ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > OTHER INSECTS BOTH GOOD AND BAD FOR THE GARDEN

Lunas are out

(1/2) > >>

BlueBee:
The Lunas are out in Michigan :)  

This female Actias Luna just emerged from her cocoon today.  I’ll try to get her mated tonight so we can have baby Lunas to watch.

She seems to like foam as much as my bees :-D

AllenF:
Pretty.

danno:
I saved a cecropia moth from home depot last weekend

BlueBee:
Here’s a photo of one of the moth mating cages I put the Luna female in.  I make these out of plastic snow fencing sold at most hardware stores.  These are super cheap and work fantastic for the larger moths (i.e. Cecropia and Polyphemus).  If your Luna is on the large size (northern genetics?) they won’t usually squeeze thru either, at least not until they’re mated and un-couple (the next evening).

Mating moths can be a real pain.  Some are very particular about their mates and the timing.  All are prime food for birds.  To avoid the birds I put my cages up in the trees at dark and set the alarm clock to go off before morning light to retrieve them.  Dang birds get up VERY early!

If you’ve got a mated pair you have to very carefully carry the cage into a structure (barn/shed/house) for the day so the birds don’t get the moths.  If you’re not careful, or trip, the moths will uncouple and you may end up with an unmated female. 

MrILoveTheAnts:
I was told by David L. Wagner (author of "Caterpillars of Eastern North America") that the smaller Luna Moths were the result of poor diet. Typically they have to continue eating leaves that have already fallen off the tree in the autumn. Larger ones are usually born over the summer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version