Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any truth to this?  (Read 3050 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Any truth to this?
« on: September 12, 2017, 04:28:27 pm »
Close check: An audit found that more than 100 hives in Victoria?s North West had clinical signs of American foulbrood. LARGE scale biosecurity checks...

http://www.beeculture.com/catch-buzz-1-10-australian-pollination-hives-afb/?utm_source=Catch+The+Buzz&utm_campaign=345dc98b63-Catch_The_Buzz_4_29_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0272f190ab-345dc98b63-331991557
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
Re: Any truth to this?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 04:46:13 pm »
I read just the other day somewhere where the mexican[1] g'mnt actually
introduced and passed legislation - in record time - to deal with this,
sending all in a flutter. I'll try and find the reference, later ;-)

Cheers.

Bill

--
[1] our (Queenslander) reference for the State of Victoria... them being
"south of the border", and a weird lot :-))))

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 07:17:32 am »
Just received this in a PM from one of our friends down under. He/She asked me not to use their name.  It may explain why the beeks aren't cooperating as well as the gov. would like.

"""G day  iddee.  You made comment in the down under section of this forum, as to any truth in the article on bees with afb in the aussie almonds. I notice that lots have viewed yet none have dared to comment.  I think everyone is too scared to comment .Our apiary inspectors are a law onto their own. They have the right to destroy any of our equipment on suspicion of disease. They can burn all your hives and take all your equipment with out having to prove that you have a notifable disease. So to see that they burnt 100 of someone s hives doesn't surprise me. Particularly if they want to get a beekeeper out for what ever reason.
 Happy for you to use this information, but please don't use my name. """
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 08:50:35 am »
Typical out of control government.
We had this happen to one of our big beekeeping authors about 5 years ago. He documented that they had no proof of any disease but came in and took his bees saying he had AFB.
Also almost had it happen to a friend who worked hard to get state rules changed to bee more friendly to hobbyists beekeepers. Had to raise a lot of attention to keep the bees.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Milo

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 12:14:13 pm »
...Our apiary inspectors are a law onto their own. They have the right to destroy any of our equipment on suspicion of disease. They can burn all your hives and take all your equipment with out having to prove that you have a notifable disease.

I don't work in the industry so can't really comment, just curious if your Aussie friend is actually from Victoria or is an out of state beekeeper complaining about Victorian bio security laws?

Reading the ag-note it looks like they would be due compensation if they had reported the issue.

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 05:45:36 pm »
Im one of those that has read but not replied.
Only just heading into my second year so zero experience with AFB. I have heard a few reports of AFB around the ACT.
If the industry is going to rely on self reporting there really need to be a clear and simple compensation scheme in place to be successful.
If reporting is going to cost someone money then there is little chance of them reporting. Probably goes as much for the newbie who has just put $1K into one flow hive as a commercial operator who has 1000's of hives.

anything