Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Skype On A Mac?  (Read 3869 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Skype On A Mac?
« on: February 23, 2013, 12:07:54 pm »
I've successfully downloaded Skype on my iPhone but for some reason the camera mode is failing to stay connected for any length of time while using Skype on my desktop. I've removed the free download software and re-downloaded it several times without any improvements.

Google+ on the other hand works fine, camera stays connected, no issues there, just when using Skype on my desktop.

Anyone else having these issues?

Suggestions?

Thanks!!!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline fivecats

• New Bee
    • Franklin, Ink
Re: Skype On A Mac?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 01:59:51 pm »
What vintage Mac are you using?  What version of the OS?

In general, I'd recommend you try doing the following:

* Uninstall Skype completely.  Your best bet for doing this is to download App Cleaner, a free, complete uninstall application for the Macside.  I use it on all of my Mac users' Macs at werk and have come to depend on it to find and trash all of the 'hidden' preference and library files.

* Install and run YASU (Yet Another System Utility).  YASU is a pay-what-you-want software package.  I use it on my werk Macs as well, and it does a great job of cleaning up things in the background (think Rebuilding Your Desktop in the old System 7-9 days) as well as doing a permissions check.

* Boot your Mac off of your install DVD and do a permissions repair from there as well.

I've had odd problems with various versions of Skype on my werk iMac (running 10.7) where the app will crash if I try to open my Contacts list.  No idea why it happened, nor why it stopped happening.  I'd suspect their Macside app is a bit buggy, but I have lots of Macside friends who use it on a daily basis as part of their werkday.

Let me know if any of that helped.

-- Tom

p.s.  Apparently I haven't posted enough here yet to include the URLs for those two apps.  You'll find them easily enough if you consult The Google.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 04:11:34 pm »
JP, seems to be a common problem.  not a mac  user, but the community claims that other programs may be causing your problem.  if googling it doesn't give you the answer, i know an apple company  trouble shooter.  pm me if you want me to ask her.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 06:24:05 pm »
I have heard since MS took over skype there have been problems  that were unseen before. I guess I should fire up the old skype once in a while. I'm sure the version I have is pre MS but I bet it tries  or does update when I launch it.

JP,have you been using Google + for google hangout? I've been wondering how it works.

anything