MEMBER & GUEST INTERACTION SECTION > THE 2ND AMENDMENT

Weekend at the range

(1/3) > >>

220:
Spent all weekend at a range for a shoot organised by one of the Aussie hunting forums.
Has turned into an annual shoot with this year being the 10th, great weekend as always and a chance to play with some toys you wouldn't normally have the chance to play with.
Range facility has had an upgrade and now includes a running boar range.

Plenty of comps over the weekend, to cater for everything from the smallest rimfires to the biggest dangerous game calibres.
Kicked of with the club 5000 comp, DG calibres that generate over 5000f/lbs of muzzle energy, haven't got anything that qualifies but they run a buff buster comp in conjunction for DG calibres that fall a little short and for big bore BP, I had a play using the 45/70 with BP loads, son shot using 375H&H and got a 3rd in the buff buster.
Next comp up was the deer stopper, anything from 6mm up, son and I used the same rifles as for the buff buster with similar results, lots of fun for me with BP in the 45/70 and a second for him with the 375H&H, daughter had a go with my little 357 marlin.
We skipped the 200m varmint shoot and went to the running boar range, son was running short of H&H ammo so used the marlin 357, 1 sighting pass either direction and then 5 scoring passes, best 10 shots scored and as many shots as you can get away each pass. Son was shooting 3-4 shots each pass, I was managing 2-3 per pass with 45/70. One of the boys using a pump 35whelan managed 7 shots on a couple of passes.
Sunday kicked off with a 200m rimfire comp, we have shot it with 17HM2, 17HMR and 22lr in the past with some success. I keep talking up the 22magnum so thought we better have a go this year with it. Couldn't have asked for a better result, son finished 1st, daughter finished 2nd and I was 3rd.
Last event was a 300m varmint shoot, son had a go using my 240wby and finished 3rd.

Son is turning into quite a good all around shot, next week he is off to compete in AASAM
https://www.army.gov.au/army-life/sport-and-recreation/australian-army-skill-at-arms-meeting
a fortnight later he is shooting ISSF pistol in the State team

Michael Bush:
Sounds like a fun weekend.

220:
Great fun Michael and great people, the generosity of shooters on the forum constantly amazes me.
Not just with the willingness to let anyone have a play with their toys that in some cases cost $10k+ and $10-20 a shot at get togethers like the weekend. Ive lost count of the number of fundraisers they have had to help out members and their families with medical issues.
There was one member there on the weekend who offered to donate a kidney to another in dire need of a transplant. Gave up smoking, lost a lot of weight and was almost  to the operation day before he was told he wasn't a good enough match.
His reply was "surely there is someone who needs a kidney that is a perfect match" donated a kidney to a complete stranger.

Lots of interest in bees on the forum as well, it was a thread on there that finally convinced me to get started. Had a few people on the weekend wanting to talk bees. Took along some honey for the clubhouse and some wax. A few make their own bullet lube for cast projectiles and use it in their secret stock refinishing recipies.

Michael Bush:
Yeah, I've made my own bullet lube before with beeswax and always use beeswax for flux when casting.  My son started doing powder coat instead of grease for the lube now though, so I may be doing that.  Beeswax does do nicely on a oiled finish.

Hops Brewster:
Congratulations on the successful competition, 220.  I'm happy to hear the shooting community in Oz is alive and well.  You've done well to pass on the tradition.   You're truly privileged to be associated with such a generous and selfless group of people.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version