Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Poison Ivy.  (Read 10477 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Poison Ivy.
« on: April 25, 2016, 12:53:18 pm »
I am really allergic to Poison Ivy. When I was young, every year I ended up with a bad case of it so I am always on the look out for it. When I first bought my farm I noticed there were very few places that it grew. The previous owner had had cows but it had been 3 years from the time he had them last and when we had them. I noticed it was harder and harder to find it. Now the only place poison ivy grows on my farm is where the cows are fence from getting it. They must eat it it every time they find it. This is something that I have never heard before.
Has anyone else heard of this?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
Re: Poison Ivy.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 04:42:47 pm »
I've never seen a cow eat it. If PI tries to grow where they walk they'll trample it.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 02:00:57 am »
The deer on my property seem to like it a lot. I see them go to PI patches and eat. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 12:57:28 pm »
I have a tree next to my new house that has a large vine going up the tree. Around the tree are tiny PI leaves just starting to grow. The cows must have been keeping them picked until I put in a new fence this winter. I have sprayed the leaves and cut the vine.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline droopy

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 07:34:03 am »
also just in case you miss any I would grab some jewel weed chop it up make a tea with it and then freeze the tea in ice cube trays. then you will always have a quick cure for anything that bites stings or itches

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 12:16:08 pm »
Droopy,
Welcome to Beemaster.
What does Jewel Weed look like.
I have no idea where I got it from, probably from thinking about it when I wrote this thread, but my right arm is driving me nuts due to a poison ivy rash.  :angry:
I didn't even go in the woods this past weekend. I must have touched something that had the oil on it.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 01:06:14 pm »
Droopy,
Welcome to Beemaster.
What does Jewel Weed look like.
I have no idea where I got it from, probably from thinking about it when I wrote this thread, but my right arm is driving me nuts due to a poison ivy rash.  :angry:
I didn't even go in the woods this past weekend. I must have touched something that had the oil on it.
Jim

Sorry, didn't realize you have it right now... Try plantain... Plantain is far more common, you probably have some in your yard. Do a google image search on the following 4 species of plantain? Plantago major, Plantago lanceolata, Plantago virginica or Plantago rugelii. Plantago lanceolata or Lanceleaf plantain is the easiest to identify and find.

I always use plantain for PI. I think it works better than jewel weed. Jewelweed can cause chemical like burns on some folks, they have a reaction to it. Plantain is always safe. The seed of one species of plantain is used to make ?Metamucil? lol.  :grin:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 01:13:55 pm »
I have been using Vagisil, Per KathyP's recommendations. I forgot to bring it with me yesterday and it started getting out of hand. It definitely seems to help reduce the blisters.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 01:18:27 pm »
This is lanceleaf plantain...

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 01:22:39 pm »
This is virginia plantain

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 01:22:55 pm »
Thanks Peanut.
Is that seed pod from that plant? I do not think that i have any around here. I will have  to look.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 01:25:17 pm »
Yep the lanceleaf seed stalk is about a foot tall. the seed head is sort of triangle shaped...

I made plantain tincture last fall? I use it all the time, even today. It speeds the healing of cuts, scrapes, major surgery, any kind of insect bite, it?ll pull out the venom. I healed up a brown recluse spider bite with Virginia plantain 4 years ago. And it works on PI.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 02:44:36 pm »
As a kid in PA, we used to take the seed stem, wrap it around the base of the pod and and pull it and the seed pod would shoot out.
I will have to look for it.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 05:57:38 pm »
As a kid in PA, we used to take the seed stem, wrap it around the base of the pod and and pull it and the seed pod would shoot out.
I will have to look for it.
Jim
Yup. Poor mans cops and robbers with those.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 09:54:57 am »
This is the kind I see around here:
http://www.bushfarms.com/images/Plantain.jpg
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 03:05:50 pm »
Plantain - The Indians use to call it "White man's footsteps" The early settlers would plant the seed any and every where. It's also edible (the kind I'm use to). Boil it, pour the water out, then boil again.

Jim: you tube "The southern herbalist" (Darryl Patton) He recommends eating a very small piece of the leave from a poison ivy plant. You do this by taking a slice of litebread grabbing the leave, tearing it, wrapping it up with the bread, then get a glass of water and swallow it whole. He demonstrates this on the video.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 04:21:55 pm »
GSF,
I'm in the Dr waiting room now. The rash is out of control.
The thought of eating PI scares the hell out of me.  :shocked:
I will check out the site later.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline droopy

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 07:08:30 pm »
i'm not very good at describing things so perhaps google would be of more help. maybe jewelweed is more prevelant up here in the northeast as its everywhere.grows to about 4 feet with a small orange flower at the top and a hollow stalk that oozes milk if squeezed

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 09:21:19 pm »
i'm not very good at describing things so perhaps google would be of more help. maybe jewelweed is more prevelant up here in the northeast as its everywhere.grows to about 4 feet with a small orange flower at the top and a hollow stalk that oozes milk if squeezed

droopy, jewelweed is common near water in the south. just not as common as plantain, it grows everywhere.  :smile:

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 09:52:04 pm »
If you get into poison ivy, wash it with Dawn and as hot water as you can tolerate. Works like a charm.

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2016, 12:28:12 am »
I used to be very sensitive to Poison Ivy. Used to have to get shots almost every summer as it would cover most of my body. I started raising dairy goats about 30 years ago and they love PI. Within a year of drinking the milk daily I stopped being affected by it. Keeping goats strictly because of Poison Ivy is rather drastic but if you know someone selling the raw milk and the goats have access to wild forage you might give it a try.
Neill

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2016, 02:09:56 am »
I used to be very sensitive to Poison Ivy. Used to have to get shots almost every summer as it would cover most of my body. I started raising dairy goats about 30 years ago and they love PI. Within a year of drinking the milk daily I stopped being affected by it. Keeping goats strictly because of Poison Ivy is rather drastic but if you know someone selling the raw milk and the goats have access to wild forage you might give it a try.

I like this, a different way of ingesting PI to produce immunity. Same as eating a early tender leaf the way Darryl teaches. I've seen him do it. I have no problem with PI, get bitten by brown recluse spiders more often, lol. I avoid PI religiously but am around it all the time here on the farm. I am aware of it and avoid it, if cutting something with the chainsaw that has a PI vine I use the top of the bar to throw the chips away from me instead of on my pants leg.  :smile:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2016, 12:42:59 pm »
Peanut,
I like that idea. It is a shame that I cannot milk my cows. They would kick me to death if I tried. :angry:
I will have to check with goat raisers to see if any of them milk their goats and where they graze.
I may even get some goats. My wife would love. The only reason we do not have them is goats are a pain to keep them from getting their head stuck in the field fence.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2016, 01:38:08 pm »
I use to take a stick and duct tape it to the horns straight across. After a while they'll quit or once it comes off the horns will be too big to get through.

Jim; Old folks use to say; "A goat ain't nothing but an animal looking for a place to die." After my first year or so with goats I knew exactly what they were talking about. I didn't really lose any but I was all the time out there treating someone.

There ain't no cuter or funnier animal than a baby goat.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2016, 01:42:58 pm »
Thanks Gary.  :happy:
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2016, 06:34:29 am »
Update.
Someone recommend taking Zertec allergy tablets. I thought it was someone on this site but I do not see it in this thread. My wile bought a Publics brand bottle of it. I took one tablet the first day and got relief in less than an hour. After 2 days I was able to stop using any creams. The only down side is that it makes me sleepy and every time I stop taking it the poison Ivy breaks out again.
I didn't take I Friday and by mid morning Saturday 3 areas were itching and getting red bumps.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 09:48:06 pm »
I have heard of the milk thing before. But on a side note someone told me they saw poison ivy honey. Anyone heard of such a thing?

