Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hurricane Irma  (Read 9796 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Hurricane Irma
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2017, 03:10:43 pm »
Ditto SC.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2017, 03:17:50 pm »
hey Jim if your power is not outand your still on>

How you getting to the house in town tommorow?

the same way I'm getting to my shop across the dry creek  Wednesday.

THE BACK STROKE!

:angry: :oops: :tongue:

John

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2017, 07:13:12 pm »
News on the wire from Tampa is Irma is proving a fizzer, folks are driving
around in it!
Thank your (L)awd for that near miss.. now comes the aftermath :-/

Bill

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2017, 01:32:19 pm »
Anyone hear from KeylargoBees?  How he made out.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2017, 08:17:07 pm »
Well I have the generator up and running and the phone company has a small generator providing internet. Yea. Phones do not work but that is not a problem. I spent the morning helping neighbors clear trees off roads and we pulled a up truck out of a washed out road. The truck had water up to the bottom of the windows. I spent the rest of the day wiring up generators to 2 of those neighbors houses.
When I came home I found out that my house in Jacksonxille has severe roof damage, the large oaks in my front yard have split and a tree or branch is on my workshop. Not sure how bad the damage is.
My daughters house was un touched.
Here at the farm, lots of water and soggy ground but no known damage.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2017, 09:14:13 pm »
Well I have the generator up and running and the phone company has a small generator providing internet. Yea. Phones do not work but that is not a problem. I spent the morning helping neighbors clear trees off roads and we pulled a up truck out of a washed out road. The truck had water up to the bottom of the windows. I spent the rest of the day wiring up generators to 2 of those neighbors houses.
When I came home I found out that my house in Jacksonxille has severe roof damage, the large oaks in my front yard have split and a tree or branch is on my workshop. Not sure how bad the damage is.
My daughters house was un touched.
Here at the farm, lots of water and soggy ground but no known damage.
Jim

Sorry about the roof.... hang in there Jim...
John 3:16

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2017, 10:11:36 pm »
Jim,
 I am pleased that you and yours emerged unharmed. The rest is work, which is unfortunate, but in the big scheme of things could have been far worse.
Neill

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2017, 11:57:10 pm »
Well still at work, family is good no power and the hives I moved due to a sketchy tree was well worth it as the tree fell and would have Crushed them, Jim sorry about the roof hope it works out
R

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2017, 12:55:11 am »
Well still at work, family is good no power and the hives I moved due to a sketchy tree was well worth it as the tree fell and would have Crushed them, Jim sorry about the roof hope it works out
R

John 3:16

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2017, 11:06:30 pm »
well was out of power,water,phone, internet for 30 hourse. got power back at 830 tonight. wired gen to house to keep wifes equipment running. wired well to niegborhood for two hours so everyone could shower and get water up. they finnally cleared the roads to get in and repaireddown wires. had to rescedual doctors appt to find out if I need another surgury to my arm for thrus. . now to clean up all the down trees in the neighborhood. boy do i have alot of new trees to cut into lumber. ilf thats a bright side. :tongue:

john

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2017, 08:13:51 am »
Thanks for the support.
I spent this morning trying to get the generator to start. It starts, runs for a few
Minutes and then dies. Took the carb apart, cleaned it sener times but could not get it to run. My neighbor left to take care of his mother in law shortly after we wired up my generator that I loaned him so I went and got it and desired it to connect to my place.
Then I went to Jacksonxille. This area is way worse than the farm. Trees down everywhere, roofs damaged. Tons and tons of debris everywhere. My daughter had a large tree branch fall on the pipes on top ove the well. Pump ran dry, melted pipes and she thought that was the only problem. Her girls pulled the branch off the well and did not see the damage. We worked into the dark fixing all of the problems and had her water back on about 9:30 PM.
I called the insurance company and put in a claim. Becides the roof damage, I have a small hole in my barn roof right at the peak, half a dozen  trees severely damaged, at least 4 trees leaning. One large one right behind the house has the dirt around the root on the house side removed like some one used a hose to make holes on the sides of the root. I looked at it several times before I realized the roots were pulled up and down several times by the storm. That tree has to come down.
I am hoping that the insurance company will cover removing all of these trees.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2017, 08:25:35 am »
Seems bittersweet there, Jim. It sounds like you came out on ""the good side of bad"", if there is such a thing.
Hope you get it covered and done shortly.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2017, 09:12:09 am »
Jim.  I had a mechanic, a good one, tell me to use AVGAS which has no ethanol.  It will not dissolve the soft parts of a carburetor like ethanol.  Also avgas is made to stay fresh for longer periods.  So that is what I use in my Generator.  After it has been running  awhile I use regular gas but always leave AVGAS in tank or drain all of the gas and run it until it runs out and quits.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2017, 09:47:33 am »
Yeah things that don't run for long periods of time are susceptible for plugging up.  I have had to clean the tank and replace hoses to keep the carb from plugging.  If the carb has screw jets it is easier because you can take them out and clean orfices.  Fixed jets there is not much you can do except try to blow them out with compressed air.
One thing you can try is fill up a pump oiler can with gas and when the engine starts to die squirt in gas at the carb venturi to keep it running.  Sometimes if you can keep it running long enough it will clear itself.  Good luck.
Many premium gas pumps do not have ethanol in the gas.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2017, 11:08:28 am »
In reply to ACE I concur as my Great Grand son says age 8.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2017, 12:31:04 pm »
Jim, I started what I thought was going to be a long process to get my generator back up and running. I replace the inline fuel filter and it cranked on the second pull. It still has a gas leak. I can fix it but I'll have to take off a few things to get to it. Good to know you're okay. I was in Ft Payne in north Alabama this past weekend. The hotels were packed out with Florida tags. You could look at folks and tell if they were from Florida. sad.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2017, 02:03:31 pm »
jim your oil sensor is triggering. disconnect the wire to the sensor or change the oil if old. that is whats shutting it down after a min or two. oil gets hot and the sensor triggers. very very common problem.

john

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2017, 02:11:33 pm »
I have a generator for the PTO of my tractor. I highly recommend it. I use the tractor all the time so I don't have crap clogging up from it sitting for long periods of time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2017, 02:52:10 pm »
Jim - Glad you and your family are OK.   Sorry to her about the property.  Hope things are working out  better and you've got the generator up and going.   Wishing you some good luck from here on out!   

My sister and her family weathered it out in North Port [gulf coast between Tampa and Naples]   They were lucky and didn't even lose power.  Scary.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2017, 09:15:57 pm »
For big as it was Irma did much less damage than expected.  Thank God Jose danced around the Atlantic and didn't follow Irma or it would have been a different story.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it