Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I have some strange looking honey  (Read 9158 times)

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
  • Still Proud. Retired, Michigan State Police
I have some strange looking honey
« on: April 01, 2019, 05:42:38 pm »
( I'll try to post a picture)
Last year I closed my hives and left just About all the frames of honey for the bees over the winter. I saved one frame to test and taste. It looked normal when I strained it with cheese cloth. It had some air bubbles now, after a few months bottled up it looks like all air bubbles. Any idea?

Thanks Art
Check out my Blog!:

http://beekeeper.flexmedia.tv/

Retired State Trooper. Part time Beekeeper. If you ever see me run, Run!

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
Re: I have some strange looking honey
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 05:45:24 pm »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Check out my Blog!:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 05:48:02 pm »
If that is indeed air bubbles, then it fermented.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 05:54:55 pm »
Probably had too much water content when bottled so it fermented  :cry:
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 09:41:34 pm »
What does that mean?? I kept a very small jar as a sample of every year (2018) and it looks fine. No air bubbles. I pulled this jar out to use some honey to back sweeten some experimental peach wine I made this year and now look at it!!

So should I just throw it away?

Thanks,
Art
Check out my Blog!:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 09:46:35 pm »
Use it to make mead. Freeze it until you are ready to use it.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 12:11:25 am »
Use it to make mead. Freeze it until you are ready to use it.

Jim,
Really?  I was going to "Backsweeten" some peach wine (Something else I'm new at) by adding honey because it was kinda strong in alcohol content (12.5%) and not sweet. They say to add honey or sugar after the mead stops fermenting and the honey will not turn to alcohol. Just make it sweeter. I'm going to study up but I think this will make it sweeter and just a little more stronger in alcohol content.

Thanks for the tip!
Art
Check out my Blog!:

Offline lastfling

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 08:32:55 am »
You would need to add something (camden tab ) maybe to kill yeast to stop sfermentation before adding honey or sugar otherwise you?re liable to re-start fermentation with the addition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 01:58:44 am »
You would need to add something (camden tab )
Yeah,
I decided to use it in something else. Too many complications and it's just as easy to add non fermented honey to backsweeten.
Thanks
Art
Check out my Blog!:

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 09:12:10 am »
Yeah,
I decided to use it in something else. Too many complications and it's just as easy to add non fermented honey to backsweeten.
Thanks
Art
It may still ferment if the yeast is not dead.  If you do not heat up the honey first it will have live yeast in it.  If all you want to do is sweeten it throw sugar in it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 11:43:08 am »

It may still ferment if the yeast is not dead.  If you do not heat up the honey first it will have live yeast in it.  If all you want to do is sweeten it throw sugar in it.

I going to use a little cane sugar. BTW Acebird.. all my bees are dead. Again this year. Just saw them today
Check out my Blog!:

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 05:38:29 pm »
BTW Acebird.. all my bees are dead. Again this year. Just saw them today

Oh no!  I feel bad for you.  Have you had someone look at those hives?  It if very unusual for someone to have 100% losses every year unless there is some other disease besides mite infestation.  I am sure you have checked for AFB.  Put some pics up of the hives as they were wintered.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 06:44:07 pm »
Flex,
Sorry to hear about your losses. I recommend you fill a kitchen trash can with a 200 parts per million floral to water mixture. That is one tablespoon of Clorox per gallon of water. Ringer all of the combs and frames in it and let them dry. This will kill any bacteria on the surfaces. I just did this myself to the equipment of some of the hives that I suspected were a problem.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 11:50:10 pm »
BTW Acebird.. all my bees are dead. Again this year. Just saw them today

Oh no!  I feel bad for you.  Have you had someone look at those hives?  It if very unusual for someone to have 100% losses every year

I don?t even know where to start! This is year 6 and I have tried what I think is everything. At least they lasted longer than all the others this time. I have some pictures of last years winterization, I think. This is today. They did eat a lot of the sugar brick I made.

Check out my Blog!:

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 12:04:14 am »
That is one tablespoon of Clorox per gallon of water. Ringer all of the combs and frames in it and let them dry. This will kill any bacteria on the surfaces.
Jim Altmiller

Jim,
Well, you know my plight from years ago. It is frustrating. I have never rinsed like you described. I usually just replace the frames with new and wipe down the hives. Do you think I have a bacteria every year? I do have wax moths in every hive every year because my hive are weak after swarming. They just look eerie today on the first day over 60 degrees

Check out my Blog!:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2019, 07:05:47 am »
Flex,
Are you saying your bees super swarm, swarming over and over until the mother hive is too weak to survive, every year before they die? That is a different problem all together.
I wrote about this several years ago.
In order for the bees to super swarm, they have to hold the queens in their cells.
When you suspect they are swarming, put your ear to the hives and listen.

If you hear queens piping, that means that the bees are holding the queens in there cells so that they can super swarm (swarm over and over again). When this is allowed to happen, there is a good chance that the original hive will not survive.
Find at least 10 to 15 queen, then slowly open the hive and inspect every frame and carefully open the queen cells. Place the queens in the cages. Go through the entire hive and find every Q cell. Pick the best one and put it back in the hive. If it is a very large hive you can make up a couple of splits. If you disturb the bees too much, they will stop tending to keep the queens in the cells and the queens will all hatch out in mass. If that happens, work fast to catch them all.
Have a small jar of alcohol ready to put any dead queens into. Use the alcohol for swarm traps.
Good luck.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2019, 09:41:26 am »
Hives look like two mediums.  Too small for overwintering in MI.  If you are buying bees and they swarm in the first year they don't stand much of a chance to survive the winter.  You are doing something or not doing something that causes them to swarm.  Just to recap on a new hive.  You can't take a drop of honey until you have two solid boxes of honey above a two box brood chamber.  If you try to feed them through winter I predict they will fail every time.
Being next to a lake that gets fogged in regularly is not ideal.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2019, 10:33:56 am »
the location looks too moist to me, too.

swarming: at least for the european bees I know in our climate it is quite normal for a hive to swarm several times. first, the large swarm with the old mom. after that several smaller ones with unmated queens. there is nothing like "holding the queens in their cells" around here. never heard of that. they co-exist and then take flight with some bees.
so....
maybe they didn`t get enough room so you get so much swarming tendencies? meaning: if the brood-nest clogs up with honey (no supers, supers with no comb, maybe even without foundation?), they can`t breed any more and ... leave.

as for swarming and a dwindling hive: if a large "pre"-swarm and several small "after"-swarms go off, it should have been one heck of a hive. there will be plenty of brood in the old box. no reason to dwindle at all!
if they dwindle, they got a problem. probably: varroa.
when a swarm goes off, or several, let`s say, half the  number of adult bees just for math`s sake, they take appr. 5% of the varroa along. 90% is in the brood. so all of a sudden, the ratio varroa to bees increases quite a bit. if the hives haven`t been treated right the fall and winter before, they got too much now and if you don`t really control them, they will dwindle because sick bees don`t breed good bees. so it crashes evtl.

get another source for your bees, keep an eye on varroa (alcohol wash, not your natural eye) and treat fittingly to time of year and condition of the hive.

honey was too moist. harvested too early or stored not fittingly. one or two days in the comb at your lake-site before extracting or letting it sit around in a strainer will do it, too. I got a moist environment, too. I use an air-dehydrater now, cause I cant extract that fast.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2019, 10:48:27 am »
BF,
Have you ever heard your queens piping in the hive. If so the bees are keeping the queens locked in their cells. As fast as the queen cuts the cap off the bees seal it up. I know this because I have an observation hive. The bees swarmed 3 times and I could still hear queens  piping. I could hear 3 different sounding queens so I had 4 queen cages ready. I ended up finding 11 queens and I missed one. They were all still in their cells. When I disturbed the bees guarding the queens the queens would cut the cap open and craw out.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2019, 01:07:40 pm »
interesting!
yes, I have heard them piping and collected queens, too. But most were running around.

anything