Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Best smoker in aus  (Read 20958 times)

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
Re: Best smoker in aus
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 09:36:54 am »
lone, I know you stuck on Australian, but the only smoker made is a dadant in my book. jp, shawee, and scott all use this  the biggest they make with a cage around it because that sucker will brand you.  properly packed wil work 20 hives  it stays in the back oof my truck at all times and is made of stainless  so no weather effects
to bee or not to bee

Offline OldPlop

• Brood
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2021, 06:45:35 pm »
Been looking for the best smoker in Aus and Google kept pointing me to this thread and not much else. So I signed up to comment.

Was given a cheap Chinese smoker when I started out the hobby 8 or 9 years ago and have to admit that although built quality is a bit flimsy, they are actually really good. Anyone that says the Chinese smokers don?t burn well are not packing and lightning them correctly.

Mine still works like day one and has been used weekly. I clean a few times a year by burning out the creosote. Leather bellows is still perfect.

And that?s why I?m not a fan of the Beeco smokers that have inferior vinyl bellows which is disappointing considering the price. They are otherwise very solidly built and have a killer feature- a separate intake valve which reduces the risk of sucking out embers. Then they are missing a hook which for me is very important because I never put mine down on the ground and risk a bushfire. I hang mine in a fence. I?m not a fan of the Beeco heat shield either.

So, I?m also looking for the best smoker available but can?t find one that ticks all my boxes for my fire risk site:

1. Separate intake valve
2. Leather not synthetic bellows
3. Solid construction
4. Hanging hook
5. Hinge with pin not folded metal
6. Grate in lid to minimise embers blowing out
7. And hey, a domed lid looks nicer but I?m being picky.

Can?t find a smoker with all the above anywhere. If someone knows where to get one please let me know.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2021, 06:53:00 pm »
Oldpop,
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2021, 06:55:34 pm »
OldPlop, glad you found us. Glad you joined regardless of your reason. I hope you find 'that smoker' which you seek...  Stick around and enjoy the forum.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Gunsmoke58A

• New Bee
  • Just a bloke with too many nerdy hobbies
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2022, 07:23:08 pm »
Been looking for the best smoker in Aus and Google kept pointing me to this thread and not much else. So I signed up to comment.

Was given a cheap Chinese smoker when I started out the hobby 8 or 9 years ago and have to admit that although built quality is a bit flimsy, they are actually really good. Anyone that says the Chinese smokers don?t burn well are not packing and lightning them correctly.

Mine still works like day one and has been used weekly. I clean a few times a year by burning out the creosote. Leather bellows is still perfect.

And that?s why I?m not a fan of the Beeco smokers that have inferior vinyl bellows which is disappointing considering the price. They are otherwise very solidly built and have a killer feature- a separate intake valve which reduces the risk of sucking out embers. Then they are missing a hook which for me is very important because I never put mine down on the ground and risk a bushfire. I hang mine in a fence. I?m not a fan of the Beeco heat shield either.

So, I?m also looking for the best smoker available but can?t find one that ticks all my boxes for my fire risk site:

1. Separate intake valve
2. Leather not synthetic bellows
3. Solid construction
4. Hanging hook
5. Hinge with pin not folded metal
6. Grate in lid to minimise embers blowing out
7. And hey, a domed lid looks nicer but I?m being picky.

Can?t find a smoker with all the above anywhere. If someone knows where to get one please let me know.

I have a Beeco and my only misgivings are the same as yours.  No hook, not leather and the heat shield is a bit meh.  So I'll hit a local leather worker up for an upgrade on the bellows and the rest I'll fix myself as I'm a fitter and turner.  As is usually the case, nothing is perfect for you and your individual requirements until you fix it yourself!
Arte et Marte

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2022, 05:11:43 am »
I currently use a Beeco and find it works well .I also have a couple of Chinese smokers and they also produce good smoke. Funny that. They all do the job they were designed for and stay alight for quite a few hours. I do have a preference for the Beeco only due to its construction quality. If I had half a dozen hives, the Chinese smoker would be my choice due to price.

Offline Charlie Bezzina

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2022, 06:32:18 pm »
Something very few people consider when purchasing foreign made smokers...

https://southburnett.com.au/news2/2022/03/15/asbestos-warning-for-beekeepers/

Offline Smoke

• New Bee
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2022, 07:46:37 pm »
Those ?foreign made smokers?.

I don?t think that beekeepers are dropping dead of Mesothelioma after using foreign smokers. Still don?t want one with an asbestos bellows. The issue is mostly with Chinese smokers sold on eBay. Locally sold ones now are tested for asbestos.

I am still using one I bought 10 years ago on eBay and has a genuine leather bellows. Will last me decades more.

I get cracked up when I see smokers advertised locally as made for ?Australian conditions?. What are Australian conditions?

I acquired a Beeco recently. Very sturdy. It was poorly made though and when puffed the smoke came back in my face from under the lid. I assume it?s one off defect. But I also didn?t like the lack of hook as I?m used to hanging mine, and the heat shield is rather impractical and not great. I prefer a wire cage that wraps around and that goes all the way down the sides. Also, nothing beats a genuine leather bellows and Beeco?s is some vinyl material. It was sent back and I reverted to my original one.

anything