Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rearing calendar, exact timings  (Read 3024 times)

Offline bzzigi

• New Bee
Rearing calendar, exact timings
« on: April 24, 2012, 03:38:46 am »
Hello all,
I'd try to rear my own queens (well, not my own, but in my beeyard :) ) for the first time, using either Jenter or Nicot (not decided yet). I am familiar with queen rearing calendar in terms of days, but some authors insist on performing some operations, mostly in early phases, at an exact hour or, at least, exact part of the day.
How important is it?
For example, is there a best time (morning, evening) to put a queen in Jenter or Nicot box?
Is it important that queen stays there for exactly 24 hours or she can be released after 20 or 28 hours?
Is there a best time to take larvae out of the Jenter box and to put them in a starter? Morning? Evening?
And so on...

As I am a hobbyst beekeper, with a daily job, it is important for me to know if I can do everything when I come home in the afternoon.  :-\

Kind regards,
bzzigi

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Rearing calendar, exact timings
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 05:31:05 am »
>I'd try to rear my own queens (well, not my own, but in my beeyard Smiley ) for the first time, using either Jenter or Nicot (not decided yet). I am familiar with queen rearing calendar in terms of days, but some authors insist on performing some operations, mostly in early phases, at an exact hour or, at least, exact part of the day.
How important is it?

It is not.

>For example, is there a best time (morning, evening) to put a queen in Jenter or Nicot box?

It does not matter.

>Is it important that queen stays there for exactly 24 hours or she can be released after 20 or 28 hours?

24 would be best and probably easiest for you as you probably have time available the same time very day.  At 20 she MIGHT have laid it all up and that might work fine.  At 28 she probably will have laid it all up but also will have laid more doubles...

>Is there a best time to take larvae out of the Jenter box and to put them in a starter? Morning? Evening?

No, but 4 days even is better than 3 1/2 or 4 1/2.  Not that 4 1/2 couldn't work, but you'll have more of the right aged larvae at 4.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesqueenrearing.htm#calendar
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything