Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Under shed trap out help?  (Read 3061 times)

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
Under shed trap out help?
« on: January 23, 2020, 11:23:27 am »
My first cone assembly.
I stuffed insulation along the crack until the Coneboard blocks their main/only entrance
There is no inside the shed access. I put this up 2 days ago. I checked it yesterday and there wasn?t any activity due to sub 50 temperatures. Today 10am there is normal activity again. I cannot see them going back in the cone or point of entry. Will they adapt to the new entrance? What do I do then?
Can anyone see a weak point or poor execution?
Thanks
https://youtu.be/3BWWuK7WfmM
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Under shed trap out help?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 01:01:57 pm »
Salty, I have never conducted a trap out.  But what little knowledge I know is:  I thought the nuc entrance was supposed to be close, right next to the cone entrance, side by side.  In other words, the nuc, trap box,  entrance is close as possible to the original entrance.  The point being the bees will enter the nuc as is now the only available entrance due to the cone blocking the original entrance.

Like I said, I have never done before so consider.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 02:20:08 pm »
Salty - I learn something new every time I watch one of your videos. I've never tried a "trap out", but now I want too. Hope it works for you!
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 05:42:40 pm »
Mr. Cool, agreed, Salty post good videos as well as Father Michael.
Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 06:08:09 pm »
Very interesting. So the bees are under the house and you are removing them through a cone entrance (like a yellow jacket soda bottle trap) and hope to entice them into the Nuc. I assume you baited the nuc. Wow. Keep up this thread, Salty. I want to know how this goes.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 08:47:33 pm »
Salty,
I have completed a lot of Trapouts. As Van said, the idea is to have the Nuc as close to the original entrance as possible.
You are trying to coax the returning bees to the Nuc, not the bees exiting the cone. With it next to the tip of the comb or worse yet, touching it, they may find their way back in. Keep a close eye out all the way around the building. They may dig their way out or in.
I had bees crawling back in a 1/8? crack between cinder blocks. I have also had field bees feed nurse bees through number 8 wire cloth.
If the bees are well established and strong, expect this to last 3 weeks or more.
Good luck.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 09:05:57 pm »
Jim - heres a question: do you ever get the queen in a trapout?
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 09:07:22 pm »
Yes, the last three times that I did it I did catch the queens.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 09:15:19 pm »

Jim Altmiller

Thats pretty cool. I didn't know that could be done without a "tear-apart" to get her. Thanks for clarifying that.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 10:34:12 pm »
A cutout I did today - I was covered with bees -
https://youtu.be/4jECjJ7eDuY
It?s up to me

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 11:05:38 pm »
Totally cool, that?s looks like fun.  Did ya find the queen?  Da ya get the bees settled into a box?  Thanks again for the video Salty.
Blessings

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 12:00:34 am »
Salty, I developed the best, most used trapout method there is. Read all 5 links and watch the video.
Sawdstmaker was half right.   :cool: :cheesy:   Expect it to take a minimum of 6 weeks, up to 12 weeks. In southern Florida, SHB may destroy the original hive before the trap is complete, but you should still get a nuc for yourself.

Click the link.

https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=20301.0
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 08:37:05 am »
Jim Altmiller

By the way Jim, Thankyou for the response. The fella that has trapout videos makes it look too easy. He seems to be done in a day.
It?s up to me

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 08:39:24 am »
Totally cool, that?s looks like fun.  Did ya find the queen?  Da ya get the bees settled into a box?  Thanks again for the video Salty.
Blessings
Yes and she?s got a very yellow body! Thankyou
There were several clusters forming as the comb was falling off these boards so I found her in one of those. They are in a nuc to be added to my failing hive
It?s up to me

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2020, 09:23:57 am »
Salty, I developed the best, most used trapout method there is. Read all 5 links and watch the video.
Sawdstmaker was half right.   :cool: :cheesy:   Expect it to take a minimum of 6 weeks, up to 12 weeks. In southern Florida, SHB may destroy the original hive before the trap is complete, but you should still get a nuc for yourself.

Click the link.

https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=20301.0

Question- can I go add a brood frame days after trap is set? I didn?t have any when I first set up trap.
2 Q- how long does a brood frame stay viable once you remove it from an existing hive. Like in transit to the trapout?
It?s up to me

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2020, 10:48:19 am »
Yes, you can still add an ""EGG"" frame. Eggs will stay viable out of the hive much longer than larva. Larva and pupa should be safe for an hour or more in 75 plus degree weather. You can also leave the bees on the frame if you have a way to contain them during transport. They will not fight with the incoming bees.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2020, 05:22:18 pm »
ID: You can also leave the bees on the frame if you have a way to contain them during transport. They will not fight with the incoming bees.

Please state your opinions:

I can combine frames of bees from different hives without fighting as long as all frames are placed in a new hive empty body, usually a nuc.  The queen with her brood is also placed into the new box along with frames from other hives.  Your opinion/experience is sought.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2020, 05:31:51 pm »
My opinion only. No base for fact. Combine from 2 hives, have a fight. Combine from 3 or more hives into one, no fighting.  Again, opinion only.

Placing a frame of eggs into a trap with house bees attached is a different ball game totally. The returning foragers will be welcomed by the house bees.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 06:55:45 pm »
Thankyou
It?s up to me

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2020, 11:04:22 am »
Jim Altmiller
What happens?

Does the queen abscond from the original hive with the dwindling population of bees into the new box?
Tom

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2020, 02:06:40 pm »
Yes, when food and brood are gone, she leaves with the last remaining bees. Most times, she heads for parts unknown. Sometimes she lands nearby, sometimes she goes in the trap if there's not already a laying queen in it.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2020, 03:59:40 pm »
Yes, when food and brood are gone, she leaves with the last remaining bees. Most times, she heads for parts unknown. Sometimes she lands nearby, sometimes she goes in the trap if there's not already a laying queen in it.
Wouldn't it be almost impossible to have a laying queen without beekeeper intervention? Where would the queen cells be developed from?
If a queen was placed in the trap, would it be in a cage for a few days like any other introduction or put in without the cage?
Tom

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2020, 04:38:28 pm »
incognito, read replies 11 and 15.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2020, 05:24:31 pm »
incognito, read replies 11 and 15.
Got it.Thanks.
Tom