Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: where is the queen  (Read 4297 times)

Offline Hilltop

• New Bee
where is the queen
« on: August 19, 2004, 04:47:38 pm »
HI
I started keeping bees because I read in Mother Earth Mag., that all the wild bees where dieing. I have a small farm and told my husband that we need to start keeping bees. I got a beekeeper to show me what to do and went to the library and checked out some books. Built two hives and got them ready, then sent away for my bees. I  put the bees in there hives just like the books said to do. One hive was Russian the other one was Italian. I was checking on my new hives, to see if the queen was out of her cage, like I had been told to do on the 4 day. The Russian was not. So; I thought I would help her out. I removed the screen so she could get out, and she did, right up in to the air. I was horrified I just stood there I could not believe what I was seeing, My Russian Queen Flying Away. This was not in any book I had read; it was not suppose to happen this way. The other hive let their queen out in three days and all I had to do was get the empty cage out, but not this group, oh no they where to busy making comb to free the queen. After standing there in shook for I do not how long, I went in the house and got me a drink. Anyway that night after work Charles (he is the man that got me started) came over and helped me look for the queen, the little devil was back in the hive. That’s a Russian for you, being trouble right from the start. This just goes to show that if it can happen, it will happen with bees.
Donna  
 :o
Bee Good

Anonymous

where is the queen
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 11:58:15 pm »
Welcome to the fourm. I must say that queen flying away would have spooked me too.
 :roll:  Alls well that ends well they say so I just it applys to you.
 :D Al

anything