Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Boxes out of OSB?  (Read 14472 times)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Boxes out of OSB?
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 02:10:34 am »
What about using Cedar fence boards?  I have a couple dozen of them ...Will the bees not like the smell of cedar.

I've always found that bees seem to do better in cedar than in pine.  I will take a cedar hive over a pine one any day.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 07:09:37 am »
I've always found that bees seem to do better in cedar than in pine.  I will take a cedar hive over a pine one any day.

I wonder why.

Offline bfriendly

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 03:24:28 am »
Not to give you any ideas but I bought some equipment from a guy who made everything himself, frames included.  About 3/4 of his boxes were osb and they obviously had bees in them for years and years.  He painted the inside and outside.  I didn't take any of these...

I have used osb (actually primarily osb siding) for lids and nuc boxes, but wouldn't use it on anything that you have exposed to the weather over winter.

I have made plenty of equipment out of scrap ply...  It does warp, but...free is free

Offline Eshu

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 02:30:52 pm »
What about using Cedar fence boards?  I have a couple dozen of them ...Will the bees not like the smell of cedar.

Most of the cedar fencing I've seen is too thin for my tastes.  If it was a full 3/4" thick and not so dry it would split, I would use them.