Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lemon Balm  (Read 8943 times)

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
Lemon Balm
« on: June 21, 2004, 11:32:21 am »
One of my books on herbs suggests rubbing the inside of the hive with lemon balm. I do have some growing here, so I've done that with my new hives.

The nucs I ordered should be coming this week, so I'll let you know how the bees seem to like it.

Has anyone ever heard of this, or is it just herbalist lore?
Lesli

Offline lobstafari

• House Bee
Lemon Balm
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 12:12:30 pm »
Whats the purpose?  Does it say?  I just put the bees right into unfinished pine hives, and they seem to do just fine.

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
Lemon Balm
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 12:22:42 pm »
Quote from: lobstafari
Whats the purpose?  Does it say?  I just put the bees right into unfinished pine hives, and they seem to do just fine.

It just says, "To condition the bee hive, rub with lemon balm."

Shrug. Maybe bees like lemony stuff.
Lesli

Offline Blackbird

• House Bee
Lemon Balm
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 02:14:44 pm »
I read an article in American Bee Journal that lemon grass has a similar effect as the queens pheremons. You could use it to catch a swarm. maybe lemon balm is the same?

Stacie

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
Lemon Balm
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 04:37:52 pm »
Quote from: Blackbird
I read an article in American Bee Journal that lemon grass has a similar effect as the queens pheremons. You could use it to catch a swarm. maybe lemon balm is the same?

Stacie

Maybe--lemon grass and lemon balm have a very strong lemon scent. I guess if it does have a similar effect, it would make the bees happy in their new home.
Lesli

Offline steve

• House Bee
Lemon Balm
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2004, 09:23:20 pm »
I use a spray bottle of 1 to 1 sugar syrup (qt.) with a couple of drops of wintergreen sprayed on the inside of the new hive and frames.... this also works exceptionally well for swarm introduction if I have no drawn comb, just foundation.
                  Steve

Offline lobstafari

• House Bee
Lemon Balm
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2004, 09:42:22 pm »
Steve,
  What does that really do? Does it just help them start drawing out faster? Or keep them from leaving the hive?  Or just make them feel more at home? :)  I sprayed sugar water on my super frames to get them to go up through the excluder and start drawing, but never heard of these other additives, just curious,
Thanks, Jeremy

Offline steve

• House Bee
Lemon Balm
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2004, 10:49:10 pm »
Jeremy,
     What it really does is two fold, first the wintergreen masked the "new wood" smell and secound the sugar syrup keeps the bees in the hive
 ( sucking up the syrup ) long enough so their smell permeates the hive,
  after a couple of hours the sugar syrup is all cleaned up and the hive smells like home!
       This system also works exceptionally well when adding frames of bees and brood from one hive to another. Spray the new frame or frames of bees and put them into the recieceing hive.....the wintergreen masked the old hive smell and the bees on both sides are busy cleaning each other......no fighting....quick and easy !!!
                                             Steve

Offline snowzerdog

• House Bee
wintergreen
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 08:27:54 am »
You may be doing a twofold thing there as organic beekeeping is experimenting with wintergreen as a varroa control spray
God doesn't owe you anything, but you owe everything to God!

Offline steve

• House Bee
Lemon Balm
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 07:58:11 pm »
You're quite right Snowzerdog, I use screened bottom boards on my hives
 and do sugar rolls and mite drop test on sticky boards to determine mite populations before medicating, (IPM)........it works.....cost of meds. per year is down 67% in my yards......and for the most part organics are cheaper and for sure a lot safer.
                                                  Steve

anything