ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > OTHER INSECTS BOTH GOOD AND BAD FOR THE GARDEN

Carpenter Bees (photos)

<< < (2/4) > >>

JP:
Most searches will tell you three to four coats. They are relentless, no doubt.

...JP

BlueBee:
Saw something unexpected today.  I was out observing the bees and bugs on the late summer flowers.  Lots of things in bloom around here since we had good rains most of the summer.  Tons of carpenter bees now.  I was observing the honey bees all over the Sedum (autumn joy) and noticed a couple of carpenter bees on the Sedum as well.  What took me by surprise was one of the carpenter bees had a white spot on its nose/face.  I read that drones have the white spot, while females do not.  So do male carpenter bees forage for their nest like the female worker bees? 

Top half of image is a female carpenter bee, bottom half is a drone (I believe)

I thought honey bee drones were just slackers that did nothing but sit around drinking beer and watching TV all night and cruising for chicks all day?  Are all bee drones like that, or do some drones share the work load?

Scadsobees:
Cool pics!
Carpenter bees aren't social, so the drones have to make their own way and find their own food.  I assume that means nectar. 

Honeybees have their social structure more structured, the women bring the guys the beer and chips so they can watch football.  Then kick them out to starve when they get sick of the mooching.

JP:
Rick is correct. Carpenter bees are actually solitary insects. It just seems like they are all working together when a bunch of them are going in and out of a fence or overhang.

They're there because they are attracted to raw wood or wood that needs to be painted.

...JP

nietssemaj:
Is it possible to bait them to keep them away from say your cedar planked shed?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version