Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Broody Hen  (Read 1868 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Broody Hen
« on: July 27, 2016, 03:50:49 pm »
We've got our 2nd broody hen on eggs. The first one set on 8 or 9, one was unfertilized, two had dead chicks and the other five hatched. Unfortunately two went missing, one one day and the other the next day. Somehow they had found a way out (that we couldn't find) and I believe the absent neighbor's starving cats got them (another story another time). We then moved them into my 30x50 metal shed for a week or so. Also we added another layer of wire then we put them back in there. It's been about a week and all's well.

Our second hen is past her first week. She had been walking around about a couple weeks making her broody sounds. I loaded up the nest that she lays in with golf balls, after about 3 days she took to them. Since we were only getting about 2-3 eggs a day after 4 days I started removing the golf balls out and put the new eggs in there. She said, brock brock you I ain't a setting no more. About a day and a half later I put a couple of golf balls back in towards the front of the nest and she's back on it.

Has anyone ever had a broody hen leave the nest for a couple hours, as in the eggs are cold to the touch? Did they hatch? I had one leave for a long while and they still hatched. I read a story recently. This girl finally had a hen go broody. Her husband took care of things one evening when she had to work late. The next morning he told her he got the eggs in..,
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Online gww

• Super Bee
Re: Broody Hen
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 04:32:45 pm »
I had two chickens sit this year and both went to the wrong nest for who knows how long before we caught it.  Not more then half a day though.  Both hatched some of the eggs and it was warm out.  I don't seperate my broody hens from the rest and so they fight or when the broody hen gets up once a day to poop the others will hop in and lay.  I always mark the eggs and pull out the new ones.  My hatch rate is probly only about 50 percent.  Last year I had one get off and none hatched and I put more under her and she set for over 40 days to get babies.  They are pretty dedicated but do get mixed up at times.  I only check once or twice a day but most times it works out.
Good luck
gww

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Broody Hen
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 03:23:24 pm »
..counting down - less than a week.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything