Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Gone fishing  (Read 7043 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Gone fishing
« on: February 25, 2017, 09:06:52 pm »
My son, his cousin, and myself caught 30 Crappie yesterday. Some over 2 lb. All over a lb.  Son and cousin went this morning and caught 21 of the same. This evening, son, a friend, and myself caught 16 more of the same and a 4 1/2 lb. catfish.

Total,   67 large Crappie and one catfish. All are now filleted and going into the freezer tomorrow,    except those going in the frying pan tomorrow night.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
Re: Gone fishing
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 10:15:40 pm »
Yummm! :smile:
Neill

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 11:55:49 pm »
Sounds like someone had fun.  This could be the start of a long post like follow the bloom.  I bet we could get some whopper of fish stories this year.  :wink:

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 05:22:02 pm »
 :cool:
Lake, stream? what method?

Have a bit over 2 miles of creek through the farm here in Aus that is a nice little trout producer (brown and rainbow) only small water and small fish 8-12" most of the time although it does produce a few around 20" each year.
Haven't done a lot this year but early in the season I caught 10 in an hour a few times, I throw most back and just keep the odd one for the smoker.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 06:51:31 pm »
5,350 acre lake "21.65 square kilometer"

Badin Lake, NC

Minnows and jigs "small lures"
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 04:08:14 am »
Cool have quite a few dams close by to me, Blowering dam is just over the hill, it is where the world water speed record was set, 317.58mph back in 1977 and still stands to this day.
Not sure what area it covers but capacity is 1,628,000 meglitres, 430 billion US gallons.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 02:11:33 pm »
Fishing season starts for me next week. I am not a huge crappie fisherman but do attempt it from time to time. I tend to stick to large mouth. I hope to post a picture of a wall hanger this eyar.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 05:27:40 pm »
What is a crappie?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 09:18:55 pm »
Kinda like rock bass.  Sweat white meat but bony.  I can see why you would filet them.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 09:34:59 am »
Kinda like rock bass.  Sweat white meat but bony.  I can see why you would filet them.

THey come in white and black varieties. Nice meat for a freshwater fish. They are a pan fish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crappie#Commercial_fishing

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 01:28:52 pm »
I grew up in south Louisiana, we called them sac a lait which means sack of milk, referring to how tasty they are and also how easy to tear a hook out of their mouth if you try to horse em in.
Neill

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 07:48:00 pm »
In my pond I have shell crackers and sunfish. Pretty much the same size fish just a little bit different in color/pattern. They are also excellent eating. Pull them out of the water, scale them and put them on the grill.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 08:55:20 pm »
In my pond I have shell crackers and sunfish. Pretty much the same size fish just a little bit different in color/pattern. They are also excellent eating. Pull them out of the water, scale them and put them on the grill.
Jim

Now your bring back memories jim. My brother and I went down the st. john's back in 89 and caught about 200 shell crackers in one sat. all at least 2 lb. man that was great fun.( even with the 15 foot gators chasing us in the boat). then cleaned them at the boat ramp not looking under the cleaning station( big old fat 17 footer holding his mouth open under the drain) man I miss doing that. :cry: :cry:

john

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 11:05:53 pm »
Golly, John, you must have had your magnifying glasses on that day.   :shocked:

""The current record holder is a 14 foot 3-1/2 inch male from Lake Washington in Brevard County, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.""

Those Florida shellcrackers get upwards of 4 lbs. Around here a 3/4 lb. one is a monster. Crappie get up to 5 lb. here.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 10:37:36 am »

""The current record holder is a 14 foot 3-1/2 inch male from Lake Washington in Brevard County, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.""

Those Florida shellcrackers get upwards of 4 lbs. Around here a 3/4 lb. one is a monster. Crappie get up to 5 lb. here.

All I know is they were as long or longer than our 16 basstracker front control bass boat. Or and those records for length are only for the ones caught. There are photos of 15-16 footers all over the place in Fl. With witness indicators.

John

https://youtu.be/RXn1g0xtUMk

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2017, 01:01:24 pm »

Most of mine are way less than a pound. If I start feeding them on a daily basis, I might be able to get them to grow.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 01:24:03 pm »
Just remember, witness indicators on snakes and gators are in direct relation to how close they are when first seen?   :shocked:   :cheesy:
Witnesses have seen 9 ft. cottonmouths when the record is 4 plus feet.

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 04:11:25 pm »
>Just remember, witness indicators on snakes and gators are in direct relation to how close they are when first seen?

We know what people estimate is wrong... you get a swarm call for a cluster twice the size of a basketball 10 feet up a tree and it's a swarm the size of a softball 30 feet up...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin