Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: COmb in the feeder?  (Read 2978 times)

Offline Aaron B

• New Bee
COmb in the feeder?
« on: May 10, 2006, 10:32:24 pm »
I searched my frames for eggs and thankfully there are some.But, they keep building comb in the feeder box? I am confused. I am scraping the comb of whenever I see it. Is there something I can do to stop this. There is alot of flowering, blueberries apple cherry huckleberry, can I remove the feeder? I appreciate any and all advice.
  Thanks ,
    Aaron B

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
COmb in the feeder?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 11:28:59 pm »
Where are you located?
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Comb in the feeder
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 06:01:50 am »
From the word box I assume you are using a miller type feeder.  Are your screens (ladders to the bees) in good shape?  Or are you using screens at all?  If they're getting into the feeder past the screens they'll build comb just like they do in any open space larger than a beeway.  If you're using a frame feeder (aka division board feeder) cut a peice of screen just smaller than the size of brood foundation and hang it inside the feeder.  I prefer to use clean 1 gallon paint cans for feeders.  They can be gotten at most paint stores and punching a few fine holes in the lid with a 7D nail lets the bees feed.  3 can be placed inside a deep super over the brood box.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
COmb in the feeder?
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 07:37:24 am »
>But, they keep building comb in the feeder box? I am confused.

Any space bigger then 3/8" will be filled with comb.  What are you confused about?

> I am scraping the comb of whenever I see it.

And they will simply build it again as long as they have access to space bigger than 3/8".

> Is there something I can do to stop this.

Limit the access.  If we are talking about a frame feeder, they probably jsut want a ladder.

You can rework it to look like this:

http://www.beeequipment.com/products.asp?pcode=710

It has limited access and a screen ladder going down into the feeder.

Or if it's a miller you can rework it with a screen that only gives the bees access to the syrup.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin