Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beeswax Deodorant/Antiperspirant  (Read 3128 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Beeswax Deodorant/Antiperspirant
« on: March 18, 2023, 07:25:29 pm »
I'm working on perfecting a homemade deodorant/antiperspirant recipe right now.  I made a batch a few weeks ago, but I didn't like having the deodorant in a jar instead of a stick; it was too messy.  I also wanted it to be a little less creamy and more powdery.  So I bought some empty deodorant tubes from Amazon, and I added more beeswax and more starch to the recipe.  I tried it out today, and I'm pleased so far, although a 40F day isn't much of a test.  :grin:  Anyone else ever tried making deodorant? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Beeswax Deodorant/Antiperspirant
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 09:57:50 am »
That looks great. I didn?t even know that you could make it. I?m allergic to most deodorants.
Can you share your recipe.
What is in it?
Jim Altmiller rd
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 05:13:21 pm »
That looks great. I didn?t even know that you could make it. I?m allergic to most deodorants.
Can you share your recipe.
What is in it?
Jim Altmiller rd
Sure.  Like I said, it may need some more tweaking, since I haven't tested it on a hot summer day yet, but it's pretty warm in the living room this afternoon with the fire, and it's performing well.  And I sweat a TON.  That thing where people say "women don't sweat, they glisten", yeah, I sweat.  :cheesy: 

I adapted the recipe from one I found on the Joybilee Farm blog called "Lemongrass Deodorant for Sensitive Skin".

Ingredients

2 tbsp. shea butter
2 tbsp. coconut oil
12g beeswax
6 tsp. tapioca flour
(Some brands have this labeled tapioca starch.  You could also use potato or arrowroot starch/flour according to the original recipe.)
50 drops lemongrass essential oil
Plastic deodorant sticks
(For me the recipe made 1 stick, but my sticks aren't labeled with how much they hold, so I'm not sure how much the recipe makes.)

Directions

Melt shea butter, coconut oil, and beeswax in double boiler or microwave until beeswax is fully melted.  If using a double boiler, remove from heat.  Stir in the flour until it is fully incorporated.  Once the mixture is unified, add the lemongrass essential oil.  Pour into deodorant stick(s) and allow to solidify.  The deodorant should last 12 months if kept sealed, cool, and dry. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 11:12:43 pm »
Thanks Reagan.
It?s very difficult to reply right now. Hopefully this will get through.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 12:07:59 am »
Thanks Reagan.
It?s very difficult to reply right now. Hopefully this will get through.
Jim Altmiller
I see you, no worries.  :happy:  It's taking me a couple of tries too.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 06:58:29 am »
The lemongrass oil may cause the bees to take an inordinate interest in the person's underarms...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 12:06:14 pm »
The lemongrass oil may cause the bees to take an inordinate interest in the person's underarms...
That's the bonus!  Now if I see a swarm leaving a hive, I'll just raise my arms to the sky, and they'll land on my armpits!  Easiest swarm catch ever!  :wink: :cheesy:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 03:26:41 pm »
Love it!  :wink:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 02:07:04 pm »
> Easiest swarm catch ever!

Just remember, it will probably work.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2023, 10:10:52 am »
Anyone else ever tried making deodorant? 

Late to the game (or thread in this case). I stopped using deodorants a long time ago. *Aaron must be a smelly guy* I just use baking soda, keep a little container in the bathroom and when I'm done showering put a little in my armpits. Sticks well from the dampness and never have odor unless I go a few days without applying. For those who doubt and think maybe I just don't smell myself I have some brutally honest friends that would not only tell me I stink but would leap on the opportunity to ridicule me mercilessly if I started smelling badly (I know from experience)  🤣

Baking soda = cheapest deodorant ever

I also use it in solution with water in place of shampoo and an ACV solution as conditioner
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2023, 08:44:43 pm »
Late to the game (or thread in this case). I stopped using deodorants a long time ago. *Aaron must be a smelly guy* I just use baking soda, keep a little container in the bathroom and when I'm done showering put a little in my armpits. Sticks well from the dampness and never have odor unless I go a few days without applying. For those who doubt and think maybe I just don't smell myself I have some brutally honest friends that would not only tell me I stink but would leap on the opportunity to ridicule me mercilessly if I started smelling badly (I know from experience)  🤣

Baking soda = cheapest deodorant ever

I also use it in solution with water in place of shampoo and an ACV solution as conditioner
Does it get all over your clothes though?  What if you sweat it off and have to reapply it?  My biggest problem is being soaked with sweat, so I almost always have to reapply my deodorant, even commercial deodorants, if I've been doing some sort of strenuous work.  That's why was really looking for some antiperspirant action in the recipe.  I was considering using baking soda in my recipe in the future for more odor control, plus it's cheaper than the tapioca flour.  For the hot sweaty summer months, I will also be putting more powder in the next batch.  I'm also thinking about adding some propolis, since that's a great deodorizer too, but I'm worried about that staining my clothes. 

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2023, 12:03:46 am »
I've never found an antiperspirant to be very effective for me, not to mention I'm often outside working and I sweat enough my whole shirt gets wet. Even on a really sweaty day it doesn't lose its odor fighting effect. As far as clothes go I usually dampen my fingers and under my arms and just dip/pat. No pinching of it or anything or it could be messy falling to the floor
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2023, 08:05:55 am »
My father was allergic to deodorant. He used salt.
I?m also allergic to most deodorants. I was always scratching my arm pits. It took years to find one that worked for me. This is what I use:

Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2023, 02:44:56 pm »
My father was allergic to deodorant. He used salt.
Salt?  I've never heard of that one.

I?m also allergic to most deodorants. I was always scratching my arm pits. It took years to find one that worked for me. This is what I use:
That's actually the commercial deodorant I use too.  I have really sensitive skin, and for some reason, men's deodorant works better for me than women's.  I guess I sweat a manly amount.  :cheesy: