Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Why do you put queens in a cage.  (Read 1133 times)

Offline jwchitwood

• New Bee
    • Chitwood Family Farm
Why do you put queens in a cage.
« on: May 29, 2022, 03:58:52 pm »
I'm working on a presentation about caging queens.  I'm trying to put together a comprehensive list of reasons why one would put a queen in a cage.  For example, I put queens in a cage when I'm going to move a nuc. Or I put the current laying queen in a cage because I know I'm going to re-queen colonies. And I don't want to spend a bunch of time looking for queens on re-queening day.  I know I can't think of all the reasons. So I'm looking for a little help. What are the reasons you cage and queen and why?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Why do you put queens in a cage.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 08:41:54 pm »
I cage a queen when I am doing a cut out and I want to keep her in the hive for 3 days. Same with a swarm.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 02:40:31 am »
I cage the queen for her safety when I am ripping and tearing up a hive to overhaul the nest, or major cleanups, or big hive cut downs, nuc-ing out, etc.  step 1 find the queen.  Step 2 put her into a roller cage and put her in my pocket.  Step 3 go fuzzy bear mode. Step 4 put all back together.  Step 5 release the queen back into the overhauled hive.  Walk away. 
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 05:10:21 pm »
1. A brood break. I cage queens in full depth cages to prevent her from laying and reduce numbers as a form of swarm prevention, when I dont have the need for more splits...this is due to being in the tropics with little or no winter and constant build up.

2. I have caged queens in the full frame cages for short periods when a colony is about to swarm. The caging prevents the colony from swarming ( prior to virgins able to fly) giving me a little time to organize equipment etc.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 05:27:06 pm by Bee North »

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 11:41:12 am »
I cage a queen when I am doing a cut out and I want to keep her in the hive for 3 days. Same with a swarm.

Thanks, Jim.  This answered another question I have - about how long to cage a queen from a cutout of a colony that has newly settled-in.  After colonies absconded on me two times, I learned my lesson. When the comb is white and pristine and almost impossible to rubber band into the frames, they WILL abscond - IF I can?t find the queen or put a guard on the entrance.

I was about to leave the job site when I happened to find the queen walking around on the windowsill inside the house below the dormer ceiling we pulled the colony out of.  She is inside the hive now in a catcher.  Now I know to leave her in for three days.  Thanks, again!
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

anything