Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Birds and Bees, Sharp Eyes and Other Papers - John Burroughs  (Read 13907 times)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Birds and Bees, Sharp Eyes and Other Papers - John Burroughs
« on: March 09, 2007, 10:16:12 am »
Online copy available from Project Gutenberg
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/3163

I was fortunate (didn't know it at the time) at the age of 7 or so to assist my Dad in removing a swarm from "Slabsides"

I do recall seeing some pictures. I'll have to see if Mom can dig them out and I'll post them.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Birds and Bees, Sharp Eyes and Other Papers - John Burroughs
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 01:22:11 am »
Rob, I love black and white photography.  That is a very deeply intriguing picture.  Did your Mum find any other pictures, you said that you would ask her to look.

Don't understand "Slabsides", but I am going to look on the Gutenberg site.  Best of the day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 01:33:12 pm »
Did your Mum find any other pictures, you said that you would ask her to look.
Mom and Dad are just heading back from spending a few months in Florida,  but when they get back I'll ask.
Don't understand "Slabsides"

Slabsides is the name of the cabin (in the picture above) that Burroughs would retreat to to write.

Here is more info on it.
http://cityguide.pojonews.com/fe/Heritage/stories/he_slabsides.asp

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 12:07:35 am »
Rob, ooowya.  Horray!!!  Don't know how to put it to words, but it means, awesome and wonderful.  Best of this day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 12:59:09 pm »
Rob, did you get a chance to ask your Mum if she had any more pictures?  Best of this day, best of health, Cindi

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 09:18:12 pm »
Hey Cindi,

Bet you thought I forgot ;)  Well, finally found the picture.  It was taken in 1974 when I was 6.  It was inside slabsides and shows the hive my dad was using to remove the bees.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 12:49:34 pm »
Rob, oh you blow my mind!!!  I kid you not, yes, I had forgotten that I had forgotten that you had forgotten to get a picture from your Mum of that place, so long ago.....now, look at you, what a cute little boy, are you still that cute little dude?  I bet you are, but just a few years older  :-D ;) :) :) :)

Lovely picture Rob, look at the old furniture made of wood like that.  You are an amazing man, and I thought that you had forgotten to get the pic from that beautiful woman, your Mother.....Pictures like that make my heart swell.  It takes me back to a place in time where I spent alot of wonderful time.  On my Grandmother's farm, her house was built by my Grandfather, from the timber on their land, it was a log house, in the most basic form, built by this great man.  Newspaper was used for insulation between any cracks that may have shown through, it was a big house, one level, and the ability to remember this, that too makes my heart swell.  Have that beautiful day, the day of the celebration of Father's, one of the greatest days of the year, and smile, all day long.  Cindi