Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Got a Call to do a cut out in a sofet today.  (Read 17717 times)

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Re: Got a Call to do a cut out in a sofet today.
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2008, 11:54:10 pm »
Do yall have to put the walls and ceilings back together in your cutouts, or do you leave this part for a carpenter?
your friend,
john

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2008, 11:55:26 pm »
Homeowner is responsible for all repairs.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2008, 11:58:23 pm »
Do yall have to put the walls and ceilings back together in your cutouts, or do you leave this part for a carpenter?
your friend,
john

I do most all repairs John.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2008, 12:15:23 am »
The owner of the house will repair. My hubby did the cuts. The nails were nailed in sideways at an angle and for the life of us we could not get them out. And we could not even see where the nails were to even try to figure out where the boards were. We pried up the trim and all we could see was comb. I even had to go up into the attic as we herd bees the second day. It was just a very small cluster though. And no queen in there. Went out and looked at the hive today did not open them up but they are coming and going like gang busters. I will pick a day in a few days to go in and check on them and see if I can move out empty comb that had brood hatching and replace it with foundation. I am also going to look for the queen. There was eggs in that mess I put back so hopefully if not they will just make one.  If not I will see if anyone has one for sale now. If not hopefully they can wait till the 30th when I go and pick up my packages. As he sales queens as well. When I did open up the hive the next day they had already started repairs and building bridge comb and had tons of bees in there. So I am hopeful. They looked like they had been there longer for a year though. They were also a ton of uncapped necter in the hive.   I am not sure where they were getting it but they had allot. Depending on how they look I might give them the 3rd box. Becuase that other comb was a mess and I want to replace it as soon as I can it is so unstable and twisted in those frames.

Angi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2008, 12:21:13 am »
Angi, that hive looks like its pushing 2- 2 and a 1/2 yrs being there to me. Great job with the removal! Thanks for the pics. You must be salivating for the next one huh?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2008, 02:03:36 am »
well went out and opend the girls up to take a look. Still lots of drones in there. They are filling up empty holes with nector and syrup. They are eating on the pollen patty I placed in there and they are bringing in pollen as well. They have fastened down all of the comb to the frames and were building little comb to add nector to. I noticed they had little place for the queen to lay but saw what looked like fresh eggs. Still did not see the queen. Hoping to mark her if I do. I took 2 frames of hatching brood out of the bottom box and placed them in the new box and added 2 frames of foundation in the middle. I also took one frame of hatching brood out of the second box and placed it in the middle next to the other two on the top. And placed a frame of empty foundation in there as well. In the top box are the 3 frames of hatching brood some almost all the way out. They are in the middle of the box. And the rest is foundation.  All looked well. I removed some bridge comb and there is still only 9 frames in there as the way the comb was twisted I could not fit the other one in there. the top box has 10 in it though. I am hoping to slowly get them out of the comb and rubber bands and into foundation for them to draw out. So far all is well with them. I would have been happy to see the queen. BUt feel better now that they will have a little room to draw out and allow the queen more room to lay.

Angi

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2008, 11:26:15 am »
people will disagree no doubt, but i think marking the queen is over-rated.  you either have a good queen or you don't and marking makes no difference.  i can see where a queen breeder or someone selling bees might want them marked, but for the backyard beekeeper, i just don't see that the value outweighs the risk.

that was a really nice piece of work you did, and ambitious for your first go.  you should be proud of yourself!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2008, 11:32:19 am »
people will disagree no doubt, but i think marking the queen is over-rated.  you either have a good queen or you don't and marking makes no difference.  i can see where a queen breeder or someone selling bees might want them marked, but for the backyard beekeeper, i just don't see that the value outweighs the risk.

that was a really nice piece of work you did, and ambitious for your first go.  you should be proud of yourself!

Where's the fun in finding the queen everytime you go in? I don't mark.

...JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2008, 09:20:47 am »
I don't know, I am seriously considering marking all my queens.  I think that there are many times when I go into the colonies that I need to find the queen quickly so I know where she is that I don't harm her.  Quite often when I am doing manipulations within the colony when I find the frame that the queen is on, I place that frame with her on it into a safe place, like a nuc that I keep nearby.  So my thoughts on queen marking are heading more toward being an important part of keeping this most important part of the colony safe and sound. Have a beautifully great and wonderful day, love this great planet we all share.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2008, 09:43:53 am »
people will disagree no doubt, but i think marking the queen is over-rated.  you either have a good queen or you don't and marking makes no difference.

Your right, it is a personal preference. 

But after getting burnt a few times by failing supercedure queen in the late Fall (seems like that is when they like to fail) when no quality replacement queens where available,  I now take quite comfort in knowing my quality raised and mated queen is still heading up my colonies going into the winter.

Some people swear by supercedure queens too,  but I'm not one of those either.   If the mother doesn't muster up to what the bees want,  what are the chances that her offspring will.   

