Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Smoker that smoked 8 hours.  (Read 4080 times)

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
Re: Smoker that smoked 8 hours.
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2019, 07:29:07 pm »
Van, I have a big yellow pine in my front yard, so for a couple years I used pine straw and/or cones.  It smoke pretty well, but burned hot, and the pine smoke was very irritating to me. A couple years ago I did some trimming on my apple tree and my flowering plum, and when the El Cheapo Harbor Freight chipper was done with the small branches it left a pile of chips about 3/8 - 1/2  inches apiece.   One day I decided to give those fruitwood chips a try, and I was impressed with the results.  It's a little hard to get started, but once gi=oing it is a sweet, pleasant smoke that I don't mind working with.  Burns a long time, too.

I was just gifted a smoker grill and I bought some applewood pellets.  I'm going to try your top down method on both the pellets and my homemade chips.  I also don't see any reason why those chips wouldn't work in the smoker mixed in with the pellets.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2019, 08:11:51 pm »
Hops, should work just fine, chips and pellets.  I wished I had the apple trees on my property to trim, but not really cold enough in Arkansas for good apples.

The Apple wood does not burn my eyes as other types of fuel.  Hops, as you already know, Apple is a sweet smoke that is pleasant to work with and great for creating smoked meats.
All Good Things
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2019, 12:15:49 pm »
I like apple as well. Use a lot of cherry when smoking meat as well

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2019, 01:07:10 pm »
My family has really gotten into smoking meat the past couple of years.  We North Carolinians love our pulled pork!   :happy:  We like to use half hickory and half apple wood for our pork.  I'm telling you, that is some of the best meat on the planet!   :grin:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2024, 02:53:56 pm »
In a post May 31 2019 I posted that I use coffee grounds to calm mean bees.  Mann Lake has "High Octane Coffee Chaff Smoker Fuel".  for $11.50 for two pounds. Their promotion says much of what I think, although not proven I think coffee grounds does a better job than Pine Tree needles in calming bees. I use needles to start and mix Pecan hulls and coffee together and it smells GOOD.
I also use pecan hulls to smoke meat.

Online max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2024, 06:24:34 pm »
In a post May 31 2019 I posted that I use coffee grounds to calm mean bees.  Mann Lake has "High Octane Coffee Chaff Smoker Fuel".  for $11.50 for two pounds. Their promotion says much of what I think, although not proven I think coffee grounds does a better job than Pine Tree needles in calming bees. I use needles to start and mix Pecan hulls and coffee together and it smells GOOD.
I also use pecan hulls to smoke meat.
Thanks for the Pecan suggestion, Paus.
Our Pecan harvest is about to start in about a months time and we have mountains of hulls . I will keep some.

Offline AustinB

• House Bee
  • Christian, father, outdoorsman
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2024, 02:35:22 pm »
I just pick up grass clippings after mowing and sit them out to dry and use that for fuel. It works very well, creates a cool white smoke, and burns for a long time.

That's my favorite fuel as well, works very well
The just man walketh in his integrity: his children are blessed after him.
Proverbs 20:7

Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proberbs 16:24