BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DISEASE & PEST CONTROL

Mason jar external beetle trap

<< < (8/8)

Bob Wilson:
I found a thick clear vinyl at Walmart. They have it in 4 feet wide rolls and sell it by the yard in the fabric/sewing area for $2.98 a yard, if i remember right. It works beautifully at waterproofing. I thought the foil bubble wrap would do the same and also add insulation, but it is not smooth enough to seal the top. Nevertheless, I am sure the dual usage will work well.

FloridaGardener:
Waterproofing:
The hive lids already have this pink R-5 foam, between the inner lid and the telescoping rim.

I was finding some bees would get washed off in sudden rainstorms because they won't go in ...probably I need slatted racks.  So I got more R-5 "Foamular One." for an overhang.  I weigh it down with a few surplus 1x2' tiles from our floor.  It does shed water well.
Yes it looks pretty "farmville," not urban chic.  But I like what it does.   

SHB: 1/8 mesh, oil trays + Dixie H700 towels.  I haven't lost a hive to SHB since I have put all 3 systems in place.   

With 3/4" putty knife in hand, I take out knock any empty/undrawn frames onto cardboard on my work table, and the putty knife is "absolutely smashing" - as the Brits say.  It's more precise and flexible than a hive tool.  If I clean up at least every 2 weeks, the bees "remember," and the cluster of bee guards in the inner lid release their captives one or two at a time, to The Smasher.  I pretend I'm playing Space Invaders with the bees.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version