ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > OTHER INSECTS BOTH GOOD AND BAD FOR THE GARDEN

Prenolepis imparis (The Winter Ant)

<< < (2/2)

reinbeau:
MrILoveTheAnts, do they live up as far north as my area?

MrILoveTheAnts:
reinbeau: Yes I think they do occur in your area. Might even be as high is Canada. Some verities of this ant might be darker or lighter then the ones I have pictures. The replete caste (honey pot ants) is usually a dead giveaway, they measure close to 4mm long.

reinbeau:
I don't think I've ever seen them, but I may not be looking in the right places.  I do tend to observe the ants when I find them - then again, I tend to observe everything in nature! 

Cindi:
MrILoveTheAnts.  OK, you have sent me on a mission.  The next nice day, that may be a while, I am going to check out some nature, like Ann, I love to observe ants and nature, I am usually on my knees outside weeding, planting and it is surprising the insects that are way down on the ground.

The funniest insect that I see is the funny spiders that live under the ground.  When I unearth them acidentally, they run away with their little sac of eggs on their backs.  I have no clue how they can keep these egg sacks on their backs, but they do.  And I have also seen this same species of spider with all the little babies on the back in a ball too.  So cool, so funny, it makes me laugh.  I watch them and it is not long before somehow they are gone, back under the ground in another spot.  Coool, the world below our feet.  have a wonderful day, beauty of a life.  Cindi

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version