BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DOWN UNDER BEEKEEPING

Collecting a feral hive

<< < (2/3) > >>

mick:
I always wondered about "wiring the comb in" until realised that you take an empty frame, stick the hive comb in it as best fit you can, then wrap it with wire about 6 times, an inch or two apart, so it looks like IIIIIIIIII, not ________
                                                    ________
                                                    ________

I spent so much of my brain energy worrying about the yanks sewing wire through comb to make it look like 4 strand frame.

SlickMick:
Hey Phil, how'd ya go with that feral hive? Did'ja have to break out the VB? Did'ja? Or was it all cool with the 'nads

Slicko

philinacoma:
 a nice easy one. The hardest part of the access was the rose bushes. :-P They were very well behaved bees and I only saw one trying to sting me through the gloves.

And the best thing was the tinnies stayed in the fridge, not on the googies. :)

The owner of the property didn't know the hive was there and opened up the compost bin to find probably 3 combs covered in bees. Looks like he dropped it pretty quick!

SlickMick:
Nice one Phil and its nice to know also that the VB was intended for its more conventional use :-D

Sliko

philinacoma:
Yeah, well I'm still a coward when it comes to handling the bees. I wear the full suit.

If I'm not touching the hive I'll happily walk up to them and look deep into their eyes in shorts and a tee shirt. I've only been stung by them the once, so far.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version