Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Massachusetts  (Read 2026 times)

Offline thousandwords

• New Bee
Hello from Massachusetts
« on: February 06, 2017, 08:29:45 pm »
Hi everybody,

Brand new member here and quite new to beekeeping in general as well.

I went to the county bee school last March then started with a Langstroth hive- just building and staining the hive itself and building the frames was such a joy! Bought a bee package in April, colony was doing great, but by early June I had a bear pay a visit and as a result I lost all bees.

Needless to say this Spring I will start again, I will build an electric fence this time around. I am thinking of adding a second hive and I'm contemplating getting another type of hive just to experience something different. Really considering a National with a deep brood box and a standard brood box (here in New England most everybody seem to have two brood boxes, I believe because winters being harsher than down south, they want the bees to have adequate food stores for the winter- I am mentioning this as I did notice that a standard National comes with only one brood box).

Anyways, I really enjoyed the short month or so of beekeeping last year and I'm really excited to start again and to become an active member of this community- I am sure I will be soaking up the wealth of knowledge on this forum as needs will arise along my beekeeping adventure.

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
Re: Hello from Massachusetts
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 09:06:28 pm »
Welcome. Have fun with it. And enjoy some of your own honey. It always tastes better.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 09:54:14 pm »
Welcome  :happy:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 10:50:10 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 09:15:49 am »
Welcome and I am sure that you are glad the Patriots won. Enjoy your celebration.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 02:25:18 pm »
Welcome, some of our northern beeks can probably give you some tips on bear protection.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline agodin01

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 08:21:06 pm »
Hello.  I'm a new member and a new beekeeper from MA as well.  I'm thinking of joining the Essex County Beekeepers Association, because it seems like I could participate in selling my honey at the Topsfield fair with these guys.  Apparently each city/town in Essex County has an average of 8 resident beekeepers.  Very neat.  I had no idea beekeeping was so popular.

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 10:34:49 pm »
Welcome Thousandwords,

Lots of bears here also. I build my electric fence with sturdy posts every 4 feet and 54" corral panel. Drive a good deep ground stake and ground the corral panel. Then run one hot strand 6-8" above the corral panel and 1 "scare wire" about 18" of the ground.

Since you know there is a bear in your area, and he knows where you are, he'll be back. I would hang strips of bacon, just a few on the top and scare wire. When he takes a taste it will make an impression.

Good Luck and hang in there. :smile:
Neill