Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Where to Purchase Bees in Western NC  (Read 5791 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Where to Purchase Bees in Western NC
« on: September 15, 2017, 01:42:33 pm »
I am looking to start up my hives in the spring, and I've heard that I need to purchase my bees early.  Could anyone give me some recommendations on reputable people who are selling bees in my area?   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: Where to Purchase Bees in Western NC
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 02:22:33 pm »
A lot of question there to be answered. Are you looking for local nucs, local packages, or you wanting early bees. Early bees or more than likely going to be shipped out of Georgia and of the Italian line.  If nucs are you looking for mediums frame or deep frame? And as far as bee... Italian, Russian, VSH. etc... Some question you may ponder. And places for you to start asking questions.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 05:25:43 pm by sc-bee »
John 3:16

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 02:46:14 pm »
BeezNeedz has nucs and packages. Packages from Georgia and nucs from both NC and Calif. The Calif. nucs are available much earlier than local nucs. They also have Waynes queens available.
www.waynesbees.com
www.beezneedz.com
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 06:09:11 pm »
A lot of question there to be answered. Are you looking for local nucs, local packages, or you wanting early bees. Early bees or more than likely going to be shipped out of Georgia and of the Italian line.  If nucs are you looking for mediums frame or deep frame? And as far as bee... Italian, Russian, VSH. etc... Some question you may ponder. And places for you to start asking questions.

I am planning on running all mediums, but I'm not sure about nuc or package yet, and I don't really have a preference.  I'm looking at just Italians or Carniolans, as far as race goes.  By "early bees", do you mean "do I want them now"?  If so, then no, I'm not looking for early bees.  I just have read that I should probably have them ordered by like Thanksgiving, so I thought I'd put out some feelers to see who was around and then I could narrow down the specifics based on what was available.       

Thanks for the links iddee, I like the sound of the varroa resistance on those bees. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 06:26:39 pm »
I mean early as in early season like March...most early bees will not be local to NC but shipped in. A nuc can be the best deal for the money if you find a honest supplier. Ask around about the supplier as you are doing now. Unfortunately some folks will sell you their trash.  And if you want a medium nuc you need to be sure what your are ordering is mediums. Deeps are easier to come by but mediums have gained a lot of popularity over the last few years.

If you were interested in Russians as a choice...the Webs' are in Upper Georgia.. Without getting into the the details at this point research Russian stock and see if you may be interested. They will run more $$$, and you will need to order early and get them from a certified Russian breeder if you decide to go that route, not just someone who claims to have Russian bees :wink:

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 06:30:04 pm »
"Mountain sweet honey" in Georgia will ship packages.  They are accepting orders now (credit card ok) for spring of 2018.  They are good folks to deal with and ship outstanding queens with your package(s).
I live in Arkansas, I am not associated with these folks and I have purchased their packages of bees so I offer an unbiased opinion.

Do some checking yourself, they are good people to deal with.
Blessings

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 06:38:02 pm »
By early, I mean Calif. nucs in March. Packages from Ga. come the first 2 weeks in April. Local nucs don't come until May.
I am associated with them. I help them just to have something to do in my retirement. I also am the one who named and propagated the Waynes bees.
If you drive here from western NC, I am also the one that will show you around and take you to dinner.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 07:05:51 pm »
If you were interested in Russians as a choice...the Webs' are in Upper Georgia.. Without getting into the the details at this point research Russian stock and see if you may be interested.
I will definitely look into that.  I had written Russians off as inaccessible and not worth the effort, so that's good to know. 

If you drive here from western NC, I am also the one that will show you around and take you to dinner.
Haha, good sales pitch!  I'll keep in mind that the perk of free food comes with your bees!   :cheesy:

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 11:18:35 am »
Local beek club? Start going to meetings now, taking notes on winterizing etc, especially dates and methods. Pay attention to whose opinions are respected by the club members, who's been around a while with a good reputation. Make a friend or two. In January ask that person or those persons where to get bees. And you'll get good local info and mentoring relationships to boot. 

I've been to Beezneedz and am confident you would be taken care of there.

If I was starting over and had enough  $$ I would buy two nucs. Maybe from different places even.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 02:27:27 pm »
If I was starting over and had enough  $$ I would buy two nucs. Maybe from different places even.
Hey, that's a good idea, getting 2 from different places.  That way I wouldn't be putting all my bees in one basket, so to speak.   :cheesy:

I did some research on Russian bees last night, and I don't think I'm going to go that route.  They just seem a little challenging, and I'd rather not add any extra variables into the equation as a newbee. 

As I've been perusing around the forum, I've heard great things about Fat Bee Man's bees.  He's actually not terribly far from me.  Most of the posts about his bees are pretty old however.  Are people still having good luck with his bees being nice and calm?   

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 03:01:21 pm »
As I've been perusing around the forum, I've heard great things about Fat Bee Man's bees.  He's actually not terribly far from me.  Most of the posts about his bees are pretty old however.  Are people still having good luck with his bees being nice and calm?

I tried to sent you a PM ... says you have me blocked.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 04:27:36 pm »
I tried to sent you a PM ... says you have me blocked.
Sorry, I had it set to Buddies and Administrators Only.  I changed it, so it should work now.

Offline CrazyTalk

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 08:22:31 pm »
I mean early as in early season like March...most early bees will not be local to NC but shipped in.
The year I tried to get started, every package and nuc supplier was sold out by January - and I was told I should have bought in december. The year I did get started, I paid for a package in december, and received it in april.

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 08:57:20 pm »
I can't speak for there bee's, but I can speak for them being easy to deal with , mountain sweet honey is 10 min from my house. I've got some supplies from them. They are super nice people.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline HillBilly2

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 10:51:35 am »
Don't know where your at in WNC, but almost every county has a bee club who could direct you. You can get packages around the first of April, but order them by December. Nucs will not be available until mid May. Either way plan on feeding most of the first year.

I got my packages this year from Wild Mountain Bees in Weaverville. Friend went to Anderson SC to pick some up. There are probably a dozen suppliers within a couple of hours.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 07:09:34 pm »
Don't know where your at in WNC, but almost every county has a bee club who could direct you. You can get packages around the first of April, but order them by December. Nucs will not be available until mid May. Either way plan on feeding most of the first year.

I got my packages this year from Wild Mountain Bees in Weaverville. Friend went to Anderson SC to pick some up. There are probably a dozen suppliers within a couple of hours.
Thanks, Hillbilly!  Wild Mountain is the closest recommendation I've gotten thus far.  They are only about an hour east of me.  Do you know of any other places around here that I could start looking into?

Offline HillBilly2

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2017, 08:59:27 am »

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2017, 02:59:22 pm »

Offline HillBilly2

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2017, 08:30:05 pm »

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee

anything