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2016, 12:25:28 am »
I got Into a patch about three weeks ago. it tore me up. I got some pi spray at Walmart that finally stopped it. never used the plantain. have it all round here. now to start collecting smoothing else. pi  gets me every year on the arms.

john

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2016, 12:52:47 am »
Today is the first day that I did not take Zertec to control the itch and the PI has not flaired up. Yea, about time. If you have not tried Zertec for PI, I recommend you try it. It is amazing.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2016, 08:08:25 am »
I am fortunate not to get it. Back in my school days I had a classmate who would get it all over his nose and mouth area every year just from breathing it in apparently.  That must have sucked. 

Offline TALittle

• New Bee
  • I'm simply saying that life finds a way.
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2016, 06:16:55 pm »
I have heard of the milk thing before. But on a side note someone told me they saw poison ivy honey. Anyone heard of such a thing?

I have, seems bees love PI and collect from it.

Personally I have never been effected by PI. I tend to select trees with PI on and around them as good places to put my game cameras. Deer come right up to them, but it keeps the two legged varmint away from them.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2016, 10:43:21 pm »
Jim you may also want to try Pepcid and or Claritin. Like you I get sleepy , but Pepcid is a h2 blocker and helps with allergic reaction.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2016, 07:00:03 am »
Thanks JT. I will have to keep that in mind.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2016, 10:54:35 pm »
In the old days it was calamine lotion.  I have used a lot in my youth and back then it didn't seem to help much.  I know what you are going through.  Kock on wood, somewhere along the line I must have built up an immunity.  Haven't had it in some years and hope that is how it goes for you at some point.
Good luck
gww

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2016, 01:37:33 pm »
>In the old days it was calamine lotion.

The problem with that was it didn't work.  It did not remove the itch, the swelling the blisters nor did it keep it from spreading.  It was, in a word "worthless".
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2016, 07:51:52 pm »
Michael,
My sediment exactly.

Thanks Gww, I wish I grew to not be alergic to it.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline olehunter

• New Bee
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2017, 10:46:05 am »
i didn't see this suggestion . get a shot . my phesant hunting friend used to get one every year . the dr's can fix this . :smile:
to stand silent and be considered a fool or to speak and remove all doubt

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2017, 12:50:35 am »
If you get into it you gotta wash with dawn and hot water and get the oils off asap.

Growing up i could roll in the crap snd not be effected.  Now days if i touch it its horrible...  i had it on my feet last time, then wearing socks and sweating spread it to my ankles and lower legs...  talk about misrible...  i had to call in sick to work because i couldnt wesr socks and shoes or itd spread more..

Offline olehunter

• New Bee
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2017, 09:49:00 am »
well spring is coming and poison ivy season soon to follow my hunting and fishing buddy used to get a shot from the dr. every spring to prevent it . being he was a barber he said he couldn't afford to have an ugly rash . :smile:
to stand silent and be considered a fool or to speak and remove all doubt

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2017, 12:39:33 pm »
I have seen a video that stresses if you do get into it you need to scrub it off with a wash cloth of brush because it takes a lot to get the oil off your skin.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2017, 01:57:58 pm »
A friend of mine took the advice of a very old herbalist. When the new leaves first started coming on the vines he took a small piece 1/4x1/4?, put it on some light bread, folded the bread to make an encasement, then swallowed it. You got to be careful not to transfer any of the oil on you. He does that ever year and instead of getting shots he will just have a mild issue with it.

Next year save you some acorns in the freezer. When you have an outbreak crush them, chop them up in a blender to a powder, make a paste and apply it to the affected areas. This works to clear it up for most folks.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2017, 08:04:40 pm »
GSF,
Does it matter what type of acorns?
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2017, 08:36:37 am »
Red oak is more astringent, but either will do. If acorns aren't available then harvest about a cup full of the inner bark(cambium). Put it in a quart of water, simmer it down to about a pint or less. I went back and read some of the plantain info on the earlier post of this tread. Among numerous other things, plantain helps the skin to rejuvenate and heal better.

I'm attending a herbal school and the oak trees were one of the topics we discussed. If I get time I'll go back through my notes to see if there's anything else. I plan on making some salves this year with various plant material.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2017, 09:09:12 am »
Poison Ivy one of the worst plants in the world and I love most all plants.

anything