Queen issues always come at the most inconvenient/challenging times and usually cause set back in a hive.  Just the headaches I've eliminated dealing with that is worth it to me.   Never under estimate the value of a well raised and mated queen.  Since I've started managing my queens,  I have never looked back.

I think we can all agree though that the strength and vigor of a hive is directly related to the  queen,  so why would your want to role the dice and risk the whole hive on an unknown queen.

, i just don't see that the value outweighs the risk.
risks?
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2008, 08:41:16 pm »
I've heard more than a few experienced beeks say the marked queens are more often superseded than unmarked.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2008, 08:45:39 pm »
I've heard more than a few experienced beeks say the marked queens are more often superseded than unmarked.
I don't think that happens much just because of marking. I've never had that problem even when marking them myself. If they are damaged trying to mark them then that may happen.

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2008, 10:53:15 pm »
Awesome cut out and great photos !

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2008, 11:59:34 pm »
Thanks Steve. Where is Colbert Ok? My dad lives in Broken Arrow OK.

Angi

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2008, 12:20:30 am »
the risk of harming the queen while trying to catch/mark her, especially when you don't have much experience and don't have extra frames of eggs about.  marking is fine.  maybe even educational.  probably helps when you have a lot of hives to keep track of.  just not a must in hobby beekeeping i don't think.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2008, 12:35:36 am »
Kathy, I agree with you about harming the queen if one doesn't have experience in catching/handling bees.  When I took one of the courses at the Honeybee Centre in Surrey, one part of the course was about marking the queens.  We practised on drones, really not that hard.  I have caught so many honeybees during the past couple of years using them for apitherapy on my family members, that I feel quite confident about catching and marking a queen.  I also have the luxury of having quite small fingers so it is even more simple.  Being such a freak about weeds in my gardens, and having sowed millions of tiny seeds throughout my horticultural background as well, I have become extremely adept at minuscule (how the heck do you spell that darn word anyways? hee, hee) motions with my fingertips.  I don't think that I would harm any queens.  So, to that end, I think I will be OK.  If I do harm a queen, then I will just have to suck that up as another lesson learned and be even more careful.  Beautiful day in this beautiful life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2008, 11:15:09 pm »
Hi Angi_h

We are just north of denison and Sherman Texas not far from Durant oklahoma.

Offline Scott Derrick

• Expert Bee Handler
  • New Bee
  • Go Gamecocks!!
    • Honeybee Removal Expert Serving South Carolina, Charlotte NC and Augusta GA
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2008, 10:24:28 pm »
Angie,

Love the pictures! Thanks so very much for taking the time to let us peer into your world. Removals are very exciting and tiring at the same time. I really enjoy them but I HATE being up high on ladders. I'm not good with heights.

Cheers!
My Bee Removal Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/109455718186385256142
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rsderrick

"You're born. You suffer. You die. Fortunately, there's a loophole."
                                              Billy Graham

Offline BuzzaShuck

• Brood
  • 3000 year old bee hive found in Israel
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2008, 04:56:07 pm »
Angie,

I can fully relate to those large removals.  Especially those that have been established for several years.  They are a tremendous amount of work and I must say you have presented a Job well done here.  One needs to be a carpentry too.  And understand the inner structure of how houses are joined together inside and out.

I have removed several like this.   Got one coming up in the next few days that is a pretty large swarm that has settled in a high school baseball pressbox.  They are entering just underneith the right hand bottom corner of the second story door frame.  From there they are entering into the floor joint.  I am sure they are in the wall also on the 1st level that is a snack bar.   The bees have been there at least for 3 years.  The bees are playing beesball too.
They seem to be fitting right in with the oncoming baseball season.

Angie have you ever used a bee vacuum ?   They are very helpful sometimes when you have a hard time finding the queen. But, in all cases try to find the queen.  But , the bee vacuum saves alot of time.  Just besure those bees are getting enough air and the pressure of the suction is balanced out.

I am down south, and this year has been a terrific year for swarms.
Big swarms too.. Love the bees....what a blessing.  Just wish more folks would take a good look at this marvel of God's creation.

No Bees, No large crops, food will dwindle along with an already failing eco-system.   Would you believe that in China they have begun pollination by human hand in places that honeybees no longer exist?  Food could get very expensive.  And with the economy dipping....Hang in there folks.. 

Have you hugged your bees today?
Love to share swarm catching tales.Like finding those queens in established swarms in houses that have been there for at least two years or more.

Blessings In Christ Love to you,

Buzza Shuck

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2008, 01:40:50 pm »
BuzzaShuck.  Welcome to our forum, you have found THE place to share experiences, and if you need to ask questions, we are but a keystroke away.  Sounds like you are going to have an interesting event occur with the bees in the baseball press box.  When you have completed the task, don't forget to tell us about the experience, we are a curious (and nosey too, me that is) crew, and we love to hear (and if you get pictures, even better) and see what other beekeepers are up to.  Welcome again, enjoy your stay with us.  Have a wonderful, awesome day, love our life.  Cindi

anything