Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: There here  (Read 2957 times)

Offline crispy

• House Bee
There here
« on: September 06, 2020, 04:35:49 am »
Hi all well the day finally arrived yesterday when i went to collect my nuc , drove for about 2 hours to get there to the other side of town met the chap who runs barrosa honey and adelaide bee sales and had a quick soldiers 5 on what to do then the drive home . Finally arrived home around 7.30 after dropping a mate off and put out the nuc in the dark and opened the gate , wasnt sure if i had opened it enough as it was pitch black and could only go by feel .Anyway got up early and went to check see if there was any activity at the entrance  , none at all so i went and got suited up and with trusty hive tool went to have a look at the nuc .
The gate was open but maybe just not enough and i am so glad i suited up as when i put the hook into the gate to turn it a bit more madam bee came out and smack straight into my veil ,i think if i had not been wearing it it could have been somewhat painfull intro ,so go have some breakfast and do another check and yep there are bees everywhere did a couple of more checks through the day really just having a peak as i wasnt suited up and they are working , there must be some resources about as you would see some going one way and others going another way and some who were just getting used to where they are doing short flights and going back to the nuc .
I have to say after all the reading and watching videos from experienced keepers i am glad that my bees are here finally ,will probably do the transfer on thursday depending on the weather conditions must admit pretty happy today .   

Offline Garigal

• House Bee
Re: There here
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 08:32:30 am »
Congratulations hope you enjoy beeing a beekeeper  :happy:

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 05:55:48 pm »
Great Crispy....have fun!

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 02:54:16 am »
Thanks guys ,i have a question when i got home tonight i took a peak to make sure the hive hadnt blown away in the winds anyway away from the entrance probably 2 inches or more  there were a number of bees just standing there facing toward the entrance any ideas ?

Offline Biggles

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 03:47:31 am »
Well done Crispy.

A couple of bees out the front are probably house bees.  No problems there.

You might consider feeding 1:1 sugar when transferred to the bigger box.  A bit of pollen powder wouldn't go astray either.  That will give them a head start, early in Spring.

Mark.

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 03:48:44 am »
They will be doing orientation flights, so there will be bees out the front fanning pheromones to help the girls find their way home.

Sometimes bees just hang around out the front too.

You will get used to what they are doing over time. The hardest thing is not going in there too often when you first start out.

I take it they up on a stand?

Offline Garigal

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 05:20:15 am »
Thanks guys ,i have a question when i got home tonight i took a peak to make sure the hive hadnt blown away in the winds anyway away from the entrance probably 2 inches or more  there were a number of bees just standing there facing toward the entrance any ideas ?

It was a pretty hot one in Adelaide today wasn't it? Were they fanning their wings?

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 06:23:48 am »
Thanks guys for the replies my nuc is raised of the ground and on a pallet ill try to post a photo ,i was advised by the bee keeper to feed them sugar syrup for at least 4 weeks changing it twice a week .Im glad it was nothing to worry about as even though i have read books and watched a lot of videos it really is all new to me . Anyway here (i hope ) are some photos .

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 06:25:05 am »
And another

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 06:26:10 am »
And one more

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 06:27:02 am »
Woops forgot to chose the file

Online Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2020, 08:18:42 am »

will probably do the transfer on thursday depending on the weather conditions must admit pretty happy today .
Congratulations.  I wouldn't wait that long.  It gets dark at 7:30?  If it is hot I would get them out of that box asap.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 09:53:08 am »
Thanks acebird ,today was just a one of day tommorow it will only be 18 degrees just had a blast of heat today and strong winds .

Offline Ralphee

• House Bee
  • All the Gear, and no idea!
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2020, 03:01:58 am »
That's a very neat looking pallet! (all i ever find are busted up ones or Chep/Loscam which people get upset if they go missing...)

Enjoy and take your time, i often find myself just walking past to see what they are up too, it really is mesmerizing to just watch them flying about, I can stand there and watch them quite happily.

Do you have a mentor or someone giving you direct advice? I know the person i bought my first bee's off probably got sick of talking to me after about a month, but even after reading and watching YouTube i had a bunch of questions - nothing beats experience in my opinion.

I recently split a hive (still waiting to see if i did it right - the bee's will let me know) and i am currently using a third of a pallet as a base, but i will make a stand for them soon, but i like your pallet much better!

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2020, 03:00:44 am »
Hi ralphee yea that was just a random pallet not chep or loscam but it looked like it was made from hardwood so i grabbed it ,give it a lick of paint and hey presto i sunk some besser blocks into the ground and leveled it all up and just wacked the pallet on top . i don't have a mentor as such but there is a month support from the breeder i would ask here if i had any problems as this sight is a world of info from across the globe .I do that myself now just crack open the gate a bit and have a peak at what they are up to , had to change my sugar syrup today as i lifted up the ceracell feeder i tilted it and the centre cap came off and it was full of bees that was fun , anyway got new syrup in no problems the bees are very calm really even with me bumbling around they aren't smashing my veil or anything just flying about saying WHAT ARE YOU DOING ! after about 15 mins they are back to normal i did notice that they are drawing out two new frames with the syrup when i went looking for eggs and larvea but alas not a sign which is why i must return them and get a nuc with a laying queen in it ,oh well smell like smokey the bear at the moment so of to have a shower .

anything