ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > GARDENING AROUND THE HOUSE

melons

(1/4) > >>

bill:
I raise a lot of vegetebles and I visited a farm last year where they raise melons for the wholesale mkt. they had a machine that beds up the ground puts dripline in covers it with plastic mulch and has two seats on it for someone to ride and put in plants. It also injects a small amount of slurry of composted chicken manure in solution, and punches the hole for the plant. well my boys are carpenters and we built a sled this spring that puts the dripline down and lays the plastic but we have to have two guys either side to shovel dirt on the edgesof the plastic mulch and our doesn't get it down quite as smooth but it does works.  I have been planting tomatoes with cages and a white plastic bag over it. It is a bit difficult because the wind here is awful. there is a huge mkt for melons at our farmers mkt so We hope to do well this year I will let you know how it turns out. by the way at the farm I told you about they rent bees and they said to pollinate a melon a bee hast to walk across it four times that is the incentive that got me into bees. and I will also be selling honey if I ever get to the point that I don't eat it all. I will let you know how it goes later this summer

Violacea:
MmMMm, I love growing melons.  Mainly because I enjoy eating them.   :D  Do you grow your melons vertically? or just let them go along the ground?  
Have fun.  8)

Horns Pure Honey:
I dont have the soil for melons.

Beth Kirkley:
We're trying cantelope for the first time in our hydroponics this year. :) Hope your garden does well Bill.

Beth

bill:
This is my first year with a lot of melons. the guy I was talking about sold them to me wholesale last year so I am jumping in headfirst. The best thing is no weeds. when I start picking and selling I always get covered up with weeds so this is going to be better.
I just let them lay on the ground because there are so many, but I cage my tomatoes so they dont touch the ground

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version