Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: beekeeping in other countries  (Read 4398 times)

Offline crispy

• House Bee
beekeeping in other countries
« on: January 21, 2020, 07:44:53 pm »
Hi all well i was over in thailand last october /november and whilst on a two day trip with the family we went to a local market , and whilst walking through i spied with my beedie eye something that looked like honey .So being a nosey i wandered over to this stall and sure enough it was . Now here in aus they sell it in plastic containers or fancy glass jars but at these markets they sell the honey in what looks like a rum bottle , i was going to buy some just for a taste but the wife advised me what would she do with it when i returned home so that put a stop to that very cheap compared to western prices for a bottle . I ended up buying a small very expensive jar from tesco/lotus in bangkok i do have some photos but cant post them as they say they are to big anyway , also i watch a chap on you tube called kmere beekeeping from cambodia there hives are different to ours as they only use 1 super so you have brood mixed up with the honey and from what i have seen the honey is not a great haul .

It is amazing as this guy does not or very rarely wears a suit he has a range of videos on the way they do things where he lives and i found them quite interesting , these people are not rich or have a lot of recources at there disposal like we do ,i watched him harvesting larvea to make queens he makes the whole lot himself then grafts the larvea and strangely enough gets good results the way i look at his videos is grass roots bee keeping i think the fanciest machine he has is a 2 frame manual extractor anyway if your interested pop over and have a look at his sight i find it interesting to watch . 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 01:13:48 pm by sawdstmakr »

Offline crispy

• House Bee
Re: beekeeping in other countries
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 09:39:44 pm »
Just thought i would add this to the post now i know how to reduce jpeg sizes ,this is how honey is sold at local markets in thailand around kanchanaburi regeon not in plastic but recyclable glass bottles if you return the bottles yu would get a discount no doubt

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 01:05:15 pm »
I've seen honey in all sorts of jars and bottles over here. I like the look of bottles in the pic,
just might give them a try.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 01:36:26 pm »
I've seen honey in all sorts of jars and bottles over here. I like the look of bottles in the pic,
There is a bee supply place pretty close to me that sells honey in wine bottles.  We have one that we never open, because it's just too pretty.

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 11:53:01 pm »
Awsome going to look for some wine bottles.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 08:08:08 am »
My fermented honey goes in a vermouth bottle.  Does that count?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 09:12:16 am »
There is a bee supply place pretty close to me that sells honey in wine bottles.  We have one that we never open, because it's just too pretty.

Member what was the price?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 06:23:04 pm »
Someone from Australia mailed me some honey in a high end whiskey bottle...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 02:03:13 pm »
[..]  also i watch a chap on you tube called kmere beekeeping from cambodia there hives are different to ours as they only use 1 super so you have brood mixed up with the honey and from what i have seen the honey is not a great haul .

It is amazing as this guy does not or very rarely wears a suit he has a range of videos on the way they do things where he lives and i found them quite interesting , these people are not rich or have a lot of recources at there disposal like we do ,i watched him harvesting larvea to make queens he makes the whole lot himself then grafts the larvea and strangely enough gets good results the way i look at his videos is grass roots bee keeping ...

I agree - that guy's videos are great to watch. He runs Cerana of course, so conditions are somewhat different for him - for example, his hives appear to be almost propolis-free.
He makes a lot of beekeeping kit himself - queen cages made from fine wire mesh and plastic soda bottles, hive body clips made from old bicycle-wheel spokes. He's hugely inventive.
His videos are well-worth a looksee:
Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCowxdVu7eEsI5wcxEQvDGZA
The bicycle-spoke video is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTLTynf1ILM

'best
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 01:37:00 am »
Yes little john this is really bare basic bee keeping he had a video out where his hives were flooded low land or a river near by when it rains over there it really rains ,i enjoy watching his videos even though i dont speak kmere i can get the jist of it i laughed when he tried to cure his father inlaws back ache with bee stings .

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 04:16:30 am »
I used to volunteer regularly in Cambodia ( pre C-19) and have visited the country more than 30 times.

Beekeeping is very different there with Asian bees which swarm many times a year.

Most of the honey is wild harvested  - the right way is to cut the lower part of the comb off - full of honey. Honey sells for a small fortune - up to $ 30 US/litre!!

Unfortunately  for the bees, Cambodians also eat larvae and often will take the lot - all gone.

I have taken small supers with me but it is not easy to keep a hive in a box.

Beekeeping in Vietnam is similar but beekeeprs keep the bees in singles and harvest honey often.

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2020, 04:22:10 am »
An ex army mate who lives in thailand found a swarm in his out door dunny (not used anymore) ,so i told him to get a beekeeper to make a hive and move it which he did and now he is a bee keeper with his wife ,they also farm cocoa and are dong a roaring trade .
Ill contact him to ask how they are doing, he did send me some photos of his new hive a few months ago .

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2020, 08:22:48 am »
Yes little john this is really bare basic bee keeping he had a video out where his hives were flooded low land or a river near by when it rains over there it really rains ,i enjoy watching his videos even though i dont speak kmere i can get the jist of it i laughed when he tried to cure his father inlaws back ache with bee stings .
Christy,
My son is in pain most of the time. He used to beg for a bee sting. Still does sometimes. When we first started doing it, he would get 24 hours pain free, starting five minutes after the sting. He usually wanted the sting in his back.
It was very helpful.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2020, 07:10:33 pm »
Well i didnt know that jim i thought it was just some remedy the cambodians had thought up goes to show you learn something new every day .

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2020, 07:14:37 pm »

Member what was the price?
So sorry, Phillip, I totally forgot about this thread.  I think it was about $15. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.