Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Keeping bees in 5 frame nuc.  (Read 5612 times)

Offline moebees

• House Bee
Re: Keeping bees in 5 frame nuc.
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2018, 08:52:56 pm »
The Palmer/webster (and neither of them invented it) is a system for overwintering nucs.  Not a system to replace 10 frame hives.

Moe. I think you are right about the Nuc boxes being a 5 frame situtation and are primarily used for that purpose. But I havnt heard or read much on 5 frames boxes being used as another way of building a complete hive.  I'm sure it's nothing new or a method that has just come around, but I am interested in the concept. Not to say I will switch to this method or not but I do enjoy "seeing" different Ideas that work .There are so many ways of doing things.  Some folks say one way, while others say another way is best. Different ways and ideas are very interesting to me. I am sure that there are pros and cons to  each method.  In my opinion it is good to share these ideas and give us new guys and gals different prospectives to contemplate.  Their is a fellow in, I'm thinking Virigina, that prefers a 7 frame box. He explains his reasoning behind his theory and is his outlook is very interesting also. I am thinking his name is Ralph Jones.

Yes Ralph Jones III.  He has many videos on youtube.  I agree with everything you said.  I just didn't want people that may not be familiar with the Palmer/Webster system to get the impression that it is a nuc system used for production hives because it is not.  It is a system for overwintering nucs in the north.  My understanding is that this thread is about using nuc size hives as the main hive for your system. 
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians  - Isabella Rosselini

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2018, 09:27:14 am »
The Palmer/webster (and neither of them invented it) is a system for overwintering nucs.  Not a system to replace 10 frame hives.

Moe. I think you are right about the Nuc boxes being a 5 frame situtation and are primarily used for that purpose. But I havnt heard or read much on 5 frames boxes being used as another way of building a complete hive.  I'm sure it's nothing new or a method that has just come around, but I am interested in the concept. Not to say I will switch to this method or not but I do enjoy "seeing" different Ideas that work .There are so many ways of doing things.  Some folks say one way, while others say another way is best. Different ways and ideas are very interesting to me. I am sure that there are pros and cons to  each method.  In my opinion it is good to share these ideas and give us new guys and gals different prospectives to contemplate.  Their is a fellow in, I'm thinking Virigina, that prefers a 7 frame box. He explains his reasoning behind his theory and is his outlook is very interesting also. I am thinking his name is Ralph Jones.

Yes Ralph Jones III.  He has many videos on youtube.  I agree with everything you said.  I just didn't want people that may not be familiar with the Palmer/Webster system to get the impression that it is a nuc system used for production hives because it is not.  It is a system for overwintering nucs in the north.  My understanding is that this thread is about using nuc size hives as the main hive for your system.

>He was shown the system by Kirk Webster and Palmer has not looked back since seeing the system. He runs a yard of 600 4x4 nucs alone. No it is not keeping in just 5 frame nucs but it shows how valuable the system can be. I will not go into details of the system as it is easy to find multiple presentation by Palmer on the 4x4 system. <

Ummm did someone say Palmer or Webster invented it ??? And did someone say it replaced a 10 frame system.... don't think so  :wink: Is the thread about keeping in just five framers... it is/was and that is why I quantified my response. Can it be done (keep in just fivers)... sure it can... bees will stay in a tree, in a stump, in a house eve, well you get the idea. So certainly they will stay in stacked nucs. Is it an effective way for the keeper... well that absolutely depends on the keepers needs. Weight lifting restriction/ mobility needs could be at the top of that list and come to mind.... just saying the bees could care less.....
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 09:42:17 am by sc-bee »
John 3:16

Offline moebees

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2018, 11:13:14 am »

>He was shown the system by Kirk Webster and Palmer has not looked back since seeing the system. He runs a yard of 600 4x4 nucs alone. No it is not keeping in just 5 frame nucs but it shows how valuable the system can be. I will not go into details of the system as it is easy to find multiple presentation by Palmer on the 4x4 system. <

Ummm did someone say Palmer or Webster invented it ??? And did someone say it replaced a 10 frame system.... don't think so  :wink: Is the thread about keeping in just five framers... it is/was and that is why I quantified my response. Can it be done (keep in just fivers)... sure it can... bees will stay in a tree, in a stump, in a house eve, well you get the idea. So certainly they will stay in stacked nucs. Is it an effective way for the keeper... well that absolutely depends on the keepers needs. Weight lifting restriction/ mobility needs could be at the top of that list and come to mind.... just saying the bees could care less.....

I give up.  I stated why I said what I said and it was with the best intentions to clarify the information in this thread.  I won't bother in the future Sc-bee.
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians  - Isabella Rosselini

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2018, 11:42:02 am »

I give up.  I stated why I said what I said and it was with the best intentions to clarify the information in this thread.  I won't bother in the future Sc-bee.

Agreed, as was my intention also --- no it is not a replacement...

I won't bother in the future Sc-bee.

It is a discussion forum but definitely your choice to make....  :wink:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2018, 11:35:28 pm »
@ Moe and sc_bee
I just got in from work and took a peek at the forum and read the previous two replys by you  fellows. I don't want there to be any confusion between you two or any of the rest of us. Flydown started this thread from a spin off of one of his previous  threads titled single brood box. In that heading bee pro had responded about his 5 frame experiment but gave the impression that he was using 3, 5 frame brood box system.  LJ reminded him that the thread was about a single brood box. And I ask beepro if he would start a new thread explaining the results of his experiment. Which he did under a different heading. And quite detailed I might add and very interimg to boot. The heading that he placed the new topic is under Rapid Beeyard Growth, a few columns down from general beekeeping, The heading we are under now. Flydown didn't know that beepro had or was soon to post this response topic and neither did I. Therefore, I am thinking that Flydown started this topic in the meantime in a kind act. And that is how we are where we are now. I have great respect for each of you and your opinions and hope this explanation will help y'all come to friendly terms.      Sincerely, Phillip Hall "Ben Framed"
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2018, 09:09:56 am »
No issue here, as far as I am concerned. I am here to just learn about bees.... but I cant answer for what is going on/ went on here: :wink:

https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=51380.0