular book is a western location wise, it?s not about cowboys as we might think. Is is based of the very early settlers. Badger Boy is a young boy that has been taken by Comanches at a very young age and retrieved a few years after a raid. The raiders were tracked down and Badger Boy...... Anyway, it is more of an early Texas Ranger type situation, based of facts but added fiction classified as western fiction. I assure you once she reads the first chapter she will be hooked and eager to read more and more and more lol.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 08:45:27 pm »
Even though this particular book is a western location wise, it?s not about cowboys as we might think. Is is based of the very early settlers. Badger Boy is a young boy that has been taken by Comanches at a very young age and retrieved a few years after a raid. The raiders were tracked down and Badger Boy...... Anyway, it is more of an early Texas Ranger type situation, based of facts but added fiction classified as western fiction. I assure you once she reads the first chapter she will be hooked and eager to read more and more and more lol.
If it's more about settlers than like Lone Ranger-type bankrobbers and bandits and stuff, I think she will really like it.  She typically enjoys historical fiction.  I see that this book is #2 of a series titled Texas Rangers, but people seem to like Badger Boy the best out of the four books.  Are you familiar with the other books, and would you recommend them as well? 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 08:52:14 pm »
If it's more about settlers than like Lone Ranger-type bankrobbers and bandits and stuff, I think she will really like it.  She typically enjoys historical fiction.  I see that this book is #2 of a series titled Texas Rangers, but people seem to like Badger Boy the best out of the four books.  Are you familiar with the other books, and would you recommend them as well?

Yes I am familiar with his writings.  I have read many books by many authors. This fellow is by FAR my all time favorite. I may have read all of his  books by now: It has been some years since I read the Badger Boy books. It would be best to read the 1st one in the series. It may be Texas Rifles but I'm not sure, it's been a while lol.

.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 09:52:20 pm by Ben Framed »

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 07:14:07 pm »
It's here!  (I was going to post a picture, but for some reason you can't on this section of the forum :sad:)  Finally a book that I can use my Gunsmoke bookmark with.  :happy:   

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 10:58:26 pm »
Did you get baby sis fixed up? I used to have a lot of these books when I was a kid. I don?t remember how old I was, probably younger than 14. They may still be too elementary for her.

https://www.greatillustratedclassics.com

They are edited to be easy for kids. There are lots of well known novels that are easy to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 11:51:46 pm »
Did you get baby sis fixed up? I used to have a lot of these books when I was a kid. I don?t remember how old I was, probably younger than 14. They may still be too elementary for her.

https://www.greatillustratedclassics.com

They are edited to be easy for kids. There are lots of well known novels that are easy to read.

We do have some of those in the house, Black Beauty and some of Jack London's stuff I believe, and yes, they are below her reading level at this point, but our kids have enjoyed those.  She found some teen stuff that she is having fun with right now.  It's not exactly the quality I was looking for, but you can learn almost as much about good writing from reading bad books as you can from good ones, and she's well-read enough to recognize when something is dumb, so as long as she doesn't lose that, I'm happy.   :happy:       

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 12:29:28 am »
Good then. I do remember liking these books as a kid, but possibly I was much younger than I was originally remembering.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2021, 11:34:22 am »
Member, you and your family might enjoy the following recording.
A Night to Remember

To listen touch >Watch on YouTube< provided on the screen below.

https://youtu.be/WdyjUxOaBSc

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2021, 01:55:32 pm »
What about the Nancy Drew mysteries, or Little House on the Prarie?  Both are aimed at her age.  Good Reads has a YA list that is bound to have some of what she would like.  Some like like trash for a teen, but there's some good in there too.

I am with Michael that reading above your level brings you up.  At her age I picked up A Tale of Two Cities and The Count of Monte Cristo.  Somewhere in there, I picked up The Three Musketeers.   :cheesy:
They gave me a life long love of (semi) historical fiction!  Find stuff in the subjects she likes and she'll manage to read the material. 

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2021, 02:19:03 pm »
Good suggestions Kathy, my fifth grade teacher read the Little House on The Prairie when I was in the fifth grade. She would read a little each day after lunch recess, which was a great time to do so. Recess in those days was a big deal for we kids. We had about 45 minutes of rip roaring, hard playing, good times. When we came to class from that time, we were tired, quiet, and attentive. I really enjoyed her taking the time to entertain us in such away.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2021, 02:28:51 pm »
What about the Nancy Drew mysteries, or Little House on the Prarie?  Both are aimed at her age.  Good Reads has a YA list that is bound to have some of what she would like.  Some like like trash for a teen, but there's some good in there too.

I am with Michael that reading above your level brings you up.  At her age I picked up A Tale of Two Cities and The Count of Monte Cristo.  Somewhere in there, I picked up The Three Musketeers.   :cheesy:
They gave me a life long love of (semi) historical fiction!  Find stuff in the subjects she likes and she'll manage to read the material. 
We actually have Little House as an audiobook, so she's not interested in reading it, since she's heard it that way.  I have broached mysteries like Nancy Drew as well, but she doesn't like books that are just about normal life; she likes there to be a fantastical element about the book.  For example she really likes Dianne Wynne Jones.  I agree that the key is finding something that she is interested enough in the plow through.  I actually gave her The Picture of Dorian Gray, which was a little bit of a challenge for her, but was short enough that she didn't get discouraged with it, and she enjoyed it very much.  She's reading the Lorien Legacies series right now, which isn't classics quality to be sure, but it's not junk either.   

I was super into historical fiction as a kid too, but it's not something my younger siblings have enjoyed like I did.  Dickens and Dumas are definitely too far out of her reach at this point, but I read Tale of Two Cities and Monte Cristo as a teen as well.  I have Three Musketeers, but I've never gotten around to reading it yet.  Monte Cristo is one of my all-time favorites.  I have the Penguin Classics paperback, and the book is so large that it's not holding up well.  I was planning on getting myself a hardcover edition for Christmas, but the cover art that Penguin has out right now is really kind of ugly, and they have the best translation so I guess I'll just have to wait.

Good suggestions Kathy, my fifth grade teacher read the Little House on The Prairie when I was in the fifth grade. She would read a little each day after lunch recess, which was a great time to do so. Recess in those days was a big deal for we kids. We had about 45 minutes of rip roaring, hard playing, good times. When we came to class from that time, we were tired, quiet, and attentive. I really enjoyed her taking the time to entertain us in such away.
I am of the opinion that recess being taken away from kids is a big part of why many don't do well in school today. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2021, 02:41:55 pm »
I am of the opinion that recess being taken away from kids is a big part of why many don't do well in school today.

I am in complete agreement and to deprive children of such goes against nature and science in my opinion. This may be a BIG reason for all the A.D.D. stuff going on with kids. I have given this much thought through the past few years. Think about it; Any growing species NEEDS growing time in exercise. Watch kittens, puppies, calfs and colts for instance. I have watched calfs and colts, which were laying down one second, jump to their feet with a burst of energy and speed, taking off in full stride running until they have had enough and then go back to normal once that burst of energy had been expelled. It is only natural for young growing things, (including children), to have a opportunity to fulfill that need to exhaust that built up, natural energy. A recess in the morning, long recess after lunch, and a recess in the afternoon helped children to 'let the steam off' and come back to class refreshed, relaxed, and ready to learn.. Just my opinion...

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2021, 05:32:01 pm »
What about the Wheel of Time series?  I know Amazon is doing the series, but the story is so complex that you could read it also and not have conflict.  Some stuff by Lois McMaster Bujold?  The Vorkosigan series is good.  Jeff Wheeler is another author that has a lot of good fantasy stuff.  Several series that kind of tie together.  Bella Forrest wrote some stuff aimed at YA, but all of her series that I have read are good.

None of the above are very complicated language wise, but if she likes fantasy and series stuff she might find something there.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2021, 06:13:36 pm »
What about the Wheel of Time series?  I know Amazon is doing the series, but the story is so complex that you could read it also and not have conflict.  Some stuff by Lois McMaster Bujold?  The Vorkosigan series is good.  Jeff Wheeler is another author that has a lot of good fantasy stuff.  Several series that kind of tie together.  Bella Forrest wrote some stuff aimed at YA, but all of her series that I have read are good.

None of the above are very complicated language wise, but if she likes fantasy and series stuff she might find something there.
Thanks!  I'll take a look at those.  The only one I've heard of is Wheel of Time.  She has several series going at the moment, so I'm more looking for standalones, but I'll see what she seems interested in.