MEMBER & GUEST INTERACTION SECTION > THE SPORTS BAR

Who's watching Dakar?

<< < (3/3)

BlueBee:
OK, let me get out my rule for any misbehaving students. :-D

1.  CAFÉ means Corporate AVERAGE Fuel Economy.  The automakers can still meet these requirements and sell behemoths like the Hummer IF they sell enough of the small cars and Chevy Volts.  This is the way it has always worked.  They get a lot of credits for fleets of R&D vehicles like electric cars, fuel cell cars, H2 cars, etc.  Like most things governments, there are always ways of bending the rules if they need to be bent.

2.  The Allante was not fiberglass.  It was aluminum and steel.  And the bodies coming into Detroit were crap!  They had to beat on them with hammers to get the doors to fit!

3.  No your physics are wrong.  You can substantially improve the efficiency of a vehicle’s engines to increase the CAFÉ along with the things you noted (smaller, lighter, underpowered).  Idling engines are 0% efficient.  Spark engines at city speeds are maybe 15% efficient.  You lose substantial efficiency at part throttle operation due to pumping losses.  A diesel and a hybrid can improve CAFÉ without inventing new Physics.  Transmissions with more gears also improve efficiency.  Still to get to Obama’s numbers, there is no doubt cars and trucks will have to get a lot smaller.  LOL..the 2025 F150 might be the size of a Smart Car!

4.  General Motors and Chrysler is not run by the Mafia and are subject to the same (if not MORE) rules than Ford and other automakers.

5.  LOL.  You do seriously believe the UAW wants cap and trade!

6.  With regards to Sampson.  Maybe it’s time for some beeks to get a haircut. :)

Class Dismissed!

kingbee:
No the UAW doesn’t want Cap & Trade any more than they want VW or Kia supplying the next Presidential Limo.  But there are many backroom deals that get cut in smoke filled rooms like the one I laid out concerning JFK and the steel industry.  What under the table deal would it take for the UAW or even the Church for that matter to sell out for a pound of flesh.

As for Government Motors bodies fitting Government Motors chassis, I have a vast collection of true first person horror stories that would keep anyone from buying Government Motors (or any other UAW iron) if they knew the truth.  Then there are the people who build the cars and some of the things that these people did to deliberately sabotage cars at the factory.  I even saw one car that was shipped without brakes, and many with inch wide gaps between doors and lock pillows,  doors and rocker panels, or doors and roofs.  One of the benefits of robotics is that machines don't get mad at the foremen, come to work hung over, or deliberately try to slow down production to suck a few hours of overtime out of the system around Christmas time. 

As for CAFE, Mercedes Benz don't worry about no stinking fine for violating CAFE.  Mercedes just adds the CAFE fine to the price of each car built then marks the price it up by 10K.  It is the American motoring public who gets stuck paying the tab for Al Gore’s Green fairy tail.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version