Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First removal(s) of 2016  (Read 2413 times)

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
First removal(s) of 2016
« on: January 08, 2016, 09:07:36 am »
Pulled a month old colony out of a Water Meter yesterday....and while doing it a car stopped to watch or to see what the other 10 people were standing around watching ...and I lined up a removal from an owl box on a tree 2 streets over....sometimes the job itself is the best advertisement.  :smile:
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: First removal(s) of 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 10:38:15 am »
I've not had folks watch cut outs but swarms, oh yeah.  Neighborhoods come out of the woodwork.  I ask if anyone knows where a hive in the neighborhood is.  Oddly, this has only worked once.  Sure enough there it was in a soffit under a 2nd story bay window.  Left my card, never heard back.

Working hives though, people will stop in the middle of the road to watch me.  I'm normally in a veil, shorts, work boots, and a T-shirt if the weather is decent.  I don't know if they're stopping to watch hives being worked, a beekeeper not suited up in the stereotypical gear, or both.  Either way it's the world best advertising for my bright yellow honor stand that's a mere few hundred yards away.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline superbee

• New Bee
    • Super Bee Rescue and Removal
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 02:22:24 pm »
I post a live bee removal sign at all my jobs.  I figure about 10% of my calls come from these signs.  I had a big removal from a city tree on a busy street and ended up with 3 additional removals in the neighborhood.  It also helps to leave a stack of card next to the sign for people to grab.

The lift is my plan to spend less time on ladders this year.

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 01:18:46 pm »
Nice Jeff! Sounds fun!

So as a newbee, I was thinking of going around telling people that I'll collect swarms. I'm not ready for cut outs. How would I best go about doing that? Should I get cards printed? I am planning on going to the fire depts. here in Whitehall and in Butte and letting them know and also but up some sign with rip-off numbers on local bulletin boards? What would you all suggest I do to get the word out? Cards would probably be best. But what would they say? lol I have one hive. I'm not exactly an apiary and have not thought of a proper name for when I do have one. lol Just my name, beekeeper, and live, free swarm removal...Please call ASAP lol ?
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline superbee

• New Bee
    • Super Bee Rescue and Removal
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 01:52:07 pm »
Here is a few places I list.
Craigslist, Facebook, Next-door(if used in your area), sign up for a google buissness local so you come up on searches, contact honey sellers at farmers markets, county ag department or vector control, local beekeeping clubs, pest control companies.

Buissness cards are great.  Even if you only want a few swarms I suggest getting out there as much as possible so that you can get the largest earliest and healthiest swarms.  Otherwise you may only get a few of the later swarms as people who did the above are found first.

If you are not ready for cut outs see if there is a professional locally that does them and you can refer calls to them.  Some will pay for the referral.  You may also want to ask if they would like help.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 01:58:33 pm »
Guessing at percentages, but I would say 80% of my calls come from pest control companies, 15% from ag ext. offices, and the other 5% from all other sources.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2016, 03:24:06 pm »
All great ideas! Thanks so much!
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 08:00:14 am »
You wont have one hive for long.....
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary