ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > OTHER INSECTS BOTH GOOD AND BAD FOR THE GARDEN

Carpenter Bees (photos)

<< < (3/4) > >>

divemaster1963:
I have a friend that sells carpenter bee traps for 20.00 dollars. all it is is a box 3x3x6 wood box with a rough hole about 1/2 in with a 20ox coke bottle screwed in a hole at the bottom. when they go in they get into the coke bottle and can not get out sue to the light and get confussed and die. they work great. normal bubble bees won't go in them. I works. my neighbor saved his shop by using them. he caught over a 100 this year. ( he counted them) and had no more boring holes in his shop.

john

rwurster:
I've had a few chords of wood in a pile for about 15 years and its infested with carpenter bees.  They have never been a problem in my hogshed or barn that sit right next to the wood pile.  If I start using that wood pile up they will probably obliterate all my standing wooden structures within a few years.

bud1:
borrow a tennis racket; i know a coupla fellas that get in trouble with their batting practice

BeeMaster2:
Used to use the tennis racket to kill them at the farm. They are destroying the roof on my dock. I stopped last year when I realized they are the main pollinator of my blueberries. Even with the hives within sight of the blueberries, I never see any bees on the flowers.
By the way, this weather really has the blueberries confused. I have blooms already.
Jim

Intheswamp:
Around here the next two or three nights are going to knock anything that thinks it wants to start blooming back a ways.  Low/mid twenties a couple of nights....cold for us. ;)

As for carpenter bees...  I went to a bee club meeting as a rank, rank beginner back in the summer down around the Florida line.  A guy happen to bring in a piece of 1-by material that he had re-sawn in half.  The carpenter bees had a literal maze running through that board, very interesting.  I wish I had taken a picture of it!

Ed

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version