Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Small Hive Beetle Solution, that is inexpensive and easy  (Read 7424 times)

Offline Florida Bee Rancher

• New Bee
Re: Small Hive Beetle Solution, that is inexpensive and easy
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 01:32:42 pm »
Hi derekNGA,

Neverwet will stop ants, they can't crawl on it either. The best way to stop the ants is to place the Neverwet coated barrier some where between the ground and hive stand. I have all my hives sitting on 2"X6" boards that sit on top of 8"x8"x16" blocks so all I have to do is pick up the hive stand and lay an oversized coated barrier on top of the block, have the barrier protrude out at least 2" out from the block its that simple.. Try Amazon and Tractor supply for a Neverwet source. Good Luck with your bees.

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2017, 02:49:21 pm »
I have the never wet strips and the weather stripping.  My problem is the weather stripping sticks to both boxes and it gets torn up when I go in to inspect the hive.

Offline Florida Bee Rancher

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2017, 11:30:21 am »
Hi tycrnp,

Closed cell polyethylene foam tape comes in single side and double sided adhesive seal, you should be using the single sided tape. Make sure the propolis on both side of the boxes is cleaned off with you hive tool before applying foam.

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2017, 01:19:05 am »
It is the single sided.  I'll have to clean them up when I replace the strips.  Thanks.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2019, 08:28:26 am »
Matt J,

They have been on my hives for a year. Neverwet dries to hard and "permanent" film, once painted you never have to refinish again. There isn't any periodic cleaning, repainting or replacement needed, that's the beauty of the system and plus its inexpensive. As per the video the coated flanges are stapled on the 3/4' riser of the bottom board, the flange stays attached to the bottom board, the hive body only contacts the uncoated side of the flange. You may want to watch the video again, all of this is explained in the video.  Our Lowes and Home Depot stopped carrying Neverwet, I have purchased it from Amazon. I recently found it at a Tractor Supply Store on clearance for $5.00 a kit, needless to say I bought 6 kits.

Using this link for continuity I ask.... in trying to help an offline buddy via mail I'd like to know of any
further developments with this concept.
Thankyou.

Bill

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2019, 01:59:44 am »
I also, would like to know of any further developments. The beetle season is fast approaching here.  Thanks , Phillip 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2019, 07:58:21 pm »
I also, would like to know of any further developments. The beetle season is fast approaching here.  Thanks , Phillip

Caught the guy up on his latest effort borne from realising just how efficient
hygenic bees can be.
For mine the concept has now moved beyond the realms of practicality in an
apiary as the expense for a few colonys is prohibitive and way too much work
for large scale with no guarantee over Time. Good Luck to him, I say.

One observation is you have to wonder just where the micro (nano) particles
of these "foreign objects" end up in the food chain given the plethora of /wild/wierd/
bits of kit introduced to beehive shells in the intent to help bees whereas they
see such introduction as rubbish to be got rid of or 'good stuff' to be stored in cells
or used in building wax or propolis.
Yep, makes one wonder.

Cheers.

Bill

--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YT0NucFxHQ&app=desktop

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2019, 08:39:00 pm »

One observation is you have to wonder just where the micro (nano) particles
of these "foreign objects" end up in the food chain given the plethora of /wild/wierd/
bits of kit introduced to beehive shells in the intent to help bees whereas they
see such introduction as rubbish to be got rid of or 'good stuff' to be stored in cells
or used in building wax or propolis.
Yep, makes one wonder.

Cheers.

Bill

Very good point Mr Bill and one I haven't considered.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2019, 09:08:19 pm »
Seems like a waste of time to me. At first the SHBs arena real problem but after a year or two the bees learn how to deal with them and they are only a problem when the bees are weak or seriously stressed. Decrease your inspections to just what is needed and you will reduce the amount of stress on them.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin