Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Whether carry or home protection - what do you depend on first?  (Read 15393 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Whether carry or home protection - what do you depend on first?
« on: December 15, 2014, 10:45:24 pm »
Well... carry is out for me, not allowed with considerable reason, but home protection I have a Glock 19 gen4 which is always handy and loaded with American Eagle 9mm flat nosed - remember, you can't use hollow point in New Jersey except in competition or at the range. So I use flat nosed to hopefully stop over penetration if the need ever occur.

I'm still thinking about a shot gun, likely 12 gauge and likely pump action. I have three rifles and all are WW2 or early Cold War era, but shoot beautifully, but this is NOT something you protect your home with here: houses closely spaced apart, all three rifles to big to maneuver around - besides two are bolt action, SKS is semi-auto. Still, my Glock is always loaded, never chambered though and 2 full mags besides the ones in the Glock.

We could argue chambering a round in the Glock all day and I believe all sides would have very valid points. I just choose to know that my Glock won't go off until I rack it - oh and I use a Brass-stacker slide grip for fast chambering of a round. It was originally for helping my wife get a better grip on the Glock slide to rack it and although the gen4 spring eased a little, it is still a bugger to pull back compared to earlier generation.

So in the time I grab the Glock off the nightstand and have it in my hand, I've already chamber a cartridge. It is an almost effortless step and one I'd rather deal with, than have a negligent discharge in my home fumbling for the gun and grabbing it wrong in the dark and only awake seconds.

Besides the 9mm (and the 22 revolver I didn't mention here) I have "personal body alarms" which my mother bought for me and my wife over a decade ago, attached to our front and back doors. If the door is opened even a little the safety pin is pulled and a shrieking 100db alarm goes off. These are still around for about $20 a pair and attach simply to doors. I highly doubt anyone would come in after those alarms sound, but if the literally ran toward the living room or bedrooms, it would take 12 or more seconds - which is a life time of blaring noise and plenty of time to prepare for what might be climbing the stairs.

So we have drilled on  the best route to protect ourselves, how about you? I know gun owners, mostly hunters who do not keep home protection weapons handy and I wonder why. As we all get older, there is always someone younger, faster, stronger and stupider that might try to pull off a home invasion and I believe you need to equalize the threat, if not neutralize it. And it's all an insurance policy against the worse case scenario - a stranger in your home that might be there to steal anything valuable for drugs or God help us, cause harm to our families. The latter may happen, but not without a fight to someone's death.

So, what do you protect your home with and why? And I didn't mention carry much here because I can't comment on what I can't do - but when you aren't home, what goes with you?

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 02:03:00 pm by beemaster »
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Whether carry or home peotection - what do you depend on first?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 10:51:59 pm »
I keep a .45 by the bed, but the truth is, not much beats a shotgun.  In the middle of the night, in the dark, it's probably your best bet.  + you live in town and with the shotgun you don't have to worry about a round going through a wall or window. 

or, use hollow points.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline nella

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 11:48:44 pm »

So, what do you protect your home with and why?
[/quote]

.410 pistol ooo shot with a laser,    why---good coverage.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 09:26:25 am »
In my pocket.... Kel-tec .32 caliber auto.

In home, several longarms, both rifles and shotguns, plus a pistol or two.

#1 protection... Living in a small town and having a reputation that I am armed and will shoot if needed. Well known combat veteran. Well known as a hunter.

Reputation enhances the saying "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 10:05:32 am »
I have a five shot Taurus DA .357 with a bobbed hammer.  I would not even consider anything but a DA revolver for self defense nor anything smaller than a .357 nor anything bigger than a .357...  A .44 mag is too hard to handle and a .38 is not a reliable stopper.  A DA is foolproof.  It can only be in one of two states:  loaded and unloaded.  If it fails to fire another pull on the trigger brings a new round up.  It never jams.  There is no safety to remember.  Nothing more frustrating and life threatening than pulling a trigger and nothing happens...  A Colt 1911 can be any of six states... from 0 to 5.  Other semi-autos vary.

I can put the Taurus in a pocket and the hammer won't catch (no spur).  I can have it behind my back or whatever to avoid bringing a gun into a situation until it's needed.  If five shots won't resolve a situation it's time to get out of there anyway.

I went and bought my first revolver the day after I confronted an invader with a shotgun.  The barrel is too long and you can't keep a gun out of the situation until it's needed with a shotgun.  Sometimes not having a gun in the situation is the best thing to keep it calm and avoid it becoming a life and death situation.  Sometimes it changes to life and death and you need the gun.  A pistol can offer both.  And you don't have a barrel sticking out for someone to grab.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Snowhitsky

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 01:23:29 pm »
My first line of defence is the lock on the front door. Mind you, I often forget to use it.

My second line of defence is living in a country with minimal gun ownership, even lower rates of gun usage and very low rates of violent crime.

As a last resort I own a cantankerous cat.

So far, the only potential firearm victims  I've come across have been inept hunters with poor firearm handling skills. And I mean truly inept.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Whether carry or home protection - what do you depend on first?
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 04:02:11 pm »
Another thing to keep in mind is these kind of encounters happen at 2:00 am or so and you often are still trying to wake up.  It's hard enough to focus on whether the situation requires you to use a gun, without having to think about whether or not the safety is off and if there is a round in the chamber or not...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 06:41:03 pm »
Have any of you thought about a home invasion scenario where someone just comes and knocks on your door? Do you take a concealed firearm every time you open your door? Or do home invasions only happen at night there?

Not trying to be a smarty pants. I live in Australia where violent crimes usually don't involve firearms. But I have traveled in countries where gun violence is part of everyday life.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 08:51:19 pm »
Wife has a 38 sp first round is snake shot so she just has to point in direction and shoot. That should make them blink and hesitate then second round slug then 3rd snake if she misses then slug then was cutter. But with her diminished hand strainth I got her a Taurus pt22 with the flip up barrel so she does not have to track the gun. Me I have my 45 acp 1911 plus a special made 45 acp bullpup assault rifle ( made for close quarters adults . 15 ound clips in 1911 and 25 round for bullpup. Then short barrel 12 ga with 25 round mag plus numerous rifles and others. No more than 2 steps from any one.  Plus a sheriff that has stated in public just make sure there buried deep enough not to smell.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 09:19:56 pm »
Have any of you thought about a home invasion scenario where someone just comes and knocks on your door? Do you take a concealed firearm every time you open your door? Or do home invasions only happen at night there?

Not trying to be a smarty pants. I live in Australia where violent crimes usually don't involve firearms. But I have traveled in countries where gun violence is part of everyday life.
Depending on the time of day/night, or if I'm not expecting a visitor, I just might answer the door with a 9mm in hand, otherwise, it is close at hand, and I never answer without looking out first.

At night, my .45 is on the nightstand, and the 18.5 inch 12 gauge loaded with 00 buck is very near.
But first, an intruder will pass my motion lights and CCTV cameras, my fence, locked door, alarm, and 70 pound set of canine bark and teeth.
What am I worried about?  Not a lot. 

I adopted these measures after a neighbor was attacked in her home.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 07:57:42 am »
So, what do you protect your home with and why? And I didn't mention carry much here because I can't comment on what I can't do - but when you aren't home, what goes with you?

You can carry all you want, Practice civil disobedience.
A crime happens when a victim is harmed not because of disobeying unjust "laws".

For home defense I prefer an "illegal" sawed off 410 followed by the .380. Sound too light? Break in and find out.
For carry, concealed or open, it's the .380 everytime. Compact and lightweight are the 2 most important criteria to me for carry purposes. Well placed shots are more important than stopping power.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 10:29:45 am »
>Have any of you thought about a home invasion scenario where someone just comes and knocks on your door? Do you take a concealed firearm every time you open your door? Or do home invasions only happen at night there?

All of mine but one happened in the middle of the night and began with someone kicking in my door or prying it open with a crowbar.  I do take a gun with me anytime something seems not right about what is going on but it will probably be in the small of my back and not in plain sight.  But there are also other people in the house and any of them could grab a gun if it was needed.  The one in the daytime the neighbor lady was at the door screaming "he's going to kill me!" and I let her in.  She was beaten to a pulp.  The husband kicked in my door yelling and became suddenly very complaint when he saw the .30-30.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A. Heinlein

-------------------

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 10:03:00 am »
Couple hand guns --- (9mm and 38+p and .22's) Long guns-- well I would have to count. Always been a long gun shooter. Multiple 12's around and a 20 and a 410. Rifles- several .22's, a 7-08, .270, muzzle loader etc.

Have put off getting my conceal carry..... need to move it up on the priority list.

John 3:16

Offline kingd

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 07:47:35 am »
  Lately around here,breakins have been in the early to mid afternoons,They knock on the door and if no one answers they kick the door in.

Now for me,We have dogs and if they get through the dogs I/we have a 12 gauge and a  40 cal glock. When out I carry the G23 glock but am looking at getting a smaller one for the wife(she is thinking around a 9mm) and something for when I'm wearing shorts.
  I do have a concealed and the wife is getting hers in a couple of months.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 06:26:44 am »
A friend of mine had a break-in a while back. 4 cars in the drive way, outside lights on, inside kitchen light on, in-laws visiting, heck - it didn't matter the perp was on crack. My friend made the mistake of going in the living room/kitchen area without his pistol. The perp had a knife and cut him a couple of times. He fell back against the fireplace and grabbed a loose brick. He told me he beat that guy in the head so much the brick broke. It didn't even knock him out.

I have plenty of long and short guns all around the house - and a well out back.  :evil:
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 11:20:36 am »
GSF, you could have left that last line off. Now I'll think about it every time I go draw a bucket of water.    :fishhit: :jawdrop:  :hissyfit:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2014, 01:12:20 pm »
One of the posters mentioned living in a location with minimal gun ownership..   It made me laugh..  if I wanted to make a living taking what other people owned by force, thats the first place I would go.

First line of defense here is NOT locking the doors, so anyone wishing to break in does not need to actually beak anything.  Second line is the two Dobermans sleeping in their personal chairs...
   When they bark, it takes my wife and I approximately two seconds to have our firearms in our hands ready to fire.
   We have practiced this..  One time being when our 27 year old son decided he couldnt drive all the way to his house inebriated so He drove the block or so to our house at 3 am...
   Next time the daughter lost her house keys and came here at 1 am to sleep...
   Neither of them got shot, but neither of them came through OUR bedroom door..
  Our guns are to protect our lives, not our physical belongings. We can replace anything we have, except our lives.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2014, 08:30:59 pm »
 I probably shouldn't have said that. My wife will skin me up if the feds tore the English ivy off of her well.

...on the other hand, it does need some digging out :th_thumbsupup:
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Redbug

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2014, 11:12:53 am »
Michael Bush and I think alike about what guns to carry and have at ready. I have shotguns inside the house as well as pistols. One thing about carrying...whatever you carry concealed must be small enough to be comfortable to wear, too. Otherwise, you will not want to wear it all the time. You don't need some big thick thing that imprints under your clothing easily. I have several Ruger SP101's in 357 with the 2" barrels.

There have been houses in our proximity broken into. But, our place is not like the others. We also have large dogs and our place is fenced and gated. No one gets in. Unless the dogs get poisoned. That happens. I think many robberies are done by people that have the scoop on where they are going to rob and they pick the easiest prey. I often shoot squirrels with the shotgun in the back yard. I think things like that also provide information and a deterrent to the surrounding neighborhood about that particular persons style. Gunfire is good on occasion.

I used to not carry much at all. But always had a pistol in the truck or in a room nearby. Now, with all the civil unrest, I carry all the time. On the street, my vehicle can be a pretty good weapon, too.

I think about scenerios and this kind of stuff all the time. It may keep you alive.
Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Offline Redbug

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2014, 11:20:36 am »
And let me add...if you are anti-gun, just keep bee hives around your doors. Burglars are afraid of bees. But I don't think carrying concealed bees is a good idea, though...
Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

anything