Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How do you tell when watermelons are ripe?  (Read 5019 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
How do you tell when watermelons are ripe?
« on: July 02, 2016, 08:19:53 am »
This year is the first time we have watermelon growing in my wife's garden. There are about 15 round basketball sized melons. We do not know how you tell when they are ripe.
Does anyone know.
Are they like cantaloupe. She also planted cantaloupe and got 10 of them. They are easy, the stems will fall of when they are ready.
Do the watermelon stems dry up when they are ready?
Thanks in advance.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
Re: How do you tell when watermelons are ripe?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 12:09:41 pm »
Yes the stems will dry up when no longer needed. They can be picked earlier (as many store suppliers do). Hold in one hand and thump with the other. If you get a deep sound the melon is already ripe. If possible, elevate the melons so they are not sitting in a water collection point (they do not have to be off the ground as some smaller growers may tell you.)  Most of all . . . enjoy.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 02:42:32 pm »
Thanks Mike.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 03:00:29 am »
Jim, I don't let my stems dry before I pick them.  I want it to have a good green stem, I will watch and thump them to tell when ripe.  It will have a different sound that ones not ripe.  When the stem begins to dry mine are getting to ripe.

Good luck

Joe D

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 06:54:15 am »
Thanks Joe.
I will try thumping them and see if I can hear the difference.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Nico

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 08:14:27 pm »
Jim I give them a tap with my knuckle or a flick with my a finger, the more hollow the sound the better the melon.
Nico

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 12:38:00 am »
Thanks.
Ben Franklin

Offline Peanut

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 12:47:44 am »
Thumping and drying stem are both subjective techniques from experience, thumping more so. I have been thumping melons for 50 years, got that one down pat.

The stem starting to brown is the easiest measure for new growers. If you have a dozen melons close to the same age you will be able to judge a brown stem against one starting to turn brown and judge for yourself the stage at which you prefer to harvest.

Thumping is an ear thing, takes a while to get the hang of it.  :wink:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 07:47:10 am »
Thanks Peanut. That was my concern, having never thumped watermelons before. My wife is afraid if I pick up the pumpkins high enough to put them in my hand that it will break the stem pozssiy before they are ready.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 02:19:29 pm »
eat one
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 02:45:21 pm »
When mentioning the stem, we're talking about the little curly (can't think of the name right now) thing not too far from the stem that's connected to the fruit? Not the actual stem. Another thing is to look at the bottom, if it's got a lot of white on it then you're either there or it's close.

Another thing with the cantaloupe is to smell it. If it smells like cantaloupe it's ready. I can grow the heck out of cantaloupes and about anything else. For what ever reason I can't grow water melons or gourds.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 05:55:16 am »
I checked the watermelons Monday morning. They did not sound hollow. Not sure what part you are referring to but all of the stems connecting to the top of the watermelons are very green. We did not pick any yet.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 09:42:34 am »
Here's what I was talking about;

http://commonsensehome.com/tell-watermelon-is-ripe/

Ripe Melon Tip #2 ? Check the Little Curling Tendril Located Where the Watermelon Stem Joins the Main Vine

Right where the stem to your melon joins the main vine, there should be a little curling tendril or curly cue of vine.  If this little tendril is brown and dried, odds are your melon is as ripe as it?s going to get.  If the tendril is still green and springy, the melon is still growing.  Sometimes all your vines may start dying back before you?ve harvested, not just a tendril.  Ready or not, this is as ripe as your watermelons are going to get.  Unlike some fruits, watermelons do not ripen further once they are off the vine.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 09:58:35 am »
Here's an interesting trick; (I've never tried it);

"pull out a piece of dry broom straw and set it on top of the watermelon. If the watermelon is ripe, the straw actually swings around and lines up with the ends of the watermelon"

Some folks swear by this.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 10:16:30 am »
Thanks, that helped. I will bee checking again this Friday.
Ben Franklin

